The Small Things

As a child, I was never interested in playing sports or running around outside. I spent most of my time seated at the peninsula in my parents kitchen with my clay.
I can’t remember now, but I know I had some sort of book to guide me along. However, I’m sure they were meant to be larger in the end. My goal was to try to make them as small as possible, with the same details.

So let me share with you my finest creations. . .

I set her next to the Starbucks cup to give you some perspective. . .

These two sumo wrestlers were my favorite.

I guess one lost his head in a battle somewhere between 1996 and 2012.

A little superglue and we’re good to go.

Here are the frogs, snakes and lizards. I had a thing for frogs.

Next is one of the best looking cakes I’ve ever seen.

And some other food.

And again, another photo just to help you with some perspective on just how tiny these are.

And I particularly love this worm with the crooked top hat.

So I was basically the coolest 10 year old ever, right?

In all seriousness, it is funny to look back on these little creations and see parts of my personality. I’m super detailed with things I care about. I’m creative. I enjoy the challenge in making small things, like jewelry and clay creatures.

So let this be a sign, for all you mom’s of 10 year olds who want to stay inside and make crafts alone, she may wind up to be a hair blogger like me one day.

Comments

These are so darn adorable! I was the same way, but my creations were not nearly that good :). I would always pick crafts inside over running around getting sweaty :)

adorable! And now I know why it’s called ‘the small things’ blog… you like cute little (small) things! You were a super skilled 10 yr old for sure :)

This is so cute! You were a skilled clay figure maker – my frogs and pigs and sumo guys would have been so ugly compared to those! You patient, patient girl for getting all of those details in on such little figures.

Wow. It was amazing to see so tiny even you make them in great shapes and looks. I don’t think I can make like that when I was 10! It is so cute to see them!

• says

Oh my gosh, so many memories! That’s the book I had. I made the exact same tooth fairy jar at the bottom, and the little mouse with clothes. I wish I knew what I did with everything now!

5. Anonymous says

Awww I made the same things out of clay…was it called Sculpy? I loved making beads a lot too. Except mine were regular sized…lol. :)

Those are so tiny & adorable! I don’t think I could make those with such precision, love that you still have them so this day :)

Lindsay @
    LindsayJEveryday.blogspot.com

What adorable creations. It’s funny how the things we are into as a child continue to grow with us in some way as adults. I used to love to play with my mom’s antiques and candlesticks — I’d arrange them in fun patterns — and “display” my Barbie collection or rock collection. Now a side job I have is styling decor for people, and another I do is personal organization. What a neat post!

8. Anonymous says

My 10 year old loves to make little clay things. It’s like looking at her creations. How neat! :) -Kelly

I had the Klutz Polymer Clay book, too! Somewhere I have a piggie with a penny sticking out of it’s back like a tiny piggie bank. And I am sure that I made a few worms. I am thinking that the clay that came with my book must have been really old or something because it was super hard and a bear to knead enough to work with.

I remember a book from American Girl that taught you how to make little small things out of clay. Do you think it was that? So cute :D

I have followed your blog for a while now, & finally got the courage to start my own! Just wanted to say that I love your blog & look forward to more postings!
    Oh, & my favorite one is the piggy! HAHA.

12. Anonymous says

You should sell these!! You could also make them into pins & pendants for your E. Ashlie line. Seriously, you should consider this…you have a real talent! (and this comes from a graphic artist, me!) At least make a few & see how they do..I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised! –Karen

13. Michele says

Such adorable creations! Thanks for pointing out that it’s ok for children to do their own thing. After all, that’s what makes the world go ’round! Variety is the spice of life, etc., etc.! Also, great hair really helps, right?! Happy 4th, Kate!

Too funny! Don’t worry – you aren’t alone :) I never played a sport in my life, and hated to sweat. I was the child who would have rather sat in the corner armchair immersed in a novel all day. I (amazingly) turned out normal. As “normal” as an English major, turned attorney can be anyway :)

15. Jenn M. says

Oh my gosh those are adorable! I just recently started playing with play-doh again since I have a 3 year old son (secretly I have a blast!) and it brings back so many fond memories. That’s awesome that you still have those little pieces from your childhood.

We clearly had the exact same book. I remember making the same cake, oreos, pie, pig, and frogs. I was even obsessed with frogs for a while too! It’s like you found my collection of miniature clay models and posted them here.

17. Ashley S says

So cute! Random question- what kind of camera/lens do you use? Your pictures are always so great!

18. Anonymous says

How ironic that you used to make these and the title of your blog is “the small things?” haha

Oh my goodness, I used to do tiny things like that as well. I got good at it at one stage and my mother (part-time cake decorator), got me to make little marzipan characters for her cakes. Lovely work!

Yesss, I had the same book too! I think it was from the Klutz Press family. I have some nearly identical cakes, pies, and ice cream sundaes… and that worm with a hat looks rather familiar too. I think our 10 year old selves would have gotten along well!

I stumbled on your blog a long time ago and I just saw this post… and when I did my jaw dropped. I used to do the exact same thing AND make some of the same animals you did! I seriously have 3 frogs and they all have little red tongues on them. You are seriously talented though! I’m glad I stumbled upon this because it made me like you and your blog even more than I already do! Take care!

xo