The Sideways French Twist

Several months ago I showed you how to do the Chic Updo. My hair was right at my shoulders, and it was closest I could get to this style

Now that my hair is a little bit longer, I was able to show you a different way to start this style, and how to get a higher and fuller finish.

You don’t need to have curled hair to do this style, but it may help when it comes to bending your ends under!

The products mentioned in this video are:

Not mentioned, but still used: Aquage Uplifting Foam

Earrings: Francesca’s
Dress: Modcloth (full image here)

Comments

1. Susan says

Gorgeous! I always have trouble putting in the bobby pins like you do. Can you do a tutorial on how you insert the bobby pins? You make it look so easy! :) Thanks!

• Anonymous says

I would love a tutorial on bobby pins, too!!! There are so many styles I would love to do, but can’t seem to figure out those darn bobby pins!

• Anonymous says

my hair is so thick, it doesn’t seem to want to hold onto my bobby pins and I don’t know what to do about it. i like her half french roll styles too. I use a great big fancy comb to hold it instead of pins because the comb holds my hair better

Totally off subject, but the bib necklaces you love so much are on sale at groopdealz for 19.99! They’re available in just about every color you could imagine :) I ordered myself two!

You and I have pretty much the same hair, color
    and all. I had it short for several years. Florida
    is so hot all the time but I let it grow out this
    past winter and am now ready for some nice up doo’s.

Your video’s are so helpful and I’m enjoying watching
    and mastering my own hair…
    Thanks
    Sandy

4. Ruth says

Kate, this is gorgeous. I’m trying to grow out my hair so that I can do more of your hairstyles in the tutorials. The tutorials are so helpful! :)You are seriously so talented to learn all those tutorials by yourself. Thanks for sharing them!

5. Anonymous says

This look is very pretty Kate, but I think it makes you appear too matronly. Possibly it is the top that you are wearing, mixed with the drop earrings. It reminds me of something from Little House on the Prairie. Please don’t get me wrong. I am not bashing you. It was just my first reaction when I saw the pics.Possibly with a light, breezy summer top or a sundress it would appear differently.

6. Anonymous says

CUTE!!! This is such an adorable hairstyle on you :) I wish my hair wasn’t short :( But I must try it when it is longer!!
    -Elisabeth

7. Miranda says

Hi Kate, I love this style! I have fairly long hair (about shoulder blade length) and I’m wondering what the best way to put the sections of hair up would be for length?

• Anonymous says

My hair is shoulder blade lenght as well (or maybe even a bit longer) I also want to know how to do this hairstyle with longer hair, realy love this updo.
      Miryam

8. Anonymous says

Your hair color is beautiful! Could you please give some information about what line/toner you use on your highlights so I can try and recreate! Thanks.

9. Anonymous says

You are so cute! I love your hair tutorials. Could you do a tutorial for curly/wavy hair? And some good products to use for frizz. Thanks! Amy

Kate, your hair and dress both are adorable! The color of the dress also looks very good on you. Are the earrings some that you and your sister made?

Anyway, you look fabulous!

Jane

11. Anonymous says

kate,

I have a QUESTION!!! you seem really at ease with your body and comfortable in your own skin. Do you have any body issues? If so, how do you handle them? Your amazing!

12. Anonymous says

You make it look so easy! I think I have it then look in the mirror and it’s a rats nest! Lol my hair is very sim to yours just need more hands!

13. Anonymous says

I just wanted to say that I admire your clothing selections – modest, stylish, and feminine (at least what I’ve seen!) It inspires me to just take the time to do my hair nice and find modest/feminine clothes (a feat of wonder in the small town where I’m from)
    Thanks – keep it up!

~ A 14-yr-old from Canada

Just wanted to let you know that I picked up some Kenra 25 yesterday and it has changed my life!!!! I always wondered why my hair would never stay the way I wanted it to….well go figure, my hair spray sucked! Thank you so much for recommending this product! My bangs aren’t in my eyes for the first time ever!

You do such great tutorials and have great styles…plus I love your hair! Thanks for all the knowledge you share…I’m gonna give this one a try tonight!

I just tried this today and it turned out great!!! I had curled my hair last night so I still had loose waves this morning. This was a perfect day 2 hairstyle! Lots of compliments… Thank you so much ;)

Sigh…I wish you could come to my house and do my hair everyday! I’ll have to try this out myself I guess, because it’s fabulous! :)

18. Lauren says

love this! but maybe its not meant to be if you have long hair? mine falls below my elbows. i’ve been trying to get it down for a wedding on saturday but theres too much hair! guess thats a good thing rather than a bad thing lol love the look!

19. jenniferchristine says

HI! Just love ALL your hair tutorials! I am a 37 mom of two with long hair…over 22 inches. So, I have been taking your hairstyles and tweeking them a bit to use with my length of hair. So far they have been working out! Thanks so much for the inspiration!
    God bless,
    Jennifer Christine

20. Anonymous says

Oh my goodness, Kate…really!? I LOVE this hairstyle and it seems so easy! Thank you for sharing…I can’t wait to get home from work and try it out!

Hi! That top picture is ME! On my wedding day 5 years ago ;) A sorority sister of mine saw this and brought it to my attention! So glad you liked it, yours looks beautiful!
    -Lindsey

22. Cassie A. says

Kate, you have literally changed my life. I’ve always said that I wanted to take a class on how to style my own hair in cute, new ways. Thanks to you I have been rocking a new ‘do every day and it has helped pull me out of my post-breakup slump. I feel pretty every day! Thank you so much for everything that you do!!

Kate, just thought you’d like to know, your blog has changed my LIFE! I FINALLY know how to do my hair and make it have volume and loveliness everyday! I can’t believe I have been walking around my whole life letting my hair be limp, flat and lifeless! Thank you for your easy to follow hairstyling videos!

The discount swiss rolex enhance a woman’s style quotient and their pricing comfortably fits into the catier jewellery budget. They being so low priced, people tend to buy more than one mens jackets
    at a given time. With the hoped for designer miu miu hobo bags being available at such an easy price no coco chanel online one can actually stay away from them. Therefore, if you are contemplating about whether to purchase hermes bag outlet or not, then you should go for them without any delay and buy handbags at will. With the availability of varied color and sassy designer louis vuitton wallets and that too at a cheap price, women can get the omega speedmaster watches according to their preference without any issues related to price.

“Nothing like a moshpit or anything…” LOL!!! Not only are these videos educational, but they’re hilarious, too. :P

I love this style! What would you do with longer hair where the tails are trickier to tuck in?

xoxo
    Emily
    emilyannestyle.com

I wore this hairdo to a gala last weekend, and it was GREAT! I did the top like the “half to full undo” because I have some really short layers, and the bottom in the twist. I got so many compliments, I was even told that I looked like Audrey Hepburn! (my hair is pretty dark!) I LOVE this blog, I read it all the time! Thanks :)

I did this for a formal fundraiser event and people were complimenting me all night-I passed on your blog address! Today I’m rocking the french braid/side messy bun and a MALE coworker just complimented me on my hair. You make it so easy – thank you!

28. Helen says

Dear Kate, I absolutely adore your tutorials, but unfortunately, they aren’t working for me because my hair is just too long (inferior angle of my shoulder blade). Do you have any advice? Besides cutting my hair, because I really like it’s lenght.

29. Stacie says

Hi – I have never been able to do an updo myself, and I had a fancy work event Friday night and followed this step by step and it turned out perfect on the first try!! Lasted all through the night. All of the girls at my table had their hair professionally done and mine looked better than theirs. Thank you thank you!