The Sideways French Twist

Several months ago I showed you how to do the Chic Updo. My hair was right at my shoulders, and it was closest I could get to this style

Now that my hair is a little bit longer, I was able to show you a different way to start this style, and how to get a higher and fuller finish.

You don’t need to have curled hair to do this style, but it may help when it comes to bending your ends under!

The products mentioned in this video are:

Not mentioned, but still used: Aquage Uplifting Foam

Earrings: Francesca’s
Dress: Modcloth (full image here)

1. Posted July 16, 2012

Just watched this tutorial and loved it, it’s inspired me to try it now my hair has grown out! Thankyou so much!

Sarah @ bluebellroad.blogspot.co.uk

2. Posted July 16, 2012

It’s so beautiful! I’m an idiot with my hair though, so I’ll leave the pretty hair-dos to you!

3. Susan says
    Posted July 16, 2012

Gorgeous! I always have trouble putting in the bobby pins like you do. Can you do a tutorial on how you insert the bobby pins? You make it look so easy! 🙂 Thanks!

• Anonymous says
      Posted July 16, 2012

I would love a tutorial on bobby pins, too!!! There are so many styles I would love to do, but can’t seem to figure out those darn bobby pins!

• Posted July 16, 2012

Me too! I know zig-zag side down, but I always have trouble knowing how much hair to grab with the pin . . .

.ivy

• Anonymous says
      Posted August 6, 2012

my hair is so thick, it doesn’t seem to want to hold onto my bobby pins and I don’t know what to do about it. i like her half french roll styles too. I use a great big fancy comb to hold it instead of pins because the comb holds my hair better

4. Posted July 16, 2012

Def trying thifor the wedding Iam going to tomorrow but my hair is back length.

5. Posted July 16, 2012

Beautiful – and suitable for any age! X

6. Posted July 16, 2012

Gorgeous! I can’t wait to try this style out. Thanks again Kate for your great hair tutorials.

E x

7. Posted July 16, 2012

lovely!:) as usual.

8. Posted July 16, 2012

Totally off subject, but the bib necklaces you love so much are on sale at groopdealz for 19.99! They’re available in just about every color you could imagine 🙂 I ordered myself two!

9. Shannan says
    Posted July 16, 2012

This is just to cute!! Thanks Kate, I now can’t wait for my hair to grow out!!!!!

10. Sandy says
    Posted July 16, 2012

You and I have pretty much the same hair, color
    and all. I had it short for several years. Florida
    is so hot all the time but I let it grow out this
    past winter and am now ready for some nice up doo’s.

Your video’s are so helpful and I’m enjoying watching
    and mastering my own hair…
    Thanks
    Sandy

11. Anonymous says

BEAUTIFUL!!!

andrea

12. Posted July 16, 2012

i used the knot picture as inspiration for my hair as a bridesmaid in a friend’s wedding and it looked great! 🙂

13. Posted July 16, 2012

Super pretty. Can’t wait to see you at Becoming… or Target in Apex. 🙂

14. Ruth says
    Posted July 16, 2012

Kate, this is gorgeous. I’m trying to grow out my hair so that I can do more of your hairstyles in the tutorials. The tutorials are so helpful! :)You are seriously so talented to learn all those tutorials by yourself. Thanks for sharing them!

15. Anonymous says
    Posted July 16, 2012

This look is very pretty Kate, but I think it makes you appear too matronly. Possibly it is the top that you are wearing, mixed with the drop earrings. It reminds me of something from Little House on the Prairie. Please don’t get me wrong. I am not bashing you. It was just my first reaction when I saw the pics.Possibly with a light, breezy summer top or a sundress it would appear differently.

16. Posted July 16, 2012

Love this one too bad my hair is not long enough to wear it this way..
    Love you and your blog..

17. Anonymous says
    Posted July 16, 2012

CUTE!!! This is such an adorable hairstyle on you 🙂 I wish my hair wasn’t short 🙁 But I must try it when it is longer!!
    -Elisabeth

18. Posted July 16, 2012

I love this glamorous look. It looks so effortless and chic. Can’t wait to wear it to a wedding at the end of the summer! Keep your fab tutorials coming 🙂

19. Miranda says
    Posted July 16, 2012

Hi Kate, I love this style! I have fairly long hair (about shoulder blade length) and I’m wondering what the best way to put the sections of hair up would be for length?

• Anonymous says
      Posted July 16, 2012

My hair is shoulder blade lenght as well (or maybe even a bit longer) I also want to know how to do this hairstyle with longer hair, realy love this updo.
      Miryam

20. Anonymous says
    Posted July 16, 2012

Love your hair color! Can you blog a little more about how you choose color for your hair.

21. Posted July 16, 2012

Shoot. I just lopped off my hair again! Inverted bob for the sweltering heat. I’ll have to try this one in a few months. Super cute!!

22. Anonymous says
    Posted July 16, 2012

Your hair color is beautiful! Could you please give some information about what line/toner you use on your highlights so I can try and recreate! Thanks.

23. Frances says
    Posted July 16, 2012

I want to try Aquage, but wanted to know if the company does animal testing. Does it say on the bottle if so or not?

• Anonymous says
      Posted July 16, 2012

You got me thinking so I just checked my bottle. It says “No animal testing”.

• Frances says
      Posted July 17, 2012

Great, thanks for checking!

24. Posted July 16, 2012

Such a great hair style. I am going to try it for work. And… I love your earrings, so cute. Where did you get them?

25. Anonymous says
    Posted July 16, 2012

You are so cute! I love your hair tutorials. Could you do a tutorial for curly/wavy hair? And some good products to use for frizz. Thanks! Amy

26. Jane says
    Posted July 16, 2012

Kate, your hair and dress both are adorable! The color of the dress also looks very good on you. Are the earrings some that you and your sister made?

Anyway, you look fabulous!

Jane

27. Amy says
    Posted July 16, 2012

Kate, great hair! So versatile depending on one’s lifestyle. You look radiant too btw.

28. Anonymous says
    Posted July 17, 2012

kate,

I have a QUESTION!!! you seem really at ease with your body and comfortable in your own skin. Do you have any body issues? If so, how do you handle them? Your amazing!

29. Posted July 17, 2012
  30. Posted July 17, 2012

This is soooo classy and pretty! I will definitely be trying this on my own hair soon. Thank you for the video!

31. Posted July 17, 2012

This comment has been removed by the author.

32. Posted July 17, 2012

WILL BE DOING THIS HAIRSTYLE FOR WORK:)

33. Moushka says
    Posted July 17, 2012

Lovely up-do, very elegant. I’m definitely going to try it out. Thanks so much for the video instructions.

34. Anonymous says
    Posted July 17, 2012

Can you do a tutorial on how to correctly apply bottom eyeliner?

35. Anonymous says
    Posted July 17, 2012

You make it look so easy! I think I have it then look in the mirror and it’s a rats nest! Lol my hair is very sim to yours just need more hands!

36. Anonymous says
    Posted July 17, 2012

I just wanted to say that I admire your clothing selections – modest, stylish, and feminine (at least what I’ve seen!) It inspires me to just take the time to do my hair nice and find modest/feminine clothes (a feat of wonder in the small town where I’m from)
    Thanks – keep it up!

~ A 14-yr-old from Canada

37. Posted July 17, 2012

Just wanted to let you know that I picked up some Kenra 25 yesterday and it has changed my life!!!! I always wondered why my hair would never stay the way I wanted it to….well go figure, my hair spray sucked! Thank you so much for recommending this product! My bangs aren’t in my eyes for the first time ever!

38. Anonymous says
    Posted July 17, 2012

Woohooo! Thanks to your tutorial, I was able to style my hair this way.

39. Posted July 17, 2012

Great blog! I´m following you

40. Posted July 17, 2012

Very pretty!

41. Posted July 18, 2012

KATE, you just crack me up! I loved your advice about what type of events to wear this hairstyle to…haha no moshing or crazy head shaking 😉

42. Posted July 18, 2012

Prim, proper, and lovely. THANK YOU for another great tutorial! (Oh, and I third or fourth or fifteenth the request for you to do a tutorial on bobby pins – please!)

43. Amy says
    Posted July 18, 2012

You do such great tutorials and have great styles…plus I love your hair! Thanks for all the knowledge you share…I’m gonna give this one a try tonight!

44. Posted July 19, 2012

I just tried this today and it turned out great!!! I had curled my hair last night so I still had loose waves this morning. This was a perfect day 2 hairstyle! Lots of compliments… Thank you so much 😉

45. Stacy says
    Posted July 19, 2012

Sigh…I wish you could come to my house and do my hair everyday! I’ll have to try this out myself I guess, because it’s fabulous! 🙂

46. kristin says
    Posted July 20, 2012

Adorable, Kate! By the way, you look beautiful in blue!

47. Posted July 20, 2012

This is gorgeous — thanks so much for sharing! 🙂

48. Lauren says
    Posted July 21, 2012

love this! but maybe its not meant to be if you have long hair? mine falls below my elbows. i’ve been trying to get it down for a wedding on saturday but theres too much hair! guess thats a good thing rather than a bad thing lol love the look!

49. jenniferchristine says
    Posted July 21, 2012

HI! Just love ALL your hair tutorials! I am a 37 mom of two with long hair…over 22 inches. So, I have been taking your hairstyles and tweeking them a bit to use with my length of hair. So far they have been working out! Thanks so much for the inspiration!
    God bless,
    Jennifer Christine

50. Anonymous says
    Posted July 26, 2012

Oh my goodness, Kate…really!? I LOVE this hairstyle and it seems so easy! Thank you for sharing…I can’t wait to get home from work and try it out!

51. Posted September 26, 2012

Hi! That top picture is ME! On my wedding day 5 years ago 😉 A sorority sister of mine saw this and brought it to my attention! So glad you liked it, yours looks beautiful!
    -Lindsey

52. Cassie A. says
    Posted September 29, 2012

Kate, you have literally changed my life. I’ve always said that I wanted to take a class on how to style my own hair in cute, new ways. Thanks to you I have been rocking a new ‘do every day and it has helped pull me out of my post-breakup slump. I feel pretty every day! Thank you so much for everything that you do!!

53. Posted November 4, 2012

Kate, just thought you’d like to know, your blog has changed my LIFE! I FINALLY know how to do my hair and make it have volume and loveliness everyday! I can’t believe I have been walking around my whole life letting my hair be limp, flat and lifeless! Thank you for your easy to follow hairstyling videos!

54. Cecily says
    Posted November 28, 2012

It’d be so cute with a braid as the “decoration” on that last section, too. Options, options. 🙂 What a fun blog! Happy to have found it. 🙂

55. Posted December 8, 2012

The discount swiss rolex enhance a woman’s style quotient and their pricing comfortably fits into the catier jewellery budget. They being so low priced, people tend to buy more than one mens jackets
    at a given time. With the hoped for designer miu miu hobo bags being available at such an easy price no coco chanel online one can actually stay away from them. Therefore, if you are contemplating about whether to purchase hermes bag outlet or not, then you should go for them without any delay and buy handbags at will. With the availability of varied color and sassy designer louis vuitton wallets and that too at a cheap price, women can get the omega speedmaster watches according to their preference without any issues related to price.

56. Asha says
    Posted December 13, 2012

Please let me know if you’re looking for a writer for your blog. You have some really good posts and I believe I would be a good asset. If you ever want to take some of the load off, I’d love to write some articles for your blog in exchange for a link back to mine.
    p/skincare.html/]how do you get rid of acne
    p/hair.html]hairstyles
    p/makeup.html]how to make up
    p/fashion.html]fashion blog

57. Emily says
    Posted December 26, 2012

“Nothing like a moshpit or anything…” LOL!!! Not only are these videos educational, but they’re hilarious, too. 😛

I love this style! What would you do with longer hair where the tails are trickier to tuck in?

xoxo
    Emily
    emilyannestyle.com

58. Lyla says
    Posted March 11, 2013

You make it all so much simpler! Thank you!

59. Posted March 13, 2013

I wore this hairdo to a gala last weekend, and it was GREAT! I did the top like the “half to full undo” because I have some really short layers, and the bottom in the twist. I got so many compliments, I was even told that I looked like Audrey Hepburn! (my hair is pretty dark!) I LOVE this blog, I read it all the time! Thanks 🙂

60. Posted May 1, 2013

I did this for a formal fundraiser event and people were complimenting me all night-I passed on your blog address! Today I’m rocking the french braid/side messy bun and a MALE coworker just complimented me on my hair. You make it so easy – thank you!

61. Posted August 1, 2013

Love this hairstyle! It is so cute. Thank you for the hair inspiration! I will be trying some styles soon.

Tifani Sipes

62. Helen says
    Posted May 22, 2014

Dear Kate, I absolutely adore your tutorials, but unfortunately, they aren’t working for me because my hair is just too long (inferior angle of my shoulder blade). Do you have any advice? Besides cutting my hair, because I really like it’s lenght.

63. Stacie says
    Posted June 23, 2014

Hi – I have never been able to do an updo myself, and I had a fancy work event Friday night and followed this step by step and it turned out perfect on the first try!! Lasted all through the night. All of the girls at my table had their hair professionally done and mine looked better than theirs. Thank you thank you!

64. Posted August 27, 2014

{

65. Trisha T says
    Posted June 27, 2015

I am a waitress at a 5star hotel and restaurant and I have had the worst time with my hair up do’s until I started looking around Pinterest and found you. Thank you so much for “holding your own mirror” and posting anyway! Looking forward to more!

66. Olivia says
    Posted July 18, 2015

Would this be possible for extremely long hair? Like hair that is a little over your bottom. This is really cute and I am looking for cute updo’s; however, I have hair that is very long. Could you just tuck more or would it be to heavy?

67. jordan says
    Posted September 17, 2015

thank you so much for this tutorial. i am going to the opera in ten days and this will be perfect!

68. Bettina says
    Posted September 30, 2015

Hi Kate, a few weeks ago I came across your blog in search of something that I could do with my hair at my wedding as I am not a young and beautiful bride but 50+ 🙂
    I like my hair and certainly I wanted to look as beautiful AND natural as possible. I found your “sideway-french-twist”-Tutorial and loved it! Then I practised a few times…

Last Friday my husband and I got married on a small German Island (I’m German and he is English) . Everything was so wonderful and just the way I had wished for us. I know it’s just a small extra but I did my hair as I had learned from your tutorial. I added a few hair pins with beads in the colour of my dress and I was so so happy with it. It fitted to us and to me: elegant and festive but at the same time not too overdone dressed up (at this point I have to say sorry for my English and my husband is not here to help me 😉 ).

I’d like to send you a photo just of my hair if you like but I don’t want to be obtrusive!

I do not have plenty of time to follow your blog and try out all your tips and advices but I read with interest about your life with your young children and the love and care which shines through your words! I remember very well how life was (I had three sons under three as my “second child” has been twins. Now they are big boys of 28 and 25 (twins!) and all the time I felt so blessed with my family).

All the best for you and your lovely family!
    Cheers from Germany,
    Bettina

69. Posted December 5, 2015

Thank you for the great video. You are so cute! Your outfits and hair are feminine and stylish. Thanks for sharing with the rest of us. I’m wearing my hair like this tonight to a Christmas party.