Emily Inspired Hair

I’m sure you’ve seen photos of Emily Maynard around lately. Either from tabloids or the show The Bachelorette.
Her signature look these days is long with a little twist/curl toward the ends. I like how subtle it is, without being too curly.

See how the top sections are mostly straight?

Here is my closest look to “Emily hair”. The key is to soften the curls immediately after you take them out of the iron.

*curling iron is 1 1/4 inch
emily inspired

about 8 hours after it was styled that morning:

Shirt: J. Crew
Jewelry: Elisabeth Ashlie Jewelry

It held up pretty well, right? That’s how wonderful Kenra Volume 25 hairspray is!

Comments

Very pretty Kate! Styled, yet relaxed. Wow. I’m impressed with that hairspray…salon only? If your humidity has been anything like ours up here in VA, and your hair looks that good after 8 hours. Um, I need some! :-) Happy Monday!

I got some kenra 25 and the roost booster and still have the aquage uplifting hoping to play around while wait for ur post on thin fine hair. Ur hair looks great.

I bought the kenra 25 hairspray a couple weeks ago and love it!!! I curled my hair yesterday and had to be exposed to the rain (thanks T.S. Debby) and my hair acutally held up well.

I love this look. It reminds me of a shorter version of Gretchen Rossi’s hair. I started reading your blog on Thursday and I am addicted :)

9. Ellen C says

I love this style! It looks fantastic. I’m a big fan of the soft curled ends and volume. Keep up the great work! Love your hair tutorial videos :)

I can never get my hair back combed like you….I have a hard time getting lift because my hair is so think! Could you show a close up picture of the tool/comb you use to back comb and give me some tips on what to look for when I buy a comb specifically for back combing? Thanks so much!!!

OK Your hair tutorials are seriously saving my life but I need one tutorial that you may or may not be able to help with. How do you suggest blow drying naturally wavy hair so that you can have smooth FLAT hair?? Because this is the secret I have never learned.

My hair is so long and doesn’t hold curl very well so this is pretty much all I can accomplish! Curled ends with a straight top are my go to. Every now and then I just want more body and shape so I pull out the smaller iron and load up on hairspray.

You are amazing though, Kate. I have honestly thought to myself, if I could get her to deal with my hair then maybe I could learn a thing or two and have it more the way I want it.

I too am willing to try the hairspray. I have thick wavy hair that will frizz so easily in MS heat. I currently use cheap spray can hairspray but it works in this heat. I am concerned about it drying my hair out.

I gotta say, Kate, I think your hair looks better than Emily’s! You have more volume and her hair is looking a little brassy these days… You could teach that girl a thing or two!

15. Anonymous says

Hi, I just found your blog through pinterest. Your hair is amazing. I love the colour. I actually want that hair colour :) What would/should I tell my hairdresser? Whenever I say blonde I end up with gold hair. Thanks for sharing!!

16. Anonymous says

While blow drying your hair do you use a rollar brush? Or do you have you head completely upside down and just blow it dry? I just love the look after you blow dry it. I bought the products you use now I just need the info on blow drying it. Thanks so much with your videos. Love the step by step instructions!

17. Anonymous says

I see that your curling iron is from Hot Tools however it is the ceramic model. What is the different between the ceramic and the Gold curling Iron?

YAY! I love it!! I was just thinking, I wish I could figure out how to style my hair like that. I think Emily uses curlers though. What kind of curlers would you suggest?

19. Anonymous says

Love it! My hair is naturallly curled but frizzy. I have to blow dry it staight first. But gonna try it!! Except for the teasing part…..never works for me. Think my hair is to long or I am just not good at it.

Kate,

You’re hair has a TON of shine to it and I envied you for a long time (what can I say, I’m a sinner envying others) but I began using all your products about a month ago. The results? Shine, shine, shine and NO frizzes.
    Emily’s style is cute, but I like a few f yours much better…
    Thanks bunches for this amazing site <3

21. Anonymous says

I found you through Pinterest- and have been addicted ever since! You are awesome!
    I tried this look this morning and my hair looks great! I have superrrr thick hair, so soft and toned down is hard to come by for me. Thank you!

22. Kate says

Happy Birthday Kate!

Tried the “emily” tutorial last night, and had total success! Your blog has totally reinvigorated creativity with my hair! Thank you!

Thanks so much for sharing these hair styles. I’m a stay at home mom and am always looking for ways to make my hair have a little style wihtout spending too much time on it! Thanks again.

I just came across your blog via Pinterest recently and am in lurve! I think I watched all of your video tutorials in one day and have a running list of products to buy now I am most thankful for showing me how to style my hair with a curling iron correctly, and just opening up my mind to all the little pretty things you can do with hair. I have an almost two year old boy and realize that it’s ok to curl my hair for no reason other than to just feel pretty. Thanks Kate!

Sabina

25. Tracy F says

I just found your blog and I absolutely love it! I love all the fashion tips and how to videos!! I have very thick hair and I normally just wear it strait. I flat iron it but that is about all I can stand after 20 mins of blowdrying. My hair is just above my shoulders. I got some highlights and a hair cut last night (my step mom is my hairdresser) and I attempted this style this morning. By the time I got to work, all my curl had morphed into one. How do I prevent this from happening? I used no product on my hair except Paul Mitchell hairspray.
    Thanks!

26. Robyn says

I just love reading your blog everyday! I have shoulder length hair and was wondering what size curling iron you would use on that length. I have tried using a 1.5 inch iron before and end up with with big wave all around my head! Thanks for all the advice!!

27. Hilary says

I have naturally curly hair – I guess it’s more wavy, so when I blow dry it there are a lot of wavy sections. Should I straighten my hair before attempting to curl it?

28. Anonymous says

OK! I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your blog. I have been follwing for quite sometime and love telling others about you:) I really, really wish we lived closer so you could cut/style my hair. Did you know how hard it is to find a stylist who layers how you want your hair layered? I go to a hip girl with awesome style and hair and even after telling her/showing how I want layers- I still end up with them more just straight across the bottom with a few in an upper level. It is not what I am wishing for. I want Kelly Ripa/ Emily Maynard perfect long short/long layers. So, that when I curl my hair it stacks right and if I use a flat iron it doesn’t look pretty much all one length. Or I seem to get the old Rachel two level layers:( What’s a girl to do. Well, I wish I could make a road trip:) Thanks for giving me something to look forward to 1st thing in the morning with my coffee:)

29. Melissa Mirarchi says

I can’t ever get curls to stay in my hair. I’ve tried all your tricks including setting the curls, spraying with hairspray and using a higher setting on the curling iron. It looks great when I do it, but falls out completely 1-2 hours later. I don’t know what else to do! :-(

30. Miss Heather says

I love this style so much! I do and I can’t wait to try it this weekend, but I don’t wear my hair to the side…I have a center part so I was wondering if you could maybe do a tutorial on center parting because I am just horrible at it :( I would really appreciate your expertise please!

Your hair looks really pretty straight. You should wear it straight more often. Oh and I love aquage foam and kenra hairspray. Thanks for the reccommendation. I tried not wearing aquage yesterday and I could not believe the difference!

32. Nicole says

is there any chance you can show the answers to most of these questions? I’m assuming you replied to most of them via email, but many of us have the same questions – I would love to see the answers here.

I for one also wanted to know about the earrings you are wearing in the video.

This can be why the hermes bag outlet handbags created by well-known designers are extremely costly. You may have confidence in cheap louis vuitton handbags which you will get your funds’s well worth whenever you purchase one particular. omega watches for women For people who cannot afford for being thousands of money for the bag are often left with no option but to just wish for these gifts for girls. If that you are one particular of these individuals, you will not must worry! women rolex watches are obtainable for you personally. You can now help save a good deal of money from shopping catier bangles for your favored designer handbags. This could truly be very handy given that you don’t need to invest so much for these softshell jackets.

Was initially actually shopping for just a typical shower enclosures before I uncovered this web site, did not
    even know there were such a thing as a ‘steam shower
    enclosure’, fantastic, may just have to buy one

Wonderful page, been searching forever and a day for ideas on the perfect rattan furniture for our home and in our back garden. This website sincerely helpedgreat blog
    some great info here