30×30 Challenge

I’ve been inspired.

For several months I’ve stumbled across various style bloggers that do this thing called “30×30”. Basically, they take 30 items from their closet and make 30 outfits from them. It’s a way to challenge yourself to be creative and rethink your wardrobe while trying to avoid shopping.

And I think that is a great idea.

Based on my search, I believe the originator of this idea* is Kendi, from Kendi Everyday. You can click here to read about why she started this challenge, and while you are there please just go ahead and follow her blog. She’s awesome. I love her outfits. I’m sure you’ll enjoy seeing her posts as much as I do!
*if for some reason I’m wrong, send me an e-mail so I can give proper credit.

And so, my sister and I are embarking on the 30×30 challenge. And we are making it a link up–so you can join us too.

Basically, do whatever you want. If you want to do 40×40, 10×5, 4×8, it doesn’t matter. The goal is to try to create new outfits based on clothing you already have.

There will be a weekly link up over at From My Grey Desk Blog, where you can share your outfits. From that link up, we’ll pick our favorite outfit that week and feature it on the following week’s link up page. We’re not looking for amazingly perfect photoshopped photos, or the coolest background with the sun setting at just the right angle–we’re looking at clothes. So go ahead and stand in your mirror and take a photo with your iPhone.

We’ll begin by sharing the 30 items we’ve chosen. Each week, we’ll share a few outfit posts until we run out of options.

Want to get in on the fun? Here’s how it will work:

Every Tuesday (starting June 19th) you can link up over at From My Grey Desk Blog with ONE post that features up to THREE outfits from the 30 items you chose from your closet (which means that the challenge will last at least 10 weeks). Then, you can check back the following week to see if your outfit(s) was picked as our favorite of the week! And link up another few outfits.

Grab the button below and spread the word!

Photobucket

The 30 Items!
1. Target 2. J.Crew 3. Target 4. J.Crew Factory(similar) 5. TJ Maxx 6. The Loft 7. Anne Taylor Outlet 8. The Loft Outlet 9. The Loft 10. TJ Maxx

1. Banana Republic Outlet(similar) 2. J.Crew 3. Banana Republic(similar) 4. J. Crew Outlet 5. J. Crew Outlet(samesimilar)

1. BP, Nordstroms 2. Gap 3. Banana Republic Outlet

1. Alfani 2. Gap Outlet 3. Bandolino 4. Franco Sarto 5. Target

1. Various places 2. Stella & Dot 3. Target + Elisabeth Ashlie Earrings 4. Elisabeth Ashlie 5. Target + Francesca’s 6. Francesca’s + Elisabeth Ashlie Jewelry 7. Ebay

1. Posted June 14, 2012

I’ve loved this idea for awhile! Can’t wait to see what you girls come up with 🙂

Maria

2. Rebecca says
    Posted June 14, 2012

Awesome! I just finished a 15 for 15, so I will gracefully bow out of this challenge. But, I am looking forward to seeing your outfits!

3. Nicole says
    Posted June 14, 2012

love this! you’ve started me thinking… how can i do this with stella & dot?! making this happen 🙂 thanks, kate!

4. Anonymous says
    Posted June 14, 2012

I just looked in my closet and I don’t even have 30 items… Maybe I’ll try my own challenge with a lower number 🙂

5. Casie says
    Posted June 14, 2012

Ooo I’m in!

6. Posted June 14, 2012

I have noticed other bloggers doing this for a few years. I want to give it a go too and think you have given me the push I need.
    Kendi has a handly little e-book on her site with some useful advice on organising your 30X30 wardrobe.
    PS Thanks for your wonderful hair tutorials. My hair has never looked better and I have been telling my readers all about them.

7. Cassandra says
    Posted June 14, 2012

cant wait to see your outfits! you always look beautiful.

8. Posted June 14, 2012

This is so much fun! I can’t wait to see what everyone comes up with. We are road tripping for two week starting later on this month… this might be the perfect opportunity to pack light and make sure to take pictures every day. 🙂

9. Rissy says
    Posted June 14, 2012

I can’t wait to check back and see all your outfits! I am quite jealous of all the color in your wardrobe! and your accessories are amazing. I’m sure you can change up your outfits just with those.

Good luck!

CarissaExplainsItAll

10. Posted June 14, 2012

Can’t wait to see what you come up with! Also I have those same hangers but I have a problem when I hang them on sweaters or even shirts they end up having a bump/bubble on the shoulder part. Are you having the same problem on some of your outfits?

Have fun being creative! 🙂

11. MsSecAF says
    Posted June 14, 2012

This sounds so awesome!! I bet you will come up with super cute outfits! I love the grey skirt from J.Crew.

I’m going to a summer program on the east coast and I’m feeling challenged to try this to keep my packing light! I have a whole lot of academic materials to pack along with my clothes and this could be the perfect solution! I might expand the number just a little bit because we have to have cocktail attire outfits for a few events and I don’t’ have a cute J. Crew skirt like yours to dress my tops up.

Can’t wait to see how your journey goes!

12. Rachel says
    Posted June 14, 2012

I just finished up a Dress Challenge (8 weeks of wearing only dresses or skirts) could I just post those?

13. Emily says
    Posted June 14, 2012

Kate, I love this idea! I’m doing a smaller scale one with my packing list for NYC. Hope to get mine up and running soon, too!

Here’s how I’ve been handling summertime fashion!

xoxo
    Emily
    emilyannestyle.com

14. Posted June 14, 2012

I’ve already been inspired – I put together my outfit for today pairing items I’ve never worn together before. I feel like I have a brand new outfit. 🙂

15. Posted June 14, 2012

i love ideas like this, i did the style me may challenge last month with http://www.deanstreetsociety.com where each day you had to create an outfit based on a theme and the current contents of your wardrobe with no new additions. it really made me look at what i have in my closet and what i wear and what is just collecting dust. it was really refreshing to mix outfits up in new ways. i will definitely be taking part in your challenge, cant wait to see how everyone does 😀

jess x x x
    thelilywhiteenglishrose.blogspot.com

16. Donna says
    Posted June 14, 2012

I love the gray eyeshadow you are wearing. What brand is it and color? I went out and bought some of the Target t-shirts last night after seeing your orange one the other day.

17. Posted June 14, 2012

Great ideas! Love your jewelry selection. I’m getting ready to pack for a 5-week vacation. Definitely gave me a lot of ideas to incorporate when I pack!

18. Posted June 14, 2012

Kate! Love watching you and reading your blog! I too am a Christian and love how you talk about how the beauty first has to come from the inside 🙂 your make up is always beautiful! In this video, what make up are you wearing and how do you get your under eye to look so bright?! I’m in a make up rut and ready for a change! Any advice is great 🙂

• Posted June 14, 2012

Do you wear MAC foundation and powder?

19. LBMM says
    Posted June 14, 2012

I love this challenge! I’ll be living out of a suitcase for the next three months (yay military!) and this might help my packing! Also, great job on the Jcrew ebay necklace find! I L-O-V-E love that necklace but absolutely refuse to pay 150 beans for it. I always forget about ebay!

20. Posted June 14, 2012

I have never commented before, but this is so cool! I love your style and can’t wait to see what you are wearing day-to-day! Thanks for being willing to do this and share it with your readers.

21. Posted June 14, 2012

so fun!! cant wait to see everything!

22. Posted June 14, 2012

oh so excited! can’t WAIT to take part!! xo

23. Posted June 15, 2012

This sounds so great!

24. Anonymous says
    Posted June 15, 2012

Great idea! I’ve already been inspired (…mostly to buy some of the Merona tees and some accessories to dress up existing outfits!).

25. Amber says
    Posted June 15, 2012

Love this idea! Very motivating! I was wondering what kind/color of lipstick/gloss you are wearing in your video? I have same skin tone as you and I love the color! Thanks!

26. Posted June 15, 2012

Great idea, Kate. I’m taking the challenge! Love that you mentioned in your video that you should work for Target. My hubby works for their headquarters which is based here in Minnesota. I love getting the corporate discount!

27. Rebecca says
    Posted June 15, 2012

I so needed this. Thanks for the inspiration.

28. Lindsay says
    Posted June 15, 2012

Love all your choices. I think you’re going to have a lot of fun. I love, love, love MERONA t-shirts. They fit the best. And they hold up really well, so they’re such a great affordable option. I can’t wait to see what you come up with. 🙂

29. Posted June 15, 2012

Love the idea! Love your item choices and that you can tell us where and when you got each piece (I so could do that with everything in my closet!) You are just adorable!!! Can’t wait to see what you come up with!

30. Posted June 15, 2012

I did the 30X30 last year and it was SO fun! It really did help me learn a lot of new ways to wear and style my clothes I already had. Have fun!!

31. Posted June 15, 2012

I follow your blog and LOVE everything about it! I am definitely going to try this! I am a Stella & Dot stylist, so I was excited to see that you’ll be incorporating us into your outfits!is it 30 items total? (including tops bottoms, shoes, and jewels?) I have a wide range of jewelry options that I would love to use,and I have more close than fit into my closet space, so I can’t wait to try this and kick my shopping addiction;)

Tanya Elliott
    stelladot.com/tanyamelliott

32. Georgia says
    Posted June 15, 2012

LOVE,LOVE,LOVE this idea!! Can’t wait to see what you and your sister come up with! Excited for a little inspiration!!

33. Posted June 15, 2012

really anxious to see what you put together with this pieces.. I suck at putting outfits together and as a result wear the same ol thing week after week.
    Going to Target to check out those tshirts too.

34. Raquel says
    Posted June 15, 2012

I’m excited to see what y’all come up with. If you have an iphone, there’s an app called Stylebook that can help you catalog your outfits/items in your closet.

35. Candice says
    Posted June 15, 2012

I love Kendi!!:-)

36. Posted June 15, 2012

Well I’ll try but I don’t think I have that many cute clothes!

37. Posted June 16, 2012

I seriously wish I could just hire you as my personal stylist. Fix my horrid mess of clothes. Pick out the right jewelry. I love reading your blog and your sister’s blog as well. I’m trying to learn, I’m trying… but then I just feel like a dork when I wear all the fancy stuff… you make it look so effortless!

38. Aubrey says
    Posted June 16, 2012

What a FAB idea! So excited to join in and see what everyone comes up with!

39. Laura Howe says
    Posted June 16, 2012

I’ve gotten so many great ideas from your blog! Your clothing style is a lot like mine so I can’t wait to see the outfits! Keep up all the fun style ideas!

40. Anna says
    Posted June 16, 2012

Really cute. Except, can you expand your color palate from gray and pink so those of us who aren’t blonde can get more ideas? Browns, maybe?

Posted June 26, 2012

If you do 30×30, you can pick whatever items work best for you. Browns don’t look great on me. . .

41. Posted June 16, 2012

I love this whole idea for various reasons. I love being green and reusing what we have. I love the idea of being more creative with a wardrobe and I am so done with purchasing a new outfit every time I need a special outfit. I did something similar and have so enjoyed my wardrobe. I am always looking for new looks and hopefully making more outfits with my own. I look forward to it.

42. Lemons says
    Posted June 17, 2012

I’m really looking forward to seeing the outfits you put together – I love all your choices.

43. Melanie says
    Posted June 18, 2012

Love this! Can’t wait to see what you come up with!
    -Melanie

44. Posted June 18, 2012

I love this idea! I often walk into my closet in the morning and wonder where the heck to start – this is a great way to think creatively. Definitely going to try it:)

45. sacgirl2003 says
    Posted July 15, 2012

Can you remember the name of the seller who you got the bangle from? I love it and have some plain gold bangles that it would coordinate with perfectly!! Thanks!

46. Krista says
    Posted August 21, 2012

This comment has been removed by the author.

47. Jen says
    Posted August 30, 2012

I really love the wardrobe cabinet in your photos. You don’t happen to remember where you got it from?

48. Posted May 29, 2013

Fantastic article here, especially for people like me who are just getting into the world of fashion industry and all your stuff are fabulous.specially the last 2 pictures.
    Eurostar-Citybreaks

49. Posted July 15, 2013

Love this.I didn’t know the accesories couted on the 30 items.I’m starting today.
    Kisses

50. Patty says
    Posted December 29, 2013

I’ve been inspired by you and Kendi and have started my own challenge: 30 outfits from 1 carryon. I’ll be starting on New Year. Check it out 🙂

51. Nikki says
    Posted August 27, 2015

I’d love to see a new version of this, Kate!