30×30 Challenge

I’ve been inspired.

For several months I’ve stumbled across various style bloggers that do this thing called “30×30″. Basically, they take 30 items from their closet and make 30 outfits from them. It’s a way to challenge yourself to be creative and rethink your wardrobe while trying to avoid shopping.

And I think that is a great idea.

Based on my search, I believe the originator of this idea* is Kendi, from Kendi Everyday. You can click here to read about why she started this challenge, and while you are there please just go ahead and follow her blog. She’s awesome. I love her outfits. I’m sure you’ll enjoy seeing her posts as much as I do!
*if for some reason I’m wrong, send me an e-mail so I can give proper credit.

And so, my sister and I are embarking on the 30×30 challenge. And we are making it a link up–so you can join us too.

Basically, do whatever you want. If you want to do 40×40, 10×5, 4×8, it doesn’t matter. The goal is to try to create new outfits based on clothing you already have.

There will be a weekly link up over at From My Grey Desk Blog, where you can share your outfits. From that link up, we’ll pick our favorite outfit that week and feature it on the following week’s link up page. We’re not looking for amazingly perfect photoshopped photos, or the coolest background with the sun setting at just the right angle–we’re looking at clothes. So go ahead and stand in your mirror and take a photo with your iPhone.

We’ll begin by sharing the 30 items we’ve chosen. Each week, we’ll share a few outfit posts until we run out of options.

Want to get in on the fun? Here’s how it will work:

Every Tuesday (starting June 19th) you can link up over at From My Grey Desk Blog with ONE post that features up to THREE outfits from the 30 items you chose from your closet (which means that the challenge will last at least 10 weeks). Then, you can check back the following week to see if your outfit(s) was picked as our favorite of the week! And link up another few outfits.

Grab the button below and spread the word!

Photobucket

The 30 Items!
1. Target 2. J.Crew 3. Target 4. J.Crew Factory(similar) 5. TJ Maxx 6. The Loft 7. Anne Taylor Outlet 8. The Loft Outlet 9. The Loft 10. TJ Maxx

1. Banana Republic Outlet(similar) 2. J.Crew 3. Banana Republic(similar) 4. J. Crew Outlet 5. J. Crew Outlet(samesimilar)

1. BP, Nordstroms 2. Gap 3. Banana Republic Outlet

1. Alfani 2. Gap Outlet 3. Bandolino 4. Franco Sarto 5. Target

1. Various places 2. Stella & Dot 3. Target + Elisabeth Ashlie Earrings 4. Elisabeth Ashlie 5. Target + Francesca’s 6. Francesca’s + Elisabeth Ashlie Jewelry 7. Ebay

Comments

1. Anonymous says

I just looked in my closet and I don’t even have 30 items… Maybe I’ll try my own challenge with a lower number :)

I have noticed other bloggers doing this for a few years. I want to give it a go too and think you have given me the push I need.
    Kendi has a handly little e-book on her site with some useful advice on organising your 30X30 wardrobe.
    PS Thanks for your wonderful hair tutorials. My hair has never looked better and I have been telling my readers all about them.

This is so much fun! I can’t wait to see what everyone comes up with. We are road tripping for two week starting later on this month… this might be the perfect opportunity to pack light and make sure to take pictures every day. :)

I can’t wait to check back and see all your outfits! I am quite jealous of all the color in your wardrobe! and your accessories are amazing. I’m sure you can change up your outfits just with those.

Good luck!

CarissaExplainsItAll

Can’t wait to see what you come up with! Also I have those same hangers but I have a problem when I hang them on sweaters or even shirts they end up having a bump/bubble on the shoulder part. Are you having the same problem on some of your outfits?

Have fun being creative! :)

This sounds so awesome!! I bet you will come up with super cute outfits! I love the grey skirt from J.Crew.

I’m going to a summer program on the east coast and I’m feeling challenged to try this to keep my packing light! I have a whole lot of academic materials to pack along with my clothes and this could be the perfect solution! I might expand the number just a little bit because we have to have cocktail attire outfits for a few events and I don’t’ have a cute J. Crew skirt like yours to dress my tops up.

Can’t wait to see how your journey goes!

i love ideas like this, i did the style me may challenge last month with http://www.deanstreetsociety.com where each day you had to create an outfit based on a theme and the current contents of your wardrobe with no new additions. it really made me look at what i have in my closet and what i wear and what is just collecting dust. it was really refreshing to mix outfits up in new ways. i will definitely be taking part in your challenge, cant wait to see how everyone does :D

jess x x x
    thelilywhiteenglishrose.blogspot.com

I love the gray eyeshadow you are wearing. What brand is it and color? I went out and bought some of the Target t-shirts last night after seeing your orange one the other day.

Great ideas! Love your jewelry selection. I’m getting ready to pack for a 5-week vacation. Definitely gave me a lot of ideas to incorporate when I pack!

Kate! Love watching you and reading your blog! I too am a Christian and love how you talk about how the beauty first has to come from the inside :) your make up is always beautiful! In this video, what make up are you wearing and how do you get your under eye to look so bright?! I’m in a make up rut and ready for a change! Any advice is great :)

I love this challenge! I’ll be living out of a suitcase for the next three months (yay military!) and this might help my packing! Also, great job on the Jcrew ebay necklace find! I L-O-V-E love that necklace but absolutely refuse to pay 150 beans for it. I always forget about ebay!

I have never commented before, but this is so cool! I love your style and can’t wait to see what you are wearing day-to-day! Thanks for being willing to do this and share it with your readers.

13. Anonymous says

Great idea! I’ve already been inspired (…mostly to buy some of the Merona tees and some accessories to dress up existing outfits!).

Love this idea! Very motivating! I was wondering what kind/color of lipstick/gloss you are wearing in your video? I have same skin tone as you and I love the color! Thanks!

Great idea, Kate. I’m taking the challenge! Love that you mentioned in your video that you should work for Target. My hubby works for their headquarters which is based here in Minnesota. I love getting the corporate discount!

Love all your choices. I think you’re going to have a lot of fun. I love, love, love MERONA t-shirts. They fit the best. And they hold up really well, so they’re such a great affordable option. I can’t wait to see what you come up with. :)

I follow your blog and LOVE everything about it! I am definitely going to try this! I am a Stella & Dot stylist, so I was excited to see that you’ll be incorporating us into your outfits!is it 30 items total? (including tops bottoms, shoes, and jewels?) I have a wide range of jewelry options that I would love to use,and I have more close than fit into my closet space, so I can’t wait to try this and kick my shopping addiction;)

Tanya Elliott
    stelladot.com/tanyamelliott

18. Raquel says

I’m excited to see what y’all come up with. If you have an iphone, there’s an app called Stylebook that can help you catalog your outfits/items in your closet.

I seriously wish I could just hire you as my personal stylist. Fix my horrid mess of clothes. Pick out the right jewelry. I love reading your blog and your sister’s blog as well. I’m trying to learn, I’m trying… but then I just feel like a dork when I wear all the fancy stuff… you make it look so effortless!

20. Laura Howe says

I’ve gotten so many great ideas from your blog! Your clothing style is a lot like mine so I can’t wait to see the outfits! Keep up all the fun style ideas!

21. Anna says

Really cute. Except, can you expand your color palate from gray and pink so those of us who aren’t blonde can get more ideas? Browns, maybe?

I love this whole idea for various reasons. I love being green and reusing what we have. I love the idea of being more creative with a wardrobe and I am so done with purchasing a new outfit every time I need a special outfit. I did something similar and have so enjoyed my wardrobe. I am always looking for new looks and hopefully making more outfits with my own. I look forward to it.

23. sacgirl2003 says

Can you remember the name of the seller who you got the bangle from? I love it and have some plain gold bangles that it would coordinate with perfectly!! Thanks!