Pink Skirt

Skirt: J.Crew Factory (here)
Shirt: J.Crew Outlet
Bag: Kate Spade Outlet
Shoes: Target

I love this skirt. It’s pink enough to be girly and pretty, without being too neon. And the length of it makes it comfortable and sleek without feeling too short.
Actually, it’s the first pencil skirt I’ve ever owned. I always stayed away from them because I wasn’t sure that they were flattering on me. But as soon as I realized that all I needed to do was go up a size, it immediately fit better and was flattering. That same thing happened with my skinny jeans.

Do you wear pencil skirts?

**I’m linking up with The Pleated Poppy on WWIW (What I Wore Wednesday). Be sure to check her “WWIW” posts for tons of outfit inspiration!

Comments

1. Melinda says

I LOVE pencil skirts! They are by far the most flattering fit on me, and they just feel so good:) What a great color yours is…. I’m from Canada, but a nice bright color would be a great spring starter!!

2. Anonymous says

I consider myself bottom heavy, and I love pencil skirts. I almost never like aline skirts – why would I want something that flares out from my widest point? It makes my whole silhoutte big.

I found the same thing with pencil skirt sizes; if I don’t go one size up, they’re really unflattering and bunchy. Love yours though! That color is perfect.

If you don’t mind me asking, what size did you get? I want to order it online and we are the same size! (I posted the same question on Facebook!)

I’m the same as you. I never want to try them on because I have this idea in my head that they don’t look good on me/never fit right. I’ve been seeing a lot of JCrew pencil skirts in beautiful colours on my fellow bloggers so may just have to try a few on at the outlet this weekend (in a size up)!

Sarah
    smalltowncatwalk.blogspot.ca

Love the skirt, it’s very flattering on you! I don’t really wear them because I carry most of my weight in my backside so they tend not to fit me very well, maybe the trick is to size up like you did!

Love your look, and your entire blog! I’m a hair colorist up in Richmond and I gotta ask, is this what you wear to work? I constantly worry about wearing my “cute clothes” cause it seems even with my apron I end up with another “work shirt” with color spots on it!

i love the skirt – just bought it last week! i’ve always felt pencil skirts looked weird on me too…but this one is comfy.

Just last week I got a very similar skirt at Target. It is a poppy color and the pencil style. I haven’t every worn one either, and have avoided them but I really like it! I wore mine with the taupe with white polka dot sweater from target and a white t-shirt for Easter. It was really comfortable. I just might need to venture into skinny jeans next. I am a total slacker for up to date stuff! Yours looks great!!!

10. Brooke C says

Kate, I just love reading your blog and watching your hair tutorials. You have eliminated some unnecessary purchases for me and I appreciate how you educate us readers on how to purchase the best products. I just got my clarisonic mia a couple days ago and I think I am going to really love it. You always look adorable, keep up the great posts! Happy Wednesday to you!

I love the skirt!! Pencil skirts are definitely my favorite. :) I have a bright yellow one similar to that that I got from Target, and it makes me happy whenever I wear it. :)
    I’m so glad you were able to find one for yourself!

Very pretty!! Does it go up? Every time I try one that fits my hips, it is too big around the waist and if I take it in then it rises up…can’t win with pencil skirts

Yours look so pretty, you are a beautiful woman!

I had not thought of trying a larger size. One of my favorite skirts is a pencil skirt, though I don’t wear it much anymore -since I have gained a little weight, the fit is just not perfect anymore:) I love this skirt on you!

That coral-pink shade is my fave – think it looks great with blonde hair;)And it’s perfect for spring. The pencil skirt style looks great on you. Glad you gave it a try!

15. Karen says

I would have never thought about sizing up in certain items. Just thought if my “true” size didn’t look good on then it wasn’t meant to be. Also…sizing up is a little defeating for me.

i LOVE pencil skirts. I am a Medium up top and and XLarge on bottom so it’s always hard finding skirts that slims and flatter my figure. EVERY time i wear a pencil skirt to church rather than, say, an a-line skirt, I get so many COMPLIMENTS!

17. Bess says

I totally love your style and I have a similar body shape. I find that J Crew clothes fit women like us pretty well, I also have good luck at Banana Republic (outlet of course!). I get frustrated with pencil skirts because my bottom and hips are just a little too big and when I go a size up the whole skirt rises up when I move at all. Any suggestions?

I just found your blog and lo and behold, you are a North Carolina girl too! I live in Burlington, which is about an hour or so west of you. I am a Christian as well, and have a blog that revolves mostly around J Crew and daily outfit inspiration. How funny is that?! :o)
    Can’t wait to get home and try some of your up-do’s.

Well, that’s it – the skirt has been purchased :) So, if you see a girl wandering around Durham with the same pink skirt, that’s me!! Love your blog! – Katie

I love this outfit! I just started wearing pencil skirts the past few months. Most of mine are thrifted, so I really had to learn to not get upset when some of my skirts were a size larger than I’m used to. I think I have them in 3 different sizes!

Jess
    fancypants514.blogspot.com

I have an adorable and flattering dark denim pencil skirt from spring 2011 Gap collection. As a teacher it works perfectly paired with a cute cardigan.