How to use a curling wand

Have you heard of these curling irons called “curling wands (or rods, or clip less rid, or clamp less curling iron, or tapered curling iron”? Well here’s the deal: It’s a curling iron without the clamp. So in order to use it, you must wrap the hair around the barrel with your fingers because there is nothing else to hold the hair onto the iron.

And if I’m totally honest: It’s not my favorite tool to use on my own hair. However, I do think it’s perfect for long hair, or hair without too many layers. It’s also great for curly hair when you only need to add a little more twist to your natural curls.

So here is my tutorial showing you how to use one of these irons. I’ll explain in the video why I only to the top part of my hair!

The curling wand I’m using is from Remington. They were nice enough to send me a few tools to try! I am really impressed with the quality of this curling wand. It’s a 1 inch and gets up to 400 degrees, which is only slightly lower than my Hot Tools 1 inch curling iron which reaches 430 degrees.

I used maximum heat for the curling wand. I usually need pretty high heat to get my hair to respond. But everyones hair is different, so start somewhere in the mid-range, and bump it up higher if you need more heat.

The barrel is smooth and it’s easy to wrap your hair around it. I’d definitely recommend this wand if you are in the market for one! oh, and it’s crazy affordable.

{shirt: Simply Vera Wang (Kohls), Necklace: Target, Earrings: Elisabeth Ashlie (sold out)}

Comments

I have a smaller barrel curling wand and I love using it. I have layered hair so I understand how some of the hair doesn’t curl right. I like using it because it gives me a more curly look vs. a curling iron. I don’t use it too often since I have thick hair and it takes me forever. Great post!

Thanks for the post, I’ve been eyeing these type of curling irons and wondered if they were worth trading my old one in for. One question, what is the lipstick you’re wearing? It’s great!

I have one that I use with my long hair and I do like it. I don’t like to use it all over my head, but I try to use it when I have done no heat curls the night before and I add some curls in with this particular kind and it works perfect. Love the tutorial!

4. Anonymous says

Hey Kate!
    You can easily take the clamp off of a regular curling iron to use it clamp-less : )
    Saves money! : ) : )

5. Anonymous says

Off topic…. Love the painting/print over your bed!! Where did you get it?
    Love your blog! I look forward to reading your posts!

Hey Kate! I have a quick question. You hold the wand upside down but not the curling iron. Why is that? Does the curling iron curl the hair differently than the wand does, so it doesn’t matter how you hold the curling iron? BTW Hair turned out great as always! :)

7. Anonymous says

I love all your tutorials,and your curls always looks so nice and seperated! How do you get them to stay seperated and not fall all together?

love love it! do you just have good hair to work with, because it always looks good, and it seems to curl really easily too.. is that jsut your type of hair? also, it looks extremely healthy.. any tips on how to get really healthy hair? I am naturally a red head, but went blonde for awhile, i dyed it back to red, and now it’s very dry, and brittle, it’s long.. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Christine says

A really good conditioning product is plain old coconut oil. Work it through your hair (it melts in your hands as you go.) from the ends up and leave it in your hair for ten minutes and then wash it out and condition as usual. There are also hot oil treatments you can buy, but the coconut oil works just as well if not better on my hair and others. My friend had really damaged/brittle hair from dye and heat damage with blow dryer and straightener use. I put the coconut oil treatment in her hair myself, and it really improved the texture and gloss of her hair after only one use. You may do it weekly or more often if your hair is very brittle until it improves. (My hair is not coarse, but I have heard the coconut oil works well on all hair types.) Hope that helps!

When using your clamp curling iron, why do you start in the middle/top of your hair?
    I tend to just clamp the ends of my hair and wrap everything up.

• Anonymous says

Hi there from here in the UK! I thought exactly the same thing when I first saw this blog 3 months ago! Now I realise it makes perfect sense! Not only does starting the curl at the root give more root lift you also prevent damage to the very ends of the hair by leaving them slightly out. I have been doing this to my hair for 3 months and have hardly any split ends!

• says

Oh hello! Thanks for the reply! I guess I never really think about lift, my hair is naturally curly, I like to curl it to give it uniform curls and/or I know the curls will fall and it will give me straightened hair after a semi-tragic accident where my flat-iron exploded….
      My life is full of fail. :-P
      Anyway, the point of that novel was to explain that I normally look for ways to flatten my hair, there’s more than enough lift and volume.
      The split ends is a good point though!
      Thanks so much

Hi. Loving all your tutorials. Where did you purchase this iron? I’m in Wilmington and haven’t seen at my usual hair “hot spots”. Also, a rather random question. Where did you get your comb that you always use in your tutorials. I’ve yet to put my hands on a comb that really gets the job done and yours looks like it does a pretty good job.
    Thanks!

I was given a curling wand for my birthday about two years ago, I didn’t touch it for a year out of fear of how to use it and one day I decided it was time to conquer this wand, I love it now! I’ve totally gotten ridden of my other curling irons.

Every video I watch makes me love your hair even more! Thanks for this tutorial. My sister just got one of these and we have tried it out a couple times. It does take some practice. :)

13. Jaime says

I recently started using a curling wand and I cannot say enough great things about it. My hair NEVER curls. And I mean never. I have used cheap curling irons, expensive curling irons, hot rollers, etc and my hair would be flat in 30 minutes… no matter how much hair spray or product I would use. I was resigned to using only my flat iron and my smooth hair, but I bought one of the wands on a whim and my hair actually stays wavy/curly for most of the day! I don’t know why it would work where all others have failed, but I adore it. Mine came with different sized interchangeable wands, but I usually only stick with the medium sized wand.

14. Kellie says

Hi Kate, thanks for the tutorial! I finally have to ask this question…Do you really only have Aquage Uplifting Foam in your hair prior to curling it? Your hair holds the curl sooo well! I have tried using the same product and then curling my hair but everything seems so “soft” like I have no product in it at all. Your curls (before you rake through them) look like each one has been sprayed with hairspray before you curl the pieces, which I know is not the case. Am I just not using enough product? So frustrating! :) Please, I’ll take any tips you can give! Thanks!

15. Anonymous says

I’ve been doing this for years with my regular Hot Tools curling iron. I just wrap my hair around the outside, over the clamp. It doesn’t leave any dents, but I have very thick long hair so that may be why. Love your blog!

16. Megan says

I love my HerStyler. If I use a regular curling iron it doesnt hold. But my HerStyler does. I don’t even need hairspray. Once my hair sets, the curls intertwine into each other and I have Kim Kardashian locks! I also got mine on ebay because it was way cheaper than the ones they sell at the kiosk in the mall! :)

I love my curling wand! I have longer naturally blonde (with highlights) hair and the clamp line would always show up with a traditional curling iron. Sometimes I have to go back over pieces that are layered but surprisingly, I don’t even use the glove and haven’t really burned myself. Great tutorial!

18. Anonymous says

I have the same question as someone above. My hair does not seem to “hold” the curl once I curl it. Yours holds together like there is spray on it. I have tried a spray (not hair spray) but a curling spray and it seems to do better, but nothing like yours does. Any suggestions? I too have purchased the Aquage product and does not seem to matter.

Ahh I love my wand! And your hair looks gorgeous done with it! At first it was really hard for me to get the hang of, but after a few 3rd degree hand burns (I should’ve stuck with the glove!), I can use it and curl my hair faster now than my regular curling iron. I love your blog by the way, Kate. Look forward to reading it every day! :)

20. Anonymous says

Ok I hope this doesn’t come across as creepy lol- my Mondays at work really suck, but you’re tutorials make them much more exciting! They’re like a mini reward for completing a yucky day at work :)

I’m SO excited you posted about this. I have a regular 1 in iron and I wrap my hair around it like you would on a curling wand but haven’t gone out and bought one yet

Do you think its worth buying a wand? or just not using the clamp on a usual curling iron?

I love my Jose Eber Curling wand!!! I haven’t even touched a regular curling iron since I bought it…I have long already curly hair but that thing just puts a nice finish on it!!! Love love love it!

Hi Kate! I love your tutorials! I was going to ask, what do you prep your hair with before you use a the curling wand here (or the the curling iron.) I just purchased a curling wand as well and, it looks cute when I first do it but it does not hold at all. My hair is pretty fine. I appreciate it! Great tips for the next time I use the wand, I haven’t quite gotten the hang of it.

Rosie

24. Anonymous says

I love the ‘old school’ curling iron..I dont wanna wear a glove to do my hair..I might get it to use on my daughters pageant hair days…but still undecided, thanks for the tutorial though:) very helpful! I like your hair with the longer bangs & the shorter bangs too, I think the shorter is my favorite though…not that it matters!! lol you always look great!

It’s my favourite way to curl my hair even with the clamp (when it is above the barrel on which you wrap the hair) – the curls are so natural and cute, different from the ordinary spirals. It also looks so cool on your hair and I’m sure it will look cool on long hair, because a colleague of mine showed me this way of curling first on her long one-layered hair. Soooo thumbs up from me!!! :)

Perfec timing! I tried curling my hair last Sunday after watching some of your videos, but found that my hair was just too long to use the normal clamp method. It goes down atleast halfway down my back. In fact, even wrapping it around without the clip, I had trouble fitting it all on the wand!

27. Mara Yager says

Hey, Kate! I was just looking at your pics from this Tutorial and happened to notice your adorable comforter! I am looking for a grey one, and the print of yours is just darling! Where did you find that??

I was surprised to hear you say that blonde hair shows clamps and lines more than any other. I think it has to do with how fine your hair is. I’m a pretty dark brunette and I’ve always had to be careful when flat ironing or curling as I show lines very easily.

29. Anonymous says

Kate…I’m a new following…my hairstylist recommended you…love the tutorials…my question is technical…do you do your own videos and pictures yourself or is someone helping you…do you edit and supply the music at the end, etc.? Great job by the way and you seem so natural in front of a camera…practice? Thx, Kitty

What kind of product do you put on your hair before doing a style like this? My hair is pretty thick and wavy and I struggle to find the right thing to use.

31. Anonymous says

Your hair looks absolutely fab! I love using a curling wand on my hair. I own a Karmin Salon pro Clipless and it has worked wonderfully on my hair. Great tutorial, thanks :)

ok, honestly, you gave me the BEST piece of advice ever in this video. I never knew you were supposed to curl your hair away from your face. definitely did it this past weekend, and hubs was swooning!

On another note: I checked out the products you use on a daily basis. What would you recommend for hair that is fine (and super curly), but also very soft. It seems to just slip right out of a ponytail elastic {when straightened, or loose curls}. Is there any miracle product out there to help it to “stick” (short of aquanet, {shudders})?

Thanks! I have watched so many of your blogs and you make it look so quick and easy. After trying a few times, I normally get it and am able to get going with my day.

God Bless!

Love your hair and all the tips. I am growing my hair out and going to get a trim this week. Would love to know how your hair is layered. I live in Chile and if I take a pic where the hair is curled they have a hard time comprehending what I want. It would be so much easier if I could explain the style. Thanks for your help!

Hi, this is a beautiful blog!
    And your hair looks lovely. I was searching for blogs on curling wand and i stumbled across yours. Love it!!

35. Anonymous says

You have the best hair!!! I have tried several styles I have seen here. Unfortunately I think my hair is just to heavy. After about an hour or so it has all fallen, curls meld together and no matter how much I tease it never stays. Also I have a few cowlicks that don’t cooperate. :o(

36. Kristen says

Ok, now I’m convinced. I was debating on whether to get the babyliss curling iron from folica or the karmin clipless from beyas and now I’m definitely getting the karmin! Thanks so much for this blog, I love your hair and hopefully I’ll be getting similar results soon! :)

cheap christmas gifts have definitely made an impression on a lot of women through these years. While there are so many women rolex watches that are available in the market, nothing can make you look more fashionable than a catier rings on your arms. The best way why all these women want to buy these Wholesale womens jackets is to find wholesale designer handbags so that you can save a lot of money when purchasing these discount gucci handbags. This pushes the women to really find a way to purchase these handbags for a cheap price. Buying wholesale chanel classic bag is a good way to save money. For huge discounts, you will definitely be able to get your dream designer bag for a low price.

I love NUME curling wands. I have the Curl Jam set, the reverse wand and the pearl wand. I always get compliments when I use them. Sadly, I can no longer recommend Nume to anyone. I bought my curl jam set in October. Tuesday when I was using it I noticed it was cooling down. I thought maybe something was wrong with the outlet and plugged my flat iron in to test it. Not my outlet. I contacted NUME yesterday for a replacement. After all, my wand is only three months old and I don’t use it more than twice a week. It’s practically brand new! I didn’t drop it or anything like that so it must be a faulty wand. It says it has a four year warranty. Sadly, I was told that I would have to pay to have it replaced. It will cost me $20, plus I have to ship my old one to them and then pay shipping to send the new one back. o basically because they sent me a faulty product, I have to pay close to $40 total to get it replaced. I feel like this isn’t very honest of NUME considering that I can’t find anywhere on their site where this is stated and even asked the customer service rep where it was written. Not to mention the fact that they sold me an expensive, but flawed product and are asking me to pay for their mistake. Needless to say, I won’t be buying anymore products from NUME. I would love to be able to recommend them to friends and family, but do not feel like I can do this. Please be aware before you purchase a NUME wand that they do not back up their products and will ask you to pay for their mistakes.

Oh! I searched for this curling wand tutorial of yours and finally found a link to it through Pinterest. I’ve never used a curling wand and wondered if I should purchase one and learn to use it to create a different look. By watching this, it seems like it might be easier to just buy a smaller barrel curling iron instead. I like how you said you’re “old school” (funny since you’re a young woman), but I feel the same way having used a curling iron for years.

Oh wow looks amazing! I got the Karmin clipless wand for my birthday and I’ve never had a wand before so I’m completely lost!! My friends have the same one and raves about it all the time so I have high hope. Thanks for this, should help!

loved the video! I’ll have to follow all of your tips if I want to have my curls look as good as yours! I got the karmin g3 clipless curling iron and it is very good, btw

42. Venezia says

That wasvedy good! Thank you! But I was wondering if you can put hair spray on before you curl your hair with the wand?

Hey there just wanted to give you a brief heads up and let you know a few
    of the images aren’t loading properly. I’m not sure why but I think its a linking issue.
    I’ve tried it in two different web browsers and both show the
    same results.

44. alex says

Hi so is your hairs naturally straight? Mine is somewhat wavy but whenever I try to curl it, I just end up with a frizzy mess. Any tips?