The Fishtail

Braids are very in right now, and so are fishtails! A fishtail is just a different kind of braid only using two strands instead of three. The final result resembles an actual fish tail. . .which is where it got it’s name.

You’ll notice that I’m wearing my clip in extensions in this video. I will try to research and find the name of the brand, but it’s been so long since I’ve bought them that I have forgotten the brand! I never wear these unless I’m trying a new hairstyle in my bathroom for these Monday tutorials. I like them, as far as extensions go, but I don’t like the added weight to my head.
My hair is straightened in this video prior to adding the extensions, and I have a tutorial for that here
Click here to see the products I use on a daily basis.

*pardon the mess. You can see why I added extensions. My natural hair length is not quite long enough to create a smooth fishtail. :)
Scarf: Target, Sunglasses: The Loft, Earrings: Elisabeth Ashlie, unavailable.

Comments

I actually styled my hair in a fishtail this morning…i think it’s a more “grown up” version of the braids I used to love when I was little…plus I love not having my hair in my face. Perfect for the windy day we have here. :)

2. Anonymous says

I would love to know the type of clip in extentions that you use ! I hope that you will be able to figure it out and post that information soon :)Until then.. I am patiently ( sorta of – lol ) waiting..

I have become ridiculously addicted to your blog . . i watch your tutorials, I buy make-up based upon your recommendations and I find myself daily thinking “what would Kate do” . . . ok that last one is a bit extreme. I’m curious if you can make your tutorial videos bigger . . . maybe its just my comp but they’re so small, anyway to give the option of expanding?

4. Anonymous says

I can’t seem to find you via Formspring but I have a hair question. Could your hair style still work with bangs all the way across your forehead? I’ve always had bangs all the way across and it would seem weird to have them pushed sideways.

Thank you for sharing! I have been dying to know how to do this style. I love it! I am a dental hygienist and I wear my hair in a side braid practically every day. I can’t wait to integrate this into my routine! P.S. love the earrings!

Thank you so much for putting this up! I’ve been trying for so long to do this and I could never find anything useful online until this! Thanks! :)

7. casey gumby says

I have watched other tutorials that I still did not understand………thank you! I did this today on my 9 year old, looked great!!

8. Lisa Owen says

I love all your tutorials!!! I finally have long hair (I’ve been growing it out for 4 years), but because I always had short hair I have had no idea what to do with my hair! It is always in a pony. Now that I have found your blog I have been able to figure out how to do my hair! You explain and show everything perfectly! Awesome!

9. Anonymous says

If you hair isnt long enough for a fishtail like that, you can take a small section from the front, fishtail it, then pull that(and the rest of your hair) into a ponytail.

Thank you for this!! I have watched other tutorials and they didn’t make much sense but you explained it so well. I got it on my first try and I LOVE IT!!!! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!!

The best advice I have for doing a fishtail plait is the following: 1) It’s much much easier to start with a ponytail, 2) It’s also much easier to start with wet hair, and 3) Think of if as “weaving,” more than anything. Bring one section “over” the side, and “under” the other side.