Fancy Side Pony

This is a sleek and somewhat simple way to pull your hair into a side ponytail. Perfect for a night out! You can add a small flower, or decorative bobby pin, near the “ponytail” to make it even prettier. I did this style on straight hair, but you can absolutely try it on curly hair too!

To see what products are in my hair, click here!

To see how my hair was styled before I started this tutorial, click here

Any other questions? Check my FAQ page

*If you can’t secure your hair by simply wrapping a piece around the ponytail like I do, just secure it with a clear ponytail holder and wrap hair around afterwards!
**this style will look even better if you hide your bobby pins better than I do. :)
fancy side pony

Comments

1. Megan M. says

Really pretty. It made me think of Adele’s hairstyles – which I love! Unfortunately I am completely inept at makeup and hair and so probably wouldn’t be able to do this despite how simple it looks. LOL

This is super cute, and made me think of Adele as well! Maybe is an upcoming tutorial you can show us how to put in bobby pins for some up dos on someone else. It’s really hard to see what you do in these tutorials and it never works out the same for me at home. I need help! :)

3. Camille says

This is really adorable. Love your blog! Would love to see the complete outfit you are wearing here also. I think you have a great sense of style and would love to see more of your outfits posted on a regular basis. They provide inspiration for me!

“Or totally fail” haha I laughed out loud at work when you said that. I totally have those moments when I fix my hair! Love this idea, I’ll have to try it :) Thanks for the great videos!

Seriously, you are super cute! I did your fun” knotty undo” (I think it was) yesterday! Everyone thought I was so cool! Lol but I couldn’t take the credit and gave it all to you girl! Thank you so much! I love your blog and all your great do’s! I can only do some of them lol I’m not too advanced in the hair world, but you’re helping me become better!

That is just beautiful. I will plan a date with my husband just so that I can do my hair this way. And also so that I can spend time with him, but the hair-do opportunity will be a big plus…

Thanks for sharing it!

So cute, I can’t wait to try this. I wish I could do it as easy as you make it look. Thank you for posting your videos, I absolutely love them!
    Katherine

8. Anonymous says

Am I missing something? Is there a youtube link to the tutorial? If so, my browser must be messed up because I can’t seem to find it. I haven’t ever had a problem with it before! Thanks!

9. Christina Opp says

Did this style today for a cute work Valentine’s do. Thank you Kate for an easy, adorable up-do. I love your tutorials. You are the best!!! Christina

10. Teresa says

I really wanna do this, but my hair seems too thick – I try to take as little hair as possible in the first bunch and it’s STILL so thick my poor bobby pin can’t handle it! Would a hair pin work? Maybe I should forget trying to hide my hair holder and get a pretty clip? Thanks!

You are a hair artist! And you make it so easy to make my hair look good. Plus, you’re just a sweet lady.
    Where is your shirt from in the tutorial video? It looks super cute!

Keep up the good work! I have your blog bookmarked so I can easily check in and figure out how I want to do my hair in the morning. You are the best!

Firstly, you are just so creative! I’m a busy mom and my husband likes the long hair, so I am always looking for ways to get it back and I LOVE the sideways french braid… lots of compliments always. Secondly I am awful at hiding bobby pins, and I’m a red head, so they always show. My sister-in-law found blonde bobby pins! Finally if they show, its not a blatant black or dark brown streak in my light colored hair. You should check them out…

13. KJ says

I tried this hairstyle for a night out to celebrate a friends birthday. First of all, it really only took me 15 minutes, which for a hairstyling spaz like me, is great timing. Second of all it looked great and I received so many compliments! Thanks for showing me how to do this and breaking me from my boring hair routine!

14. Anonymous says

I tried this for church and everything was great, except pining the hair around the pony tail. I ended up doing a messy bun instead, but even that was super cute. Any suggestions for pinning the hair around pony tail? I wouldn’t stay in the bobby pin…

15. Marie says

i tried this.. and you do a horrible job describing where to place the bobby pins.. mine just falls out

Hi from Australia :) I’ve just found your blog on Youtube as I was trawling for potential up do’s for a wedding this weekend. Voila, this fancy side pony is PERFECT. One question…. my fringe/bangs is chin length. Would you suggest pinning it all up or leaving some pieces around the face. I was thinking of having the rest of my hair straight, would it look silly to have the pieces around my face softly curled? Many thanks – Love your style and humour!!