Fancy Side Pony

This is a sleek and somewhat simple way to pull your hair into a side ponytail. Perfect for a night out! You can add a small flower, or decorative bobby pin, near the “ponytail” to make it even prettier. I did this style on straight hair, but you can absolutely try it on curly hair too!

To see what products are in my hair, click here!

To see how my hair was styled before I started this tutorial, click here

Any other questions? Check my FAQ page

*If you can’t secure your hair by simply wrapping a piece around the ponytail like I do, just secure it with a clear ponytail holder and wrap hair around afterwards!
**this style will look even better if you hide your bobby pins better than I do. 🙂
fancy side pony

1. Anonymous says
    Posted February 13, 2012

Super cute!! I wish my hair were long enough to do this to. I love to watch your tutorials 🙂

2. Lindsay says
    Posted February 13, 2012

Okay, I may be able to pull this one off! Super cute Kate, you make it look so easy. 🙂

3. Kate says
    Posted February 13, 2012

Love it! I love wearing my hair in side ponytails already – this will make them even better! 🙂

4. Ruthie says

That is so pretty!

5. emily says
    Posted February 13, 2012

so pretty I love it i will have to try this out next Saturday!!

6. jacks says
    Posted February 13, 2012

Can’t wait to try this one out and see if my hair is long enough! Thanks!

7. Megan M. says
    Posted February 13, 2012

Really pretty. It made me think of Adele’s hairstyles – which I love! Unfortunately I am completely inept at makeup and hair and so probably wouldn’t be able to do this despite how simple it looks. LOL

8. Posted February 13, 2012

I need to learn how to make my hair behave so I can do things like this!

9. Lizzie says
    Posted February 13, 2012

I love it! Can’t wait to give it a try! I like it because my hair is straight, and I rarely curl it! Thanks!

10. Jen says
    Posted February 13, 2012

I am going to give it a try! Love your hair tutorials!

11. Posted February 13, 2012

I love your earrings!

12. Posted February 13, 2012

This is super cute, and made me think of Adele as well! Maybe is an upcoming tutorial you can show us how to put in bobby pins for some up dos on someone else. It’s really hard to see what you do in these tutorials and it never works out the same for me at home. I need help! 🙂

13. Posted February 13, 2012

This is a really great tutorial! Even though I have long, wavy, coarse hair, I might actually be able to do this!

14. Camille says
    Posted February 13, 2012

This is really adorable. Love your blog! Would love to see the complete outfit you are wearing here also. I think you have a great sense of style and would love to see more of your outfits posted on a regular basis. They provide inspiration for me!

15. *Bekah* says
    Posted February 13, 2012

“Or totally fail” haha I laughed out loud at work when you said that. I totally have those moments when I fix my hair! Love this idea, I’ll have to try it 🙂 Thanks for the great videos!

16. Posted February 13, 2012

So cool, I love it!

17. Shasta says
    Posted February 13, 2012

This is so pretty! I wish I could rewind time and do this for the air force event I was at on Friday!

18. Posted February 13, 2012

That is super cute – and definitely doable for a night out! Thanks for sharing.

Erin
    ErinAndrewEverAfter.com

19. susanna says
    Posted February 13, 2012

I really like this style! Thanks for sharing

20. Nicol says
    Posted February 13, 2012

Thank you for a style that starts with straight hair! I’m going to try this tomorrow for Valentine’s Day!

21. Posted February 13, 2012

very cute!

22. Wendy says
    Posted February 13, 2012

Wow! That is beautiful! I too appreciate that it starts with straight hair. Although I have layered hair. Thanks!

23. Posted February 13, 2012

I love the look really pretty and fancy.

24. Ally says
    Posted February 13, 2012

Seriously, you are super cute! I did your fun” knotty undo” (I think it was) yesterday! Everyone thought I was so cool! Lol but I couldn’t take the credit and gave it all to you girl! Thank you so much! I love your blog and all your great do’s! I can only do some of them lol I’m not too advanced in the hair world, but you’re helping me become better!

25. Anonymous says
    Posted February 13, 2012

You are like a hair superhero! There is nothing you can’t do – always impressed! 🙂

26. Irisha says
    Posted February 13, 2012

So very-very pretty! Does it stay like that all day?
    ~ Iryna

27. Rachel says
    Posted February 13, 2012

Gorgeous! I’ll give it a try and see what happens 🙂

28. Anonymous says
    Posted February 13, 2012

I love wearing side ponytails! I will definitely be using this 🙂

Steff M.

29. Posted February 14, 2012

That is just beautiful. I will plan a date with my husband just so that I can do my hair this way. And also so that I can spend time with him, but the hair-do opportunity will be a big plus…

Thanks for sharing it!

30. Posted February 14, 2012

Love this! My hair is too short for it now but when I start to grow it out again I will definitely be trying this 🙂

31. Unknown says
    Posted February 14, 2012

So cute, I can’t wait to try this. I wish I could do it as easy as you make it look. Thank you for posting your videos, I absolutely love them!
    Katherine

32. Posted February 14, 2012

I love your tutorials…you are just too cute!!! I use them a lot and my little 1st graders love my hairstyles. :o)
    ~~ Vicky

33. Posted February 14, 2012

love the side pony! I barely get to straighten my head of hair, let alone style it! so cute though!

34. Posted February 14, 2012

Congrats on winning the Zoya board thing!!!

35. Anonymous says
    Posted February 14, 2012

Any suggestions on how to hold super thick hair? Regular Bobby pins won’t hold my hair.

36. Colleen says
    Posted February 14, 2012

Kate! You’re my hair guru. This totally worked for me and saved my (pony?) tail for an even last night. I blogged about it, I was so happy. Thanks for the tutorial!

37. Anonymous says
    Posted February 14, 2012

This is fabulous! I love your tutorials, you have the best ideas!!

~Anne Stewart

38. Posted February 14, 2012

Such a great way to wear a ponytail! Definitely wanna try this out…love your blog!

39. Lindsay says
    Posted February 14, 2012

I love this!

40. Posted February 14, 2012

Love this one! Next on my to do list!

41. Posted February 14, 2012

Love this one! Next on my to do list!

42. Anonymous says
    Posted February 14, 2012

Am I missing something? Is there a youtube link to the tutorial? If so, my browser must be messed up because I can’t seem to find it. I haven’t ever had a problem with it before! Thanks!

43. Christina Opp says
    Posted February 14, 2012

Did this style today for a cute work Valentine’s do. Thank you Kate for an easy, adorable up-do. I love your tutorials. You are the best!!! Christina

44. Teresa says
    Posted February 15, 2012

I really wanna do this, but my hair seems too thick – I try to take as little hair as possible in the first bunch and it’s STILL so thick my poor bobby pin can’t handle it! Would a hair pin work? Maybe I should forget trying to hide my hair holder and get a pretty clip? Thanks!

45. Kat says
    Posted February 15, 2012

This is the first of your tutorials that I’ve tried and it worked great!

For those that have thick hair, I love these: http://www.sallybeauty.com/Magic-Grip-Hairpins/GOODHR1,default,pd.html?cm_vc=SEARCH

They hold my thick hair very well.

46. Laura says
    Posted February 15, 2012

You are a hair artist! And you make it so easy to make my hair look good. Plus, you’re just a sweet lady.
    Where is your shirt from in the tutorial video? It looks super cute!

Keep up the good work! I have your blog bookmarked so I can easily check in and figure out how I want to do my hair in the morning. You are the best!

47. Posted February 17, 2012

Super cute I am soo trying this! 😀

48. Posted February 17, 2012

New to your blog and I’m lovin’ it! 🙂 Did this for my hot Valentines date with the hubs and he loved it!

49. Bethany says
    Posted February 18, 2012

Firstly, you are just so creative! I’m a busy mom and my husband likes the long hair, so I am always looking for ways to get it back and I LOVE the sideways french braid… lots of compliments always. Secondly I am awful at hiding bobby pins, and I’m a red head, so they always show. My sister-in-law found blonde bobby pins! Finally if they show, its not a blatant black or dark brown streak in my light colored hair. You should check them out…

50. Posted February 18, 2012

Can u do this with straight or curly hair???? Ur so creative and love all ur hair tutorials!

51. Anonymous says
    Posted February 18, 2012

I love this!! You are so talented and I will be trying this for my next date!

52. KJ says
    Posted February 19, 2012

I tried this hairstyle for a night out to celebrate a friends birthday. First of all, it really only took me 15 minutes, which for a hairstyling spaz like me, is great timing. Second of all it looked great and I received so many compliments! Thanks for showing me how to do this and breaking me from my boring hair routine!

53. Lauren says
    Posted February 24, 2012

this is awesome! totally trying it!!!

54. Anonymous says
    Posted February 26, 2012

I tried this for church and everything was great, except pining the hair around the pony tail. I ended up doing a messy bun instead, but even that was super cute. Any suggestions for pinning the hair around pony tail? I wouldn’t stay in the bobby pin…

55. Laura says
    Posted April 4, 2012

I tried this! And I posted my try on Pinterest. I gave you credit, too. 🙂

I love your blog, and I read it daily, whether there is something new or not.
    Thanks for your joy, honesty, and genuine way you express your ideas, thoughts, and life. Keep it up!

56. Marie says
    Posted April 6, 2012

i tried this.. and you do a horrible job describing where to place the bobby pins.. mine just falls out

57. Posted April 13, 2012

Laura – love your ideas – will give them a try! I’m posting this to my pinterest account!

58. Kate says
    Posted July 31, 2012

Really cute!! Great twist on a pony (love your blog!!)

59. Posted April 12, 2013

Good one! I am glad that you decided to share it with your readers. Awesome work!
    short wigs

60. Roki says
    Posted November 28, 2013

Hi from Australia 🙂 I’ve just found your blog on Youtube as I was trawling for potential up do’s for a wedding this weekend. Voila, this fancy side pony is PERFECT. One question…. my fringe/bangs is chin length. Would you suggest pinning it all up or leaving some pieces around the face. I was thinking of having the rest of my hair straight, would it look silly to have the pieces around my face softly curled? Many thanks – Love your style and humour!!

61. Posted June 25, 2014