Homemade Mac and Cheese

This is the most delicious Mac and Cheese Recipe you will ever taste. And it’s crazy easy.

Ingredients:
1 lb (1 box) al dente elbow noodles
1 lb cheddar cheese
4 tablespoons butter
salt & pepper
1/2 cup milk

*cook your noodles to al dente as per the package instructions

**set oven to 375 degrees

1. Pam/grease your baking dish.

2. Place cooked noodles in the bottom of the dish (enough to cover the bottom).

3. Salt and pepper generously.

4. Add two large handfuls of cheese.

5. Start second layer. Repeat exactly what you did in the first layer until you fill your dish.

6. Place 4-5 tablespoon slices of butter on top of the mac and cheese and pour 1/2 cup milk over the top.

7. Bake for 35-45 minutes  uncovered <–this is when the browning happens…yum!

(my stomach literally just growled.)

It will be piping hot, so watch out. But it is always delicious and a total crowd-pleaser! I tend to under salt, so don’t be afraid to add a little more salt than you normally would in between all the layers.

Enjoy!

1. Kristin says
    Posted November 2, 2011

That looks delicious! Where does the milk come in though? I want to try this tonight! :o)

PS – LOVE your blog!

2. Posted November 2, 2011

I was just going to ask the same question! When do you add the milk? Your blog rocks my socks!
    LA

3. Posted November 2, 2011

Sorry guys! I edited that! Re-read! 🙂

4. Posted November 2, 2011

OMG!!! That looks DELISH! I really think I’m going to go to the store tonight and get a bag of shredded cheese! I really want to make this tonight! Thank you for my dinner..haha

5. Posted November 2, 2011

I loveeee mac and cheese. pinning this now 🙂 Thanks for sharing!

6. etta says
    Posted November 2, 2011

LOVE baked mac n cheese! So, so yummy.

7. Posted November 2, 2011

This is how my grandma and my mom made mac and cheese. I make it and now so does my daughter. It sure beats anything out of a box! 🙂

8. Posted November 2, 2011

This looks amazing and super easy, I can’t wait to try it! There is nothing like homemade mac and cheese!!

9. Posted November 2, 2011

Oh wow…my stomach is literally growling now too. :). My boys love mac and cheese so this is a must-try. And…I have that same dish and never use it. It will now be known as my “mac and cheese dish”.
    Ok, more growling…time for lunch. Thanks for your great tips!

10. Posted November 2, 2011

WOW!!! This looks yummy! And SUPER easy.. will have to try this soon 🙂 thanks for sharing

11. Posted November 2, 2011

OOh, I’ve never thought about layering mac ‘n cheese like a lasagna. Looks delicious!

12. Posted November 2, 2011

Mmmmm that mac and cheese looks so delicious!!! I will definitely try this!

13. Posted November 2, 2011

This looks sooooo good!! I’m gonna trying this!

14. Andrea says
    Posted November 2, 2011

Yum! I love a good mac n cheese reciepe. And this looks easy, easy.

15. Anonymous says
    Posted November 2, 2011

What size box of macaroni do you use?

16. Unknown says
    Posted November 2, 2011

This is exactly how I make my mac n cheese too! It’s soo delicious and easy! Love it!

17. Whitney says
    Posted November 2, 2011

This makes my mouth water!!!

18. Posted November 2, 2011

Going to make this in a few minutes! Looks delicious!

19. Rheana says
    Posted November 2, 2011

Oh my gosh this looks delicious! My husband and I love macaroni and cheese so I’m going to have to try this!

20. Posted November 2, 2011

This is what my house considers “grandmas recipe”! Its so good and a staple in my own kitchen.

21. Posted November 2, 2011

This looks so yummy & much easier than a lot of recipes I’ve seen.

22. Posted November 3, 2011

My heart is breaking right now! 🙁 I LOVE mac and cheese, but my 3 month old daughter’s pediatrician told me no more dairy. I will be pinning this to make when I can have it again though, and I can’t hardly wait for it! LOL

23. Posted November 3, 2011

Gosh this is so much easier than the one I make! I need to try this!!

24. June says
    Posted November 3, 2011

Hey if u lined that bad boy with foil first leftovers and clean up would be even more of a snap…I’m just sayin:)

25. Posted November 3, 2011

Wow! This looks beyond amazing I am definitely trying out this recipe ASAP! Love your blog and I am your newest follower. xo

26. Posted November 3, 2011

So simple – so delicious {looking}.
    Thanks

27. Andrea says
    Posted November 4, 2011

I made this for lunch today for my little boy and I. AHHHH-MAZING! We had the leftovers for dinner also. Thanks for sharing!

28. Posted November 4, 2011

Oh my goodness, this is why i should avoid surfing at this time of night….soo yummm…..xo

29. Posted November 4, 2011

Sounds SO good – I do my just a bit different using velveeta and sharp cheddar but I have to say baked mac n’ cheese makes my knees weak and your images almost made me faint. It’s true love.

30. Jamie says
    Posted November 5, 2011

Looks delicious. And easy!

31. snh says
    Posted November 6, 2011

I made this mac and cheese after seeing the recipe on here and I loooved it! So, so easy and tasted amazing. I’m wondering if there’s a way to make it a little creamier – I actually think I might make it again and add a little more milk and maybe try to stir it in the middle?? Anyway, great recipe and great blog!

32. Lucy says
    Posted November 7, 2011

I’m making this right now and just realized I forgot the milk! Had to run and pour it over the mac ‘n cheese before its too late. Whoops =)

33. Nicole says
    Posted November 7, 2011

We made this mac and cheese in our house tonight and it was a huge hit for the whole family. My kiddos loved it:) Thanks for an easy recipe!

34. Deb says
    Posted November 10, 2011

I love this! Dad

35. Helen says
    Posted November 10, 2011

Wow my kids said this was the best dinner ever!!

36. Posted November 12, 2011

And no egg, woohoo! I’ve tried so many different recipes and the ones that called for eggs always curdled on me. Even if I tempered them, eggs always made the mac ‘n cheese “funky”. I’m trying your’s tonight! Thanks for sharing! *Ü*

37. Bri says
    Posted November 12, 2011

I make this mac and cheese ALL the time. It was a staple in college when I was living away from my parents. We never had stovetop mac and cheese growing up so baked mac and cheese is all I’ve ever know.

Some things I add to it: before putting in the milk and adding the butter on top, I sprinkle paprika all over the top. Makes the cheese have a darker color and it’s nice.

I sometimes add Johnny’s seasoning in with the salt and pepper just to give it a little pizazz.

38. Posted November 17, 2011

Thank you for this recipe and also for all your hair tutorials. I can’t quite get my hair to look like yours but I sure can make your mac and cheese! Keep blogging, you’re wonderful!!

39. Anonymous says
    Posted December 4, 2011

So Super easy and super cheap !!! I made it with chicken tonight and my man loves it ! Thank you 🙂

40. Anonymous says
    Posted January 22, 2012

So yum. We added 1/4cup of heavy cream to the milk to give it a more cheesy consistency…. Fabulous and so easy.

41. Posted January 24, 2012

Yum Yum Yum!! I LOVE this recipe! Thanks for posting it! I found it on pinterest and am featuring it on my blog.

adaynasmile.wordpress.com

42. Anonymous says
    Posted April 1, 2012

looks awesome!!

43. Katie says
    Posted June 13, 2012

Best recipe ever!!! SIMPLE AND EXTREMELY DELICIOUS! You are as close to the perfect woman as I’ve imagined — perfect hair, perfect makeup, fantastic shopper, perfect outfits, great jewelry maker AND a great cook! Your husband is an extremely lucky man!!!!!!

44. Posted September 19, 2012

Yum Yum Yum!! Very Good Recipe!Checkout more than 350 types of cheese here…http://www.gourmetfoodstore.com/cheese/

45. Posted December 12, 2012

I’ve never seen anyone make mac & cheese the way I do it! This is so great! I’ve never tried it with shredded cheese though, I’ve always used sliced block cheese (Cracker Barrel brand is my all time favorite)
    Love your blog!

46. Shell says
    Posted November 28, 2013

Your recipe is right on target. I’m going to use the tip of the butter on top. I always make mac and cheese without egg. So much yummier that way.

47. Posted December 11, 2013

OMG this looks delish.

48. Robert Hoerner says
    Posted March 11, 2015

Made this tonight. It was great. So simple to make and great to eat. Everyone love it.

49. Casey Austin says
    Posted August 17, 2015

I first tried this recipe over a year ago. It takes a lot of cheese so I can’t afford to make it very often but when I do it’s always great. I just wanted to say “thank you” for sharing this. Highly recommended.

50. Angie says
    Posted November 24, 2015

The pinned page says to whisk in 1 egg with the milk, this page doesn’t mention adding the egg. Should the egg be added?

51. Tierra says
    Posted November 3, 2016

Omg thank you soooo much just made this for my family and we all love it

52. Charlene B says
    Posted November 4, 2016

This brings back so many memories!! My mother made it this way, but she mixed sharp cheddar, colby jack, and Velveeta (SO MUCH CHEESE!!!). My grandmother made it with Velveeta and cheddar. There was never any making a roux or adding eggs, just the layers as you have it here. My mother never stirred hers, and it would get this crispy crust on top and it was so cheesy and good. My Grandmother would stir it once or twice during the cooking process to make it creamier – she would add a bit more milk if it wasn’t how she wanted it on the first stir. I LOVED THEM BOTH!! Thank you for sharing this delightful recipe and bringing back great memories of those ladies in the kitchen!!!!

53. Katy says
    Posted December 19, 2016

I lied. Today. At work. I told them this was my great grandmother’s recipe. Everyone thought I’d made a roux. *Evil laugh*

It was wiped clean. Thanks for making me look like a rock star.

• Katy says
      Posted December 19, 2016

Oh yeah, I also added BACON to the top. Who needs breadcrumbs when you can just add bacon??!?

Posted December 19, 2016

hahaha this is GREAT!

54. Davidf says
    Posted August 21, 2018

I made this tonight for dinner. It’s just my wife and I so I cut the pasta in half a ng d kept all the other ingredient amounts the same. We had it with steamed broccoli and added some pickled jalapenos to the mac and cheese. Absolutely wonderful, will be making this again.

55. Joni says
    Posted October 28, 2018

It’s in the oven as I type..I made chili last night,and this will just add goodness.

56. Rosemary Hall says
    Posted June 18, 2019

Can you make this with 2% milk?

Posted June 18, 2019