Wrap Around French Braid

This style is great for getting your hair out of your face, but still looking as stylish as ever! And braids? They are everywhere. And I totally get why. They are great.
It would be easiest to have hair that’s grazing the top of your shoulders or longer for this style. But it could absolutely be a messier and looser look with shorter hair too, just make sure you keep the braid as low as possible (close to the base of your hairline). We don’t want it to start moving up and look strange once you get around to the other side of your head. :)
Here is the video featuring my BEAUTIFUL sister and a sneak peak of my kitty, Grits. I love my cat. . .but yes, he can be a hellion. :)
Here are some close ups!

{note how loose the braid is from her scalp at the bottom. That’s good! You don’t want it to  look disproportional}

I, personally, love this side the most. I like the hair that naturally just fell out around her face, and how it just effortlessly was slid into a french braid.
Make sure you start the braid at least 2 inches behind your ear (whichever side you choose) so, again, it isn’t too tight on one side. Plus, you don’t really want to see the braid from the front.
So good luck! Let me know if you need any suggestions or further explanation of what is going on! And send photos of your successful Wrap Around French Braids!

Comments

1. Anonymous says

It looks great and I love it!! Thanks for sharing. I’d love if you’d visit my blog, I’m one of your newest followers!

Kelli @ loveoursimplelife.blogspot.com

um I just tried this, and after two attempts I did it successfully. Your tutorial was awesome! I am just learning to braid, so if I can do this, anybody can! My hair has lots of layers (and is wavy/curly), so instead of wearing the braid down, I wrapped it into a bun on the side and fastened it with spin pins. Thanks for sharing!

• says

I really like the brelecat you chose- with it being glitzy and with the colors you chose it turned out to be really pretty and different. It seems a little more dressier which I know it can be casual also, but very pretty. All of you ladies did a great job with this DIY project

• says

- Hi Heather -I didn’t get to meet you this past weekend at the weidndg show, but I walked by your booth and was blown away by your gorgeous work!! Absolutely stunning!I hope we get a chance to meet in person soon. Take care,Whitney at Brown Sugar Design

I love this but I’m having trouble doing it on myself – awkward back of the head position and all. lol Is there anyway to do a quick video of you doing this on yourself with some tips for keeping it straight and even? :)

• says

Detangle! Learn to do it and save your kinky coils. Detangle for moisture seinsoss, deep conditioning and between styles. For better growth and length retention finger detangle. Yours Truly,Coily Tress

• says

hello beauty. i’m viiinstg your blog every single morning. Every little detail you are describing, every moment of your everyday life.. makes me travel with your pictures.. ok, maybe except for the iphone..! I feel every single word of yours!! memories are everywhere, inside shoes, eyes, laptops, coffees… and that’s what inspire us.. you are doing a great job. i’m sure you’re even better at your uni projects…big kiss

this is so pretty! I can’t wait to try it on me! Thanks for sharing! Your tutorial is great!

I would love it if you would share this and/or any other projects you have been up to at Tuesday Talent Show at Chef In Training Tomorrow! Plus there is going to be a fun giveaway too! Thanks so much and I hope to see you there!
    -Nikki

I just discovered your blog today and I think I have a problem! I love all the advice for hairstyles. Do you have any advice on fishtail braids? I love the look but I just cant seem to get it right around my face – it either looks too messy or too little girlish!

Veronica: Oddly enough it’s been years since I’ve done a fishtail braid so I wouldn’t even know where to start!

And try just pulling a few hairs out around your face to “soften” the braid!

OMG, i love your page. I’ve been trying everything day by day! I did the wrap around french braid on my daughter today, and did a pretty good job. She loved it too, so thats a bonus! If i knew how, i would post a picture :) Keep up the fantastic work on your page!!

How do you make the braid go more towards the bottom of your head? Mine goes to the middle. So how do you make it closer to your neck?? Hah hah.

Okay, just tried this wrap-around French Braid. It’s a little awkward to do on yourself and I found that I was only pulling hair from the top of the braid. But it works and I like it.
    The first time I had ever seen this wrap-around braid was on Anna Kornikova on an episode of Biggest Loser and I thought how pretty it was.
    Thanks for the video tutorial. It’s a great help! :)
    _______
    Lee Ann

My new blog: Crochetgottaloveit
    *********
    My website: Crochet…Gotta Love It!

10. Anonymous says

WOW! I found your site on pinterest and I love it! I am not a real girly girl and I have really long hair…I have always wanted to learn how to do these types of things but didn’t ever really look into it until now. I am getting married this summer and your blog has helped me figure out how I want to my hair. So THANK YOU MUCH FOR SHARING! :) PEACE AND LOVE FROM CALIFORNIA~Jamie

I love this look!!! But I can’t get it right!!! :( do you think you could post one of you making it on yourself? Maybe that will help!! Thanks in advanced!!

• says

So cute Kim!!! Think I need to make a few of these for my girls. Excited you are continuing with Christmas Through The Year….I will be doing a post in the next day or two about it!!

12. Anonymous says

OMG! I just did this on my 3 year old daughter (hair slightly longer than her shoulders) and it turned out BEAUTIFUL! She looks amazing and it took about 2 minutes….way quicker than then traditional, 1 or 2 braids all the way from the bangs! Thanks!!!!

Thank You so much for taking the time to do all these tutorials!! But I’m 23 and just now learning how to do my hair so these videos are very helpful!! As growing up I was always instructed to do a pony tail! AND Thanks to you I have just ordered my very first HOT TOOLS Curling Iron and Blow Dryer! I’m soon to become a girly girl FINALLY! Thanks to you!!

14. Anonymous says

You and your hair tips are amazing. I never usually take the time to post on blogs, but I have to say, I LOVE every single hairstyle you show and your demos are wonderful! Thanks so, so much for all your hard work!

LOVE this braid on my 3 y/o daughter! I actually start up higher, next to her side part, as her bangs are all long and grown out, and work down her head, behind the ear, before wrapping around, this way it keeps her hair out of her eyes AND food!! ;)