Half French Twist

Here is a tutorial for a simple 1/2 up style:
Start with hair curled! See this video for tips!
1. Pull a section from one side of your head back to the center and insert bobby pins vertically.

Then grab a section from the opposite side, bring it back to the section, flip it around and insert bobby pins on the underneath section.
And then you’re done!

Perfect for a fancy occasion or simply to get your hair off your face!
Please let me know if you have any questions!

1. Posted August 14, 2011

How do you have so much body (volume?) in your hair? What products do you use? I love this style, btw-thanks!

• ShayZay says
      Posted March 30, 2012

Hi Guys,
      For all of you who have been asking how to do the sexy, glam hairstyles… Check out Nicolas Junjack’s blog http://www.hairblog.nicolasjurnjack.com/ – with all steps, tools and products you will need.
      Have fun!

2. ALi says
    Posted August 14, 2011

you have beautiful hair, also love your hair tips, I always thought you weren’t supposed to flat iron close to the scalp or you would have flat hair, good to know that it is the other way around.

3. Posted August 14, 2011
  4. Posted August 14, 2011

Ali-Thanks! Glad I could help!

5. Anonymous says
    Posted August 14, 2011

love this- any tips for LOTS OF THICK hair in this style?? (When I say thick, and lots, you can’t even imagine!)

6. Posted August 15, 2011

Anonymous: You could absolutely do this style with thick hair. Just grab less of it as you are pulling it back and keep it more at the top of your head instead of the back. Also, get some high quality bobby pins! Good luck!

7. Diana says
    Posted August 15, 2011

where do you buy the aquage? and what do you recommend for high quality bobby pins?

8. Posted August 16, 2011

Diana: check online for the Aquage. Maybe here? (I’ve never bought from here to make sure you read fine print!) http://www.buy.com/prod/aquage-uplifting-foam/q/sellerid/32101665/loc/67984/215767586.html

Also, ask your hairstylist if she’ll sell you some. The professional quality are the BEST. Let me know if you have any other questions!

9. Chelsea says
    Posted August 16, 2011

beautiful!! Do you just flip it underneath the other section and then hide the bobby pin?? Also how did you get your hair to poof in the middle? Looks perfectly natural, and simple. love it.

10. Posted August 16, 2011

Hi Chelsea: I’ve got a video tutorial coming soon! πŸ™‚ Thanks for your interest!

11. Angela says
    Posted August 17, 2011

I love your tips! I tried the half french twist but it was not a success. πŸ™ I will try again though!

12. Posted August 23, 2011

So, I did this today since my hair is suddenly taking curl again. Somehow it ended up looking like those 90’s put it in a pony and flip it over. I’ll have to keep trying.

BUT your tips about styling your hair first before putting it up is really helpful. I’ve never been one to just put my hair up or intend to. It is usually an option on day two or three. πŸ™‚

Thanks for all the help!

13. Posted August 24, 2011

Hi Kate- I just found your blog this morning through this photo that was up on Pinterest. I’m obessed with your hair and have written down all the products that you use for my shopping list. I actually live in Raleigh and wondered what Salon you work at???
    Love the blog! Thanks for all the pictures and videos- they’re great.
    Candice

14. Anonymous says
    Posted August 24, 2011

What does your hair look like when it’s not curled? Do you have layers? How would I ask my stylist to get my hair but like yours? I have long dull hair, and am looking for a new do. I LOVE all of your styles, and would like to have the right cut to start!
    Thanks for all of your awesome tips:)

15. Anonymous says
    Posted August 24, 2011

^”hair “cut” like yours….

16. Posted August 31, 2011

So excited to have found you via Pinterest. Your hair is amazing. Thanks for the inspiration.

17. Posted September 2, 2011

I pinned this on Pinterest too! Love! Thanks!

18. Carrian says
    Posted September 8, 2011

so cute! Thanks!

19. Anonymous says
    Posted September 25, 2011

I cannot figure out how to twist the hair to hide the bobby pins! Did you do the tutorial yet?

20. Posted September 26, 2011

Anonymous: there is not a video tutorial for this style. . .just fold the last section in half and place the pin on the half closer to your scalp!

21. Chelsea says
    Posted September 29, 2011

THANK YOU. I made my attempt today .. http://wp.me/p16YdL-5b love your blog! πŸ™‚

22. Posted September 29, 2011

BEAUTIFUL!

23. Chandra says
    Posted October 11, 2011

Love thias look! You make it look so easy!

24. Posted October 14, 2011

I found this photo on Pinterest. Great tutorial!

25. Posted October 22, 2011

Haha — this pretty tutorial is sweeping pinterest — I found it there, too! πŸ™‚

26. Dani says
    Posted October 23, 2011

A HUGE thank you to Pintrest! So happy I found your blog! And it’s nice to see someone with shorter-ish hair doing tutorials! I’ll probably try this one for work tomorrow (with dirty hair-have to be to work SO EARLY)! Would this work with dirty hair or should I still wash?!

27. Posted November 8, 2011

Do you have a video tutorial for this???

28. Anonymous says
    Posted November 18, 2011

You have gorgeous hair! I can’t seem to figure out what you’re doing on the “flip it around” section to hide the bobby pins. Any help would be appreciated!

29. Posted November 24, 2011

LOve this! What a great idea! Thanks for sharing.
    (Found you on pinterest)

~Shanon

30. Kristin says
    Posted November 30, 2011

I love this! Thanks for sharing. πŸ™‚

31. MonΓ©t says
    Posted December 4, 2011

So easy! I love your tutorials! You explain them so well, and they’re so easy to follow πŸ™‚ Please keep posting with new ideas! With the holiday season, I’m always looking for new ways to do my hair!

32. Posted December 7, 2011

I am going to try this tomorrow:) i hope it turns out good! it is just to go to church and i am tired of my hair being all plain:) will let ya know it turns out. So glad i found you thanks to Pinterest:) πŸ™‚

33. Posted December 13, 2011

Thanks for the hair videos they are SOOOO helpful. I found your blog via pinterest!

Thanks for the tips!

34. Posted December 13, 2011

Hi Kate!
    I am not quite sure how to tuck it under or around.. do you just flip it backwards and pin it in?

35. Mia says
    Posted December 28, 2011

then *you’re done.
    Awesome! I will do this tomorrow, I love it.

36. Anonymous says
    Posted December 31, 2011

Hello, My name is charity and my friend from Utah back in the states( i’m in France for a exchange program) but anyways I’m trying to find new ways to do my hair it getting boring haha I have long hair and i would not say its think but not thin either somewhere in there closer to the thick side do you think this style could be done on my hair? I’m having trouble getting it to work it does not look the same as in the picture

37. Posted January 15, 2012

CUTE!! I have VERY curly hair…I am going to try this with mine..we will see if it works!

38. Anonymous says
    Posted January 16, 2012

Thanks so much for the hair tutorials! I can’t wait to try out some of these with my hair. =)

39. MK says
    Posted February 5, 2012

It would be so nice if you could do a video tutorial on this…the folding in half on the other side is hard…thanks!

40. Cassie says
    Posted February 6, 2012

You have such pretty hair! It always looks great! Thanks for the videos… I’ve been so bored with my usual hairstyles!!!!!

41. Anonymous says
    Posted February 17, 2012

You could have use straightner then the rest off the hair would have been look lot batter…..

42. Posted March 2, 2012

Hi Kate! Just found your site via somebody’s post about Blissdom, and so glad I did! I’m a low-maintainance sort of person, and not-so-young anymore, but I do still care about how I look, and think it is important. Your hairstyle tutorials are inspiring! You make it look so easy. I just had to try this one. I did it with my hair straight, and it has taken a few tries to get the bobby pins centered and get the right amount of hair in, but I really like how it looks. Thank you so much!

43. lia says
    Posted March 13, 2012

I’ve been trying this style for a couple days but I can’t seem to get my hair to go in the right direction after the second bobby pin – it wants to go straight out, towards my ear, instead of vertical. Any tips?

44. TeacherChick says
    Posted March 22, 2012

Love your ideas! I was wondering if there are certain bobby pins that work better for thicker hair. I bought some “hair pins” but they totally don’t work, or I’m not using them right. Any suggestions? I’m about ready to chop my hair and thin it out so I can use more of your styles. They are just too cute! πŸ™‚

45. Anonymous says
    Posted April 5, 2012

Love this style, but I just don’t get what you mean by flip it! Could you please explain again for a beginner?

46. Keri says
    Posted May 7, 2012

If you get a chance to do a video tutorial for this, I would be so thankful. I also cannot figure out how to get this style flipped and pinned right. It looks so easy, but I am reallydumb when it comes to hair. Today I finally got it to where I thought it was safe to go out in public, but by the time I stopped at the post office and got back home, it was falling out. Thanks for all your tips! I have been looking for help with my hair my whole life and your demonstrations have been just what I was looking for!

47. Leana says
    Posted May 30, 2012

I love your hair style!!! Is there a way to get my hairsylist to do it just like it? Your hair is perfect length for updos and for wairing it down!

48. Admin says
    Posted July 5, 2012

i like hairstyles i want to say that i can serme whole life to the hairstyles hairstyles i can easily do this i like it.hairstyles are a primitive one and often linked with the popular and demanding styles in 60s and 70s both in men and women. A parallel hairstyles approach is still followed for girls and women in modern hairstyles amazing hairstyle with a little untidy that confers a rock & roll look to your hair. This curly hairstyles. style has gone mens hair styles through slight changes over the time. Unlikely to older styles.

49. Erika says
    Posted July 12, 2012

This is really sweet, well all your hairstyles are! I also love how you incorporate half side braids into your hairstyles πŸ™‚

xo
    Erika

50. Anonymous says
    Posted July 18, 2012

Love this site! Love the tips!

51. Anonymous says
    Posted July 28, 2012

Kate! I would love to try this style, but the link to the video is not working. Help!

52. Anonymous says
    Posted August 8, 2012

Do you bobby pin the center/top or just tease?

53. Posted September 11, 2012

Very nice post.really very very nice post.I liked this post.Read more

Hair Extensions

54. Anonymous says
    Posted September 16, 2012

I have long (1/2 way down my back)curly, thick hair. This works beautifully in my hair and is SUPER easy!!! My kind of style!!!! Thanks!

55. Posted October 20, 2012

Great post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed browsing your blog posts.

56. Posted December 22, 2012

There are numerous benefits of shopping designer swiss rolex
    online. Online store permits you to shop for designer catier love
    conveniently without even stepping out of home. You can shop for the designer softshell jackets online and get it delivered right at your doorsteps. Also you will get great collection of designer discount gucci handbags to choose from which you might not get at traditional stores. Generally traditional stores have limited cheap chanel handbags collection.

57. Posted December 22, 2012

I pinned this on Pinterest too! Love! Thanks!

58. Tanya says
    Posted June 11, 2014

Thanks For This Tutorial. These r Looking Stunning.

59. jennyfer says
    Posted January 15, 2015

If i were to do this hair style do can i do it with straight hair or does it have to be curled.

60. anika says
    Posted June 23, 2015

stunning! ! Would you just change it underneath the opposite part then and afterwards cover the bobby pin? ? Also how managed you get the hair to poof from the center? Looks completely normal, and simple and easy fashion . adore it.

61. anika says
    Posted June 23, 2015

Many thanks With This Training. These r On the lookout Breathtaking.