Bouncy Curled Under

bouncy curled under from The Small Things Blog

This is one of my favorite ways to style my hair, especially when it’s at it’s awkward stage. It’s not really on my shoulders, it’s not really above my shoulders. . .so I need a very loose and bouncy style so it can go where it wants to!

All you’ll need is hairspray, duckbill/alligator clips, a comb, and a flat iron.

I sprayed a generous amount of Aquage Uplifting foam at my roots, then blew dry upside down. My hair was washed with Redken Body Full and conditioned with Redken Extreme Conditioner.

This can be done on any length of hair, but the shorter the easier. If your hair is much past your shoulder blades, or really really thick, you may be better off just using Hot Rollers and then running a flat iron over the curls to soften them.

Part 2 + Backcombing
(wow, thats a good look.)
bouncy curled under hair tutorial from The Small Things
Please let me know how it goes for you! Again, even if you have a super short haircut, you can do 3-4 sections just on top of your hair for extra lift!

Comments

Waiting for my aquage to come in the mail! Will try this for sure. My hair is a bit shorter, so we shall see. Would love to see a tutorial on how you apply the aquage and blow dry your hair.
    Also, awaiting the follow-up video on how you styled it once you took the pins out.
    Thanks!

• Anonymous says

Hi, I I got my haircut in the long bob style. I tried styling my hair with the aquage, drying my hair the way you described and did the hair in the hot curlers. But I seem to loose the lift in the crown of my hair. I even used the Kendra 25 hairspray. What am I doing wrong? stackert@msn.com Thanks!

• says

I just got a new short cut ,your style but shorter, I straighten it flipping it up at the tips,,,,,lovin it but I love your style a lot…I am going to try it. :)

Second tutorial proves my theory that professionals have “magic fingers/magic touch” we unprofessionals don’t have!! Looks so easy and great!

• Anonymous says

I must say, I just got the aquage uplifting foam and love it. I was looking for some texture along with volume. And it def. does the trick. My hubby says when I’m done blow drying my hair looks like a lions mane! Hehe thanks Kate for telling us about it. Your a savior for many women! :) love you blog!

• says

Have you ever used Redken Guts? I’m wondering how it compares to Aquage….Also, do you have a tutorial on how you styled your bangs? I just can’t seem to master the sassy side-swept bang. –Christine

You are adorable, and I am LOVING your hair tutorials!! They are just what I want to know, and you make it look so easy! Keep them coming, and THANK YOU!! :)

4. Jen B says

I found you through Pinterest! Thanks so much for all the tutorials for the hair-styling impaired like myself! I am going to order some of the Aquage bc my hair is quite fine and I need all the help I can get with volume. :)

Love your posts! I have a similar hair cut but TONS of hair. I tried to curl mine like yours and I really liked it but it took FOREVER! Blow dry alone seems to take longer than it should. Any tips for how dry to towel dry and how dry before using a round or flat brush? Thanks!

SO glad I found your blog! Your hair is almost the exact length of mine (I’m trying to let it grow out) and it is so good to see all these cute ways to style my hair! Thanks for posting :)

PS: What kind of shampoo/conditioner do you use and what is your “hair routine” on a normal day? How long does it take you? So wishing I lived in NC so you could be my hairstylist!

7. Dani says

Would love to see how you style your bangs! Mine are always either separating, falling over my eyes or clumping into chunks. Thanks!

would redken “guts” foam do the same as your aquage? it’s a root lifter so i’m hoping… =) also, i always put root lifter at the crown/sides of my head, should i put it on the lower layers too?? thanks!!!!

Katy: I’ve used Redken Guts and haven’t been very impressed. Nothing compares to Aquage Uplifting Foam! And yes, use the root lifter on the crown, top, sides, and maybe toward the back of your head too! No need to put it at the nape of your hair though!
    Good luck!

wow! found you on pinterest! can your hair be any more perfect?! I want my hair just like that. It is such a pain to grow out,but I am determined. Love your tutorials! thanks for sharing!

Oh yay, can’t wait to try that! No wonder my hair never looks like that – I never tease or anything! Learning a lot on here, Kate. By the way, just sent you an exciting email!

This is the MOST BEAUTIFUL hair I’ve seen in a really long time–thank you for posting the steps! My hair is really thick and heavy….but I’m going to try to make this work! :)

You are awesome! I have naturally curly/wavy hair and live in HUMID Texas! My husband wants my hair straight. HELLO HARD WORK! I’m going to get my hair colored and cut in a few weeks. Can’t wait to get it done like this! Just ordered all of your favorite hair products to try! LOVE Redken!

14. Debbie says

LOVE your blog. I’m pretty sure you’ve changed my life! Out of curiosity, do you have thick or fine hair?

I just found your blog today, amazing! I have a ton of family in the Raleigh area and I would love for you to cut my hair next time I’m around. Plus, I know my sister would make you her regular stylist! Can I ask which salon you work at?

16. AmyRenee says

I absolutely ADORE your blog. i have shoulder length hair and am dying to try this for work tomorrow! keep posting, i’ll be checking back for more!!

I also want to know if you recommend this haircut for a round face. I have my hair to below shoulders but I plan to cut it. What do you recommend?

I’m inspired to cut my hair and actually start styling it, since I found your cute blog!!

I agree with what another commenter said; a tutorial about HOW you apply the Aquage would be great. I fully intend to buy the product. But I’m a little bit of an idiot when it comes to actually applying the stuff. :p

Do you use a heat protecting spray before using your hot tools? If so, which one do you recommend?

Melissa: I have a very grown out graduated bob haircut. And as long as you don’t let the hair end at your chin, you can do a cut like this. Just have your stylist angle it a bit more so its grazing your collarbone in front. :)

Bought Redken products yesterday. Still waiting for Aquage to arrive in the mail. I’m hopeful I can come close to styling my hair like yours! Just need the magic hairstylist fingers to kick in!!

Holy. Crap. I have fine, thin hair so after watching your videos I was impressed, but skeptical. I tried your technique this morning (along with my limited hairstyling skills, and the small “duckbill” pins I pulled out of my hair-clippy-making stash in my craft closet). I. Am. Amazed. I’ve never had such full, bouncy looking hair. Ever. THANK YOU!! I plan on doing it again tomorrow and taking pics that I’ll post on my blog. Seriously. Amazed.

Love your blog…this is a great tutorial..thanks! I know ALL about the humidity in NC, that’s where I’m from , and just left Guam. Needless to say, the messy bun is a staple for this girl!

23. Angie says

This is so cute! I have really thick but fine hair. Would it better for me to buy hot rollers? If so what brand do you suggest? I am very hair challanged.

24. Heather B says

I just wanted to thank you for the awesome tutorial! I had possibly one of my best hair days ever (too bad I didn’t have anywhere to go…)haha
    You are a great teacher and give great tips!

Thanks so much!

Thanks for this great styling tip! My hair is currently in a very awkward stage, and I’m hoping this will do wonders for it until I can get it cut. I’m your newest follower! :)

morrowsunshine.blogspot.com

26. Karen Peterson says

Love it; found you via pinterest and now I am thinking about shorting my hair a bit; you are simply adorable!!

27. Amy Timms says

Oh wow! I can actually style my hair like a stylist; I’m so glad I found you on Pinterest. Your instructions are great and I am actually able to use my hair tools like a pro. My 4 year old daughter loves to watch you too. In fact, she did her own hairstyling video yesterday after watching yours! I’m certain it would put a smile on your face if you were to watch it.

Amy Timms: oh my gosh! I laughed out loud at your comment! How sweet that your daughter made a video!! I would LOVE to see that. :)
    I’m glad my tutorials have helped you! Thanks for reading and taking the time to write me a note!

29. Allison says

I LOVE your hair. I am going tomorrow to take your picture to my stylist to get it cut. I have a couple question for you; first i have frizzy hair and as SOON as i hit the humidity the waves and frizz come out and my pretty straight hair is gone. What can I do? I am afraid to go too short because of this reason. Also, what is the best straightener to use? I have a Chi now but HATE it (its time for a new one). Thanks for your wonderful video.. I love your blog.

30. Catie says

Hey I love your hair cut here! I’d like to do this but I have semi thin and fine hair would this style work?

Hi Kate! I found your blog via pinterest and I LOVE it! I live near the Raleigh area and was wondering what salon you work at, and if you are taking new clients. I would love to have you do my hair! Please let me know, thanks :)

32. Lindsey says

So cute! I also found your video on pinterest, love the blog!! I have a terrible time trying to style my bangs, have you done any videos? Or have any tips.

Thanks,
    Linds

I found you on pintrest! I love the videos! You and I have the same spot of hair that doesn’t do right! I am a huge fan of makeup and hair how-tos! I love to hear the things I’ve been doing all these years isn’t just me figuring out what works best for me! Keep them coming- I’ll be back!

34. Jeannette says

I loved the video, and the style. However, I tried this morning, and could NOT figure out how in the heck to make a curl with my hands. Anything I tried to maneuver ended up a mess. Any way you could provide more detail on making those curls that get pinned up?

Also, I think I have really thick hair, and so where you have 3 curls out of 1 section, I have 9. Do I just need to suck it up and find gigantic rollers to struggle with?

35. Anonymous says

How is you hair actually cut? Is it a long bob style with lots of layers? And does your hair already have a natural wave or curl. I’m thinking of doing this for fall and I’m hoping I won’t need to do a lot of fixing since I already have a bunch of body/curl naturally.

Aonymous: my hair cut is a very grown out graduated bob. I’m actually working on a post to clarify exactly what I mean!
    It works well to encourage volume, but would also work well with naturally volumized hair too!
    Mine is cut on a slight angle (front is longer than back) but maybe only by about 1 inch.

Good luck with yours!

SO glad I found your blog! I just purchased some aquage uplifting foam, can’t wait to use it!
    This may be a weird request but can you take pictures of your hair from different sides that I could take to a stylist to show them what kind of cut I want? I recently got it cut into somewhat of a stacked bob but the stylist totally messed it all up and I hate it! As soon as it grows out a little more I’m hoping for a cut similar to yours!
    Thanks so much for taking the time to post all the tutorials, you’re awesome!

38. Sara D says

I’m definitely going to try this for my engagement pictures coming up. I recently had my hairdresser cut off six inches of my hair into this horrible haircut! To make matters worse, I’m getting married in 3 1/2 months!! So I am absolutely desperate for just about the shoulder length with short SHORT layers in the back kind of updos. Any ideas?

Hey Kate,
    I loved this video but I see at the top you say if you have long hair you should just use hot rollers and then flat iron out the curls….what hot rollors do you reccommend and what size? thanks!-Haley (the chick who likes her hair long but feels like she NEVER has volume or body :( xo )

Sara D: uhg! Sorry you got a bad haircut. First things first, consider getting a trim to make your hair cooperate at this new length.
    Secondly: half up styles will be perfect for you! I’ll attach a photo of my wedding hair soon so you can see what I did with mine. It could be a great option for you!

Thanks for reading!

BRILLIANT! I’m going to Sally’s after work to get me some clips! I can’t wait to try this! LOVE LOVE LVOE IT! You have FAB HAIR! I wish you were in Nashville and I’d come to you!

oh how I love your hair! the finished look was amazing! My hair is long, about middle of back, maybe longer… and it doesn’t seem to hold volume like I so desire! I do have layers and I would love for my hair to have more volume at the roots. I am going to try to do the “straighten up” trick, but do you have any other advice???? any specific product I should use pretty please!!! LOL
    Also, I have an etsy shop with some hair accessories that you might enjoy, feel free to check it out.

prettylilpieces@yahoo.com

Ooh! I LOVE this! My hair is just the right length and it’s driving me nuts. I just don’t know what to do with it. Trying this tomorrow for sure and hoping I look as cute as you do. Well, maybe I won’t go that far. I just hope my hair looks as cute as yours. We’ll see.

Totally following now to get more tips.

44. Jennifer says

I just found your blog and I am so glad! You have made me one happy camper as I am a dork when it comes to styling my hair. Thank you sooooo much!

Lovet his tutorial! Can’t wait to try this style even though my hair is longer and thicker- (I’m all about BIG hair). Looking forward to reading more (all) of your previous posts. Glad to find you on L’il Luna.

Just saw this in pinterest and excited to try it. Been struggling with making my hair look good, so hopefully this helps. One question: you say to blow-dry hair upside down, which I normally do, but I recently got bangs and when I went to blow-dry my hair (like I usually do) they stuck straight out and looked terrible and then I couldn’t get them fixed right. Suggestions?

Martha: I know, that can sometimes be a problem! :) try roundbrushing those first before you flip over. Then clipping them to the side so they don’t fly all over the place! :)

Hi Kate! Your hair is so pretty! This tutorial is great! Thanks for sharing! I did this to my hair today and it looked good! But…it fell flat in 2 hours =(. Do you have to re-tease your hair throughout the day? I want to try the Aquage, where do you get it? Online only or some place like Sephora or Ulta? And one more question, you say you blow dry your hair upside down. Well, how do you do that without making it a big tangled mess? Thanks again for all your great tips!!! I’m so glad I found your blog on pinterest.

Heather: using Aquage will help your style last all day! And finding it at a local salon or online will be easiest!

And I do blow dry upside down! Just make sure you blow dry in the direction of your hair, not toward your scalp!

This tutorial is AWESOME! I absolutely love this hair style and have always tried it with a round brush and hair dryer and I could never get it to really work. I have a few questions though about the flat iron:

You mentioned that you use a GHD brand flat iron, but after checking it out online, I realize that it is WAAAAY out of my price range.

Does the price of a flat iron really indicate a better quality flat iron?

Can I get the same result with a less expensive one?

Are there any brands that I should stay away from?

Eilish: Thanks! Unfortunately there is a big difference between a high quality flat iron and a cheap one. And you probably won’t get the same result with a cheap one. I would stay away from Chi flat irons. They are poorly made and seem to break constantly.

If you do try a cheaper iron, make sure to hang on to the receipt and return it if it doesn’t work for you!

Thanks for reading!

52. Stefanie says

I found you on Pinterest, and I am so glad I did! I have now enjoyed so many of your posts!!!

I have what I hope isn’t a stupid question – do you use a particular kind of comb when teasing? I have tried combs before, and never get the volume that I like. So I always go back to using my brush to tease, but my hair never ends up how I ultimately want it to!

Thanks!!!!

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! I’ve always kind of had the idea how to do these things, but I’m the kind of girl who needs step by step instructions! I am in love with your blog and tutorials! Just awesome!

54. Anonymous says

My hair is curly naturally and I blow it out with a round brush. Would I still blow it out with a round brush or would I still just flip my hair and only use the straightner?

55. Krista says

I have seen the top picture all over pinterest and absolutely love this style! It’s so funny that you say it’s at an awkward stage when I want someone to purposely cut my hair like this!! Haha it’s so cute :) my hair is down past my scapula…so I think I will wait until after I get married (sometime far in the future! :) to get it cut. Although this hair style is actually the first one in 4 years that has tempted me to get mine cut short again.

Hi Kate. I found your blog via Pinterest pics (which have become sort of cult-followed, i think)

Anyhow, I’ve been trying to get volume out of my new haircut without spending a fortune on hair product. (I have some drugstore volumizing mousse and Pantene spray root lifter and hair spray) My thing is, I can’t seem to get the teasing to really last – like more than 15 minutes. And when I do the bottom layer – it never stays that way, all curved under and such. Am I just not using enough product?

Mama Fuss: a few things– what is the length of your hair currently? That may be why it’s falling flat. Also, unfortunately, it may be the quality of the products. I haven’t found a drug store brand that works really well.

Also, when you tease your hair, make sure you are teasing it all the way down to the ends. Start by the root, and keep back combing until there isn’t any hair left in the hand that’s holding it up. Does that make sense? Also, make sure you are holding it straight up at you tease , instead of just out from your head.

Hope this helps!

58. Laura says

Hey Kate, I just stumbled across your blog last night and watched your bouncy curled under tutorial………aaahhhh I LOVED it, did the techniques this morning and my normally fine, thin, flat, lifeless hair is STILL volumized. So excited to finally find something that works. Thanks so much, btw I am so jealous of your hair :)

Thank you Thank you! I feel like such a dork because I’ve never been taught how to do my own hair. I appreciate these basic look tutorials and can’t wait to try them! I think you are adorable and love how you talk in your videos. Other hair tutorials are too valley-girl for me and I have to turn them off. :)

PerryParty: Thanks! Seriously, the reason I do my own videos and don’t refer people to other videos is because, yes, they can be a little obnoxious. :)
    Glad they are working for you!

Thank you SO much for saving my style!! My hair is short (well just above my shoulders) and fine and I have been having a hard time keeping my style fresh/modern in the days of “Long Waves”. SO THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!
    Also, I love Aquage products…are there any other of their products you would recommend for short/fine hair besides the Uplifting Foam and Thickening Spray Gel?

Hi! I found you on pinterest. Do you have a tutorial on how to do this with velcro rollers? I cannot get my fingers to make those curls. It was just a big mess. And I feel like when I try rollers I’m just a ball of static when I take them out. Thanks!!

63. Anonymous says

Thanks so much for the tutorial! I am growing out a graduated bob, and mine looks baaad! I am heading out to purchase a new flat iron right now!

What size flat iron are you using? You said it was a GHD I think. Is there anything close to that brand that would work well and isn’t as pricey?

Just bought the duck clips and will try doing this today. Love your hair!

HI!! Thank you so much for the video tutorial! I saw a picture of your hair a few months ago on Pinterest, but I didn’t know there were videos to go with it :) I went out today and bought almost all of your daily must have hair care products. The Aquage was not at Ulta, is it a salon only product? Also the Redkin 4 1/2 wasn’t there either. Another question I have, does your staightner sizzle when you leave it on your hair that long? I have a Chi and if I leave it on too long it sizzles my hair…any suggestions? Thanks for all your great tips!!!

Zandjmom: It is a 1 inch GHD. And yes, it’s expensive. Unfortunately it’s really hard to find a cheaper flat iron that can give you the same results without burning your hair. If I come across something, I’ll let you know!

Thanks!

• christy says

I cannot find anywhere where you say what temperature you set your flat iron at. Please lmk so I dont burn my hair ;).

The Shakelfords: Yes, Aquage is a private salon product. Search salons in your area.

And it’s probably bad news that your hair is sizzling with the CHI. I really don’t recommend CHI flat irons as they are made poorly and break constantly. Have you considered a GHD? They are the best!

What price range are you hoping for with a Blow Dryer?

Thanks! :)

This is such a great blog. I found you on Pinterest and I am so glad I did. All of your videos and photos are so helpful! I have always wanted to ask a professional, with a cute style, some questions about their hair, but your blog is perfect for that! Keep the post coming!

Your tutorials have changes my mind about my new hair cut! My hair was passed my bra strap and I cut it to your length. I was not liking how my hair looked…but after watching all your videos I get more complements that ever! Thank you for making me love my hair!!

I was wondering… I usually let my hair air dry at night to save time and style it the next morning. Can I still give this look a whirl, or do I need to go a different route? Is air drying going to limit my style options too much?

71. Anonymous says

I would love to see some posts where you do some of these styles on someone with long hair. It would be nice to see how they turn out on people with different hair cuts than yours.

LOVE this tutorial – I’ve always considered myself hair “challenged” but tried this one and it turned out great! Thank you for sharing – can’t wait to see more of these :)!

73. Anonymous says

I absolutley love your hair. It is exactly how I’ve been wanting mine for some time now. Your blog is awesome and I can’t wait to try out some of your techniques.

Also, the necklace you’re wearing in this video is so cute. Can I ask where you got it from?

74. Jessica says

What range of heat do you have your flat iron on? I tend to leave mine on a lower heat but that doesn’t seem to straighten my hair effectivly and if I turn it up much higher I get that pin straight 70′s look. My mother-in-law got me a professionals one since she works in a salon but I’m not 100% sure if I’m using it correctly.

75. Meagan in TX says

Hi Kate, i have been trying the bouncy curled under and its just not working. my hair is naturally curly and i think thats the problem even when i flat iron it, it still gets too curly after i take it down from the clips, any tips on super thick curly hair to get like yours? my hair is layed and just below my shoulders. I want it just like yours please come to TX and show me how. haha.
    thanks

76. Katelyn (Kate) says

Hi Kate! Love your hair! I took a few pics of your hairstyle to show the lady who cuts my hair here in High Point, NC and we did something similar, I did not get my bangs as dramatic bc I was going from a longer hairstyle. I am going to attempt your bouncy curl under at some point. I havent done anything too dramatic with it yet because during the week I tend to wear it curly (natural waves) and then weekends I have more time to straighten. But wanted to pass along that I LOVE your blog and your hair tutorials!

HI Kate! I love your hair! I am getting my hair cut similar to yours next week. I am bringing in the picture of your hair to my hairstylist. Should I let her know anything about how it is cut (layers, angles, etc.) or should she just know from the pictures? Thanks Kate I love your website!

Kate, I love the hair and come to Raleigh often. (My son goes to school there). I was wondering if you mind giving out your shop name. I would love to have you cut and color my hair. I am very timid when it comes to my hair and have not had it professionally done for so long. I am in dire need.!! Thanks!

I love this! I recently got my hair cut in the same style just a bit shorter and have been having trouble styling it. This is so helpful and I love that it only took about 15 minutes of “active” time but looks so gorgeous!

80. Amy B says

Hey Kate!!!! You also have a picture of your haircut on another page… is your hair THAT length in this picture/tutorial as well? Cause I used the picture above to get my hair cut and I think she left it too long. Just wondering if I do your method, if my hair will be short with the “curled under” style? Also, if I go back to her to have her cut it some more, should I pay/tip her anything again?! (she’s a Master stylist). THANKS!!!!!

Amy B: The bouncy curled under may “shorten” your hair a bit when it’s styled that way. But only slightly.

And go ahead and go back to her. tell her you love the cut, you just know it will feel grown out too soon. And no need to tip her twice, I think. But do whatever you feel comfortable with!

82. Anonymous says

HEATHER WROTE—-
    Love. Love, Love this! I have longer hair (about 6 inches past my shoulders) and did this style using the hotrollers like you suggested. I did not know quite how to do it, but I kept playing with it and it ended up great! I would love a tutorial for longer hair using hotrollers if you could find model. Thank you for all your tutorials, they truly help so much!

I have never been one of those girls that is good at styling her hair. I tried this bouncy curl this morning and LOVE it. I have been getting compliments all day.. Thank you so much for these tutorials!

Can you post one of how you blow dry your hair? When I blow dry it upside down- it doesn’t get dry enough (or my arms get tired hah) when I dry it normal, it gets flat.

any advice?

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! for doing these tutorials!! I grew my hair out from a very short layered style to below my shoulders with a few bangs and layers. Now I don’t know what to do with it!!! Thanks for showing me “how” to style my hair! Can’t wait to try these out!
    On my way upstairs now to trim my own bangs! ;}
    Rebecca~

Hi Kate – I found your blog through Pinterest, and I am so excited! I am a stay at home mom of 2 little ones, and I have really put hair and makeup on the back burner. After finding your blog, I’ve been inspired to try some new things. I feel like a completely different person :) I just wanted you to know that you have given me the confidence to try new things (and it really doesn’t take me that long to style my hair and put on simple make-up). Thanks for your sweet videos! Wish I lived closer to you, so you could do my hair.

Oh. My. Gorgeous! Thank you so much for posting this….I have a hair style similar to yours, and I can NEVER get it to behave. I have a love/hate relationship with my Chi, hair dryer, and round brushes. I love them, but I HATE them some days! I’m also slightly type-A with my hair, so I’m never truly happy with it. :o) I’m spending some time this afternoon to test this out.

LOVE LOVE LOVE…took your pic to my stylist..she cut it close to it but said mine was too thin to be that full…however, I cannot wait to try this tip to see if mine will do that! THANKS! This is the best style ever! You are adorable…I am a new follower!

88. Anonymous says

You are such a natural and this was such a big help. You make it look easy which helps us have a “can do” approach. I would enjoy seeing any tutorials you do!

I have a similar cut and when I leave the styalist I look very cute and I have bouncy hair… I get home and not so cute… I just can’t do it the same! So thank you for this post… I am going to try it out and fingers crossed I can do it!

90. Anonymous says

Kate, is your ghd a “classic” or “professional” flat iron? There’s about a $40 price difference between the two, and I was wondering if it’s worth springing for the professional. Thanks! :)

91. Anonymous says

I am growing out my a line bob now. Your haircut is my goal! Is a graduated bob the same as an Aline (shorter in back longer in front)? Any tips for growing out? I usually get frustrated and chop it after a few months. So inspired by your blog!

I came across the top picture here on pinterest. I loved your hair! I printed it out and brought it to my hairdresser and chopped 15 inches off my hair to create a look similar to yours. (13 inches were donated to Locks of Love). The pin didn’t direct me back here so I had no way of finding where it came from or getting more ideas. I happened to see another pic tonight and was like wow that looks like the same girl! I did a little jumping around on your blog and sure enough, it was you! So here I am on your blog and it’s great. Thanks for the inspiration! I am a life long -very long hair girl. Not anymore!!

I LOVE this hairstyle! It’s so cute. I was thinking about cutting my hair shorter, and I really like the way this style looks. What is the best way to tell my stylist that this is how I want my hair cut? Thanks :)

94. Laura Coffman says

I ALWAYS wanted to know how to do this! I would go in to my salon to get my hair done and ask how to get this look but they never showed me how to do it like this. Probably because they wanted me to keep coming back to have them style it! Thank you SO much for posting this! my hair is at an akward length so this will help me until it grows a little longer!!

95. Chelsea says

I am thinking of getting this cut, I have naturally THICK and wavy/curly hair. It’s pretty long with some layers right now because I like to wear my hair naturally curly with mousse after washing. Do you think this is a style that would need to be styled everyday? Or would scrunching it work too?

96. Sherry says

I don’t have bangs, but have the same length of hair as you do. On this type of style, would you make a parting in your hair or what would you do? Also, my hair in the front grows forward, so I’m always having to tuck it behind my ears otherwise it’s in my face. Any solutions to that problem?

97. JMurph says

I love the website. My friend at work told me about your site and I love it. You are so trendy. Thanks for all the great hair tips. Even though I have long hair they still work. Keep up the good work :)

98. Anonymous says

I finally bought a CHI after seeing your tutorials. Before I didn’t understand how to use one to add body & curl. Thank you!

Thank you sooo much! My hair has the same style but shorter and now I know how to get the lift I’ve always wanted. Oh and I now I have a flat iron on my Christmas list! Cheers!

I have alot of thick hair, and it’s silky. This doesn’t seem to work for me, and when I tease my hair, it goes immediately flat when I go to grab a next section. Whats wrong with my hair? :(

101. Anonymous says

Kate I just found this tutorial through pintrest and I am in need of a haircut bad, I have been puttng it off after I started losing a lot of my hair after delivery my son several months ago. This has inspired me to finally callmy stylist for an appointment, but I have a question. In the past I’ve had her cut my hair in a “bob” style that is shorter in the back and longer in the front, is that what I should have her to do in order to be able to style like this or should it all be one length? Thanks!

I had my hair cut into a swing bob but I am not very good at styling my hair and it always looks like poo. I really couldn’t stop it from curling out everywhere. I did this today and it looks perfect. You make me want to love my hair :D

Thank you so much!

103. Carla says

Hi I was wondering what hairspray did you use? Also is it best to use a salon style flat iron verse a conair brand??
    Thanks,
    Carla

104. Anonymous says

I just love your hair! I have a question?!?? What do you out on your hair prior to flat ironing to make it curl so good? I tried it and obviously need some kind Of product in my hair so it’s not just limp. Thank you for sharing

Hello! I love your hair tutorials! I’ve learned a lot of great techniques about how to properly style my hair and am even inspired to get side swept bangs again! I had them once but never really knew how to style them. Anyway, I tried this hairstyle today and was having a few problems. First, my straightener made my hair so hot that trying to handle it burnt my fingers, ouch! Second, I had a bit of a hard time getting the pieces to curl over and pin properly (though this is possibly because of the hair being so hot). Lastly, I ended up with a curled out look instead of curled under which my hair sort of tends to do anyway, but was hoping for a different outcome using this technique. I don’t really mind the finished style, but it wasn’t really what I was going for. It looks pretty cute with a headband and satin flower clip though. Any suggestions on what I can do to better achieve this style? Also, I’m thinking of getting my hair cut so that it is a bit shorter with more layering throughout which may help. Right now I only have rows of layering at the bottom 1-2 inches of my hair.

106. Anonymous says

Hi, I was wondering if you have any advice on really damaged hair…any products you can suggest…due to lack of nutrients and other problems the front of my hair has broken off.. The whole texture of my hair has changed…do you have any suggestions?

107. Anonymous says

i am not good with a flat iron or a curling iron, how would i roll my hair with hot rollers to get this style, i have also never used hot rollers=.

So, I did it! I chopped off my hair for this cut and couldn’t be happier! I use Bumble and Bumble Thickening Hairspray for the lift and with a little teasing, it stays bouncy…… LOVE, LOVE, LOVE!
    Thank you for the tutorial and inspiration!
    Stacey

109. Anonymous says

Kate, I stumbled onto your blog through Pinterest and I absolutely Love it! I just tried the “Bouncy Curled Under” technique with my hair on Thanksgiving and got tons of compliments. Love the ease of your tutorials! Thanks for sharing and keep them coming :)

I would like to take a pic of this cut to my stylist – is there anything I should tell her that would more accurately and “professionally” describe it to her? Thanks!

You have totally inspired me! I have been bored with my long straight hair and am so excited to go chop it off and donate it! I’ll let you know how it goes! Thanks for spending time posting!

112. Kim says

LOVE all your tutorials. I have a similar cut and never could get it to do much. Though my hair will probably not look anywhere near as amazing as yours, I can’t wait to try all of these, thank you so much!!

Can you please give us a video of how to blow dry our hair?? My hair always looks a complete mess, that in order for me to look presentable, I have to blow dry and then go through and flat iron my entire head before I can even start styling. And that process alone takes me about an hour. PLEASE HELP!

114. Ashley says

I’m in love with this style but can’t seem to get the flat iron to do what I want. I think it might be because I need a new one but I can’t seem to get that bend. Any advice?

HI Kate, Question for you my hair has lots of fine hair my hair dresser says but i think my hair is thin but she says it is not I just have a lot of fine hair and my hair is naturally curly so I have to blow dry with a round brush to get it straighter then I use a straightner. Will this technique still work for me because I have to use a round brush in the beginning??

116. Anonymous says

Adorable! I like all the tips!. I have been using a regular curling iron for years but I think I will move onto a flat iron because the lift it was able to give you. Thanks for the tips. Also, do you have any easy pull back your hair in 10 minutes for moms with kids. I hardly have any time for cute hair these days…

117. Anonymous says

I have been looking for a blog on how to get volume to my hair. It is in the stage where I am growing it out from a very short bob. Thank you so much it was very helpful!!!

118. Shannon says

How do you keep from burning your fingers when you hold the hair after flat ironing it? I’m having trouble pinning up the curls after using the iron because the hair is so hot. My hair is super thick so I have to use a high heat setting or I don’t get any results. Thanks!

119. Anonymous says

I saw your picture on Pinterest and had to have the cut. I haven’t cut my hair in 7 years. I absolutely love it and am thrilled that you have a tutorial on how to do the bouncy style. I can;t wait to try it! Thanks you are gorgeous!

120. Jessica says

Kate, where can I get the Aquage Uplifting Foam? Does Sally Beauty or Ulta have it? Or do I have to buy it online? Thanks!

121. Anonymous says

I’ve had long hair forever and have wanted something different for the past several year. I am 48 and don’t think my long hair is going to be flattering much longer, LOL. I love the long bob and think it is perfect-lenght and body, shape etc.. however, I’m terrified the stylist will just cut it into layers and it won’t look like yours. Do you have any tips for the cut to be like the photo of you? I’d feel much better showing the stylist! It is beautiful and I love your tips!!1

122. Anonymous says

I am in love with this style! I have a love affair with my long hair(to the middle of my back) but I am ready for a more grown up look and other than trims, I have never cut my hair like this before. As of Friday I am trying out this style! Thank you so much for sharing. You are beautiful!

123. Anonymous says

I love your site and the tutorials. My problem is that my hair is so thick that the loose up-do’s do not work. I had to use WAY to many bobbie pins. Any suggestions for thick hair??

Found you through Pinterest…THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU! Love your hair tutorials…I have been trying to get the cut you have forever. Where are you located? I want you to do my hair so much!!

125. Anonymous says

Kate, I love your hair! I had very long hair and wanted a change, so I took your picture to I could get the same style. My hair stylist cut my hair a little shorter than yours, but I love it!! Thank you so much for your great tips!!!

126. Anonymous says

You are precious!!! I love love love your blog! I want your “bouncy curled under” hair style! I will be following your hair, jewelry and crafts tips. You are gifted little one! Found you via Pinterest.

127. Anonymous says

I’ve been looking for a new cut that was versatile and refreshing. I love this! In my mid fifties it’s a struggle sometimes to find a look that isn’t old but isn’t too young either. I think most any age could wear this; it’s adorable. Thanks so much for your post!

128. Amanda W says

Love love love your hair. I’ve been searching for a new hair/cut style. We have about the same texture hair. I cannot wait to get in the salon now. Thank you so much for sharing because I would be lost trying to style my hair like yours. I’m saying good-bye to long lifeless locks.

129. Anonymous says

Would like some tutorials on curly hair mine is about this length and cut and tends to frizz or is hArd to wear curly because of the length

Thank you, thank you!!! You are fabulous and a BIG help to those of us that are kinda hair rejects. I always need step by step help for a new style. I really appreciate the videos and upfront tutorials! Hugs to you.

Very adorable. My hair stylest is going to kringe when she see’s me walking in her door carring another picture with, lol. My hair is very short and thin. I do get alot of compliments on my hair and for the most part like it, until I see cute cuts like this. Not sure if my thin hair could pull it off.

132. Anonymous says

A video i have been looking for is a video showing the easiest, and least damaging way to straighten/style my naturally curly hair.

I am loving your blog! I have very thick hair. It took some doing to get this style complete :) My hair is just below my shoulders. I am thinking I need to get my hair thinned out and get some layers. Any suggestions for VERY thick hair? Thanks so much. Again, I am loving your blog!

134. Anonymous says

LOVE THIS LOOK!!! Exactly what I have been wanting my hair to do:) How do you get your bangs like that? When I go get my hair cut what am I supposed to tell my hairdresser to do? I have a cowlick and my bangs ALWAYS give me heck! If you could post a video on how you blowdry/fix your bangs that would be greatly appreciated!!

135. Michelle says

I love this hair style, my hair is real long but I feel like driving to NC so you can cut it! How long should the clips be left in for the best turn out?

136. Anonymous says

So that’s how I’m supposed to be styling my hair. LOL My SIL gave me that same haircut and I don’t do much with it since I don’t have a flat iron. I’ll have to go get one.

-MaddieT

I just wanted to thank you for taking the time to share your talents with us. It is so helpful for those of us who have never been shown how to do our hair. I really appreciate it.

138. Anonymous says

Kate., my hair is so thin., and idk how to make it stay curled under.. any tips? and the stuff that you apply under pieces of hair.. (notsure what its called) but what other things can you use for that? Another thing is., i tried to cut my own bangs and that didnt work out very well.. do you have any suggestions on what to do? /: Thanks.! (:

139. Shallyn says

Trying this tomorrow! My hair is pretty much this length after cutting 6 inches a week ago and I’m having a hard time adjusting!

140. Anonymous says

I love your blog and all of the helpful tips you give. Can you tell me the type of hairspray you use? Thank you

I saw this picture on pinterest and thought this is totally want I have been looking for as far as a goal for my hair. I also do hair (only3 years in so far) and have been so bored with my hair and ready for something new. I am now working towards this. Also I had no idea you had a blog I have been looking at all of your stuff and you do some really great work and have really inspired me to try more things with my own hair. I am also from IL, but in the southern part. ANYWAY I am just super excited to see more new things from you!

Hi Kate,
    I thoroughly enjoyed watching your video tutorials of, “Bouncy, Curled Under.” They were full of great tips on flat ironing. I need to see if I can find some of the Aquage Uplifting Foam product you mentioned-I haven’t heard of this before.
    **Or, would a basic styling mousse work? Is this the same thing as the Aquage Uplifting Foam?
    I also tend to cut my own hair. Can you recommend a good website for this?

Thank you very much and I have subscribed to your blog in my RSS google reader. :) :)
    _______
    Lee Ann

My new blog: Crochetgottaloveit
    *********
    My website: Crochet…Gotta Love It!

143. Anonymous says

OMG, you are my new best friend lol! No one has ever taught me makeup, hair, etc…so you have filled that void!! Thanks!!
    -Amanda

144. Angie says

Hi! I love your blog. I am wondering if there is a shortcut to this style? I am strapped for time with three daughters under 5! Is it possible to get the look without pinning the hair? Thanks much!

Angie

145. Gabrielle says

What temperature do you put your flat iron to? Do you think hotter is better when it comes to using your iron? I’m always afraid the high heat will damage.

146. Anonymous says

I really enjoyed watching.. You’re great to explain , makes it look real easy… I can’t wait to try… Beautiful hairstyle

147. Alicia says

You are just the most adorable person ever and thank you for taking the time to instruct us!

Like the other poster said, I have A TON of thick hair and you commented that velcro rollers may be the way to go. I’ve been curious about them for years but have never tried. I’d love to see that tutorial.

148. Anonymous says

Hi! I love your blog & I am constantly coming here to get a cute little idea to be the icing on my outfit! ;) My hair was getting pretty long, around my bra strap. After watching this video last night, I went today and had my hair cut. It’s a little shorter than yours, but I was ready for a change! She cut 4 1/2 inches off! I used this video as a guide to getting ready tonight for my date night and received lots of compliments!! THANKS AGAIN…and you are AMAZING!

149. Anonymous says

So you just use root lifter, straight iron, and then pin it up? Do you hair spray it after you pin up the curls to make it stay? How long did you keep the curls in? I usually pull my hair up because I can’t make it look like my stylist does. I’m hoping this will work! Other people may have asked, but where do you get the root lifter? Thanks!

THANK YOU so much for your video tutorials!!! You have seriously changed my (hair) life! ha! I have a cut very similar to yours, but without the bangs (debating adding those). I have always grown mine into long layers, then I get bored and cut it into a graduated bob, get bored, grow it out… you get the picture… but now I have options for styling this bob… I am thrilled!!

I found your blog through pinterest! I have done this to my hair a few times since I saw this tutorial and I absolutely love it!!! I have it book marked! hah. I always get so many compliments!! Thank you so much for this AWESOME tutorial!!

OMgosh I just found you and I can’t click follow fast enough!! I love styling tips!! I have a question about the way to click your hair up in sections before you use the flat iron on each section… I have been using a clip that looks like a chip clip to hold up my top hair while I start on the lower underneath hair… I find I always get a “dent” on the top layers from the clip. What should I be using?? thank you thank you!! off to watch more!

153. Anonymous says

Hello! I write from Monterrey, Mexico. I am writing to congratulate you and thank you for sharing all your secrets and tricks of hairstyles, I am fascinated! Both my hair cut today as yours haha hope to follow in your footsteps. Thanks!

154. Anonymous says

155. Anonymous says

Hi there, I would love for you to post a video of you drying your hair. Sounds crazy but I do think it matters because it is the start of your styles. Thanks !!

156. Karen Schwesinger says

LOVE your hair tutorials! Absolutely love your hair and the different styles you show! Keep them coming!!! Thanks !!! I found you on Pinterest!

157. Jules says

just stumbled upon your picture on pintrest which directed me to your blog! what an absolutely amazing site! in love and anxiously awaiting to try all of your hair techniques. thank you thank you!

158. Anonymous says

I actually took a picture of you to my hair stylist as I am one too, just not practicing at this time, I got the cut only about three inches shorter than yours, waiting on mine to grow but love yours and enjoyed the videos!!

Oh my goodness…thank you! I’m incredibly ‘hair challenged’ and my hair length is right there just now. It’s really thick though so I might just put in hot curlers and then tame it a bit. Awesome and very, very helpful!

160. Anonymous says

Kate, I just found your blog and fell in love with it! My hair is very similar to yours (yours is amazing!!), but lately I have gotten so many bad cuts since moving to Texas I have not been able to find a stylist I like. Because of all the bad cuts I am at a loss for styling and have given up trying to do it. I am so excited to have found this through pinterest and now I can take these pictures in to show them what I like and be inspired to start doing my hair again. I also wanted to applaud you on you very creative blog. This has really made my night and I can’t wait to follow it and share it with all my friends.

Shannon:)

Hi Kate!!! I LOVE this hairstyle! I had always had long straight hair and had a horrible experience with a while back with a short cut and have been growing it out 6 years since then until I found your blog! I went and cut 11 inches off to get this style and I adore it! Thank you so much! Anyway I have two questions, I live in Northern Wisconsin and in the winter it gets super dry and my hair is horrible with static. Is there anything you recommend that will stop the static but not make my hair oily/greasy? Second, how much Aquage do you use when you style your hair like this? Thanks again for the time you take to make this blog! :-)

HOLY MOLY! You don’t even know how long I’ve battled to get full hair. I have very fine hair, but TONS of it, so it is weighed down by itself no matter what cut I have. I found this pic of you on pinterest and knew that I couldn’t give up…you have my dream hair! So…I invested in Aquage (yes, it is pricey!)and got myself some big velcro rollers (my fingers aren’t as talented as yours and I wasn’t having luck with just the duck clips), and took your picture to my stylist…and I am happy to report that I love my hair! It is bouncy curled under just like I hoped for. And I can’t believe how the Aquage really does help it stay full all day (and even the 2nd day for me!) Thank you so much for your pics, tutorials, advice, and encouragement!

163. Anonymous says

Hi! I absolutely love your blog. I currently have long hair, about 2 inches past my shoulders, and was thinking about cutting it to my shoulders, much like your style. I have very fine, thin hair that is usually flat and has very little body. I was wondering if I could achieve this look with my non-cooperating hair if I used the Aquage and curled my hair like this. Thanks for any help!! :)

164. Anonymous says

Hey! I found you on Pinterest, and I love you and your hair:)! What I really love is that you actually showed yourself working on your own hair. I always look great in the salon, but can’t seem to get at the back at the same angle as my stylist. Thanks for showing the whole process. I’ll be visiting your site a lot more often. From one hair styling impaired person, I can’t tell you how much I appreciate this!

Hi Kate, I just found your blog! It is amazing. I LOVE your hair tutorials!! My hair is fine and has some natural wave and I never know how to add volume or do updos, etc. Your blog is fantastic! Thanks for sharing all these great styles :) I’ll be checking back regularly.

Bonnie

Bonnie

Hi! I found your tutorial on Pinterest and I just have to tell you…I LOVE IT!! I did it with my hair today and I am absolutely in love. THANK YOU for sharing your knowledge and skills with the rest of us. Seriously, you rock! I’ve been spreadin’ the love…posted about this on my blog, Facebook and Pinterest.

168. Amy says

Thank you so much for your tutorials! I learned more in one of your videos than years trying to “pay attention” at the salon! You are wonderful- keep up the great work!

169. Anonymous says

I got a terrible haircut and was feeling down on myself. I tried this tutorial and now feel like a million bucks. I couldn’t thank you enough!!!

170. Anonymous says

Really needed a new dew, saw this and i was in love .. thanks so much for showing how to do the curls it helped alot!!!!!!!!!!:):)

171. Anonymous says

I have a question about hair damage. It has been almost a year ago in March what was supposed to be the kerington treatment they did the brazilion blow out instead. It also feels like your touching a brillo pad. I had really tight curls and now I have lifeless spaghetti looking hair. I just wanted to defriz it. I have had the kerington done before and loved it. I also got extentions in April to try something new with the sad hair I was left with. Well it turned out the batch that I had got put in my hair had fungis and destroyed all of my hair and was killing it from were it was attached and moving up towards my scalp to where I had blisters. I went back and complained many many times and instead of taking them out she started thinning my hair so it would blend and not look so damaged. She did it so much when I do wash my hair and if I were to let it dry it looks like I have 2 different hair cuts. I went from beautiful full curly hair to a mess. My question is how long does it take for the hair to go back to its original state, and how long before my thin hair would be thick enough to pull it back or do anything with and look normal and nice again.

172. Anonymous says

Thrilled I stumbled upon your blog. I’ve been following hair blogs of fun things to do with my daughter’s hair with a lot of success, but as to my own hair, not so much. I’ve never been good at using a round brush on myself, so I could never get the lift and swing that my stylist could. But I tried this today (and without any product but hairspray–I’ve got to go shopping) and it is unbelievable. I had several folks ask me at church when I got a new haircut :). Love the tutorials, thank you for taking the time for us.

173. Anonymous says

Hi, I was reading your blog and though you mentioned what type of hot curlers to use nd they were from Sallys, but I can’t find that information. Could you please let me know which ones? I am trying to get the long bob look but my hair is thick so I think I need to use the hot curlers. I love the aquage and the hair spray is great!

174. Anonymous says

Tried this on Saturday and it did not work for me. I have longer hair, a little below the shoulder. I found that it curled my hair instead. Any advice? I was starting at the root, but I think it may work better if I started in the middle of my hair and work down. What do you think.
    Thanks so much!!
    Jordan

175. Anonymous says

Kate, I love this style! Going Thursday for this cut. My hair length now is about elbow length, so it will be very drastic for me. I will be donating to Locks of Love it’s just bittersweet. Wish me luck…lol

176. Anonymous says

I love all you did here. It seems that you never get taught to fixyour hair at home. You look great leaving the salon but then what….. thanks so much.

177. Emily says

I LOVE all of your hair tutorials! There arent enough styles out there for short/medium hair cuts…you have helped so much and I feel so confident now! THANK YOU!! (:

178. Christy says

Thank you!!! You have saved me from the ugly ponytail that I always wear because I didnt have any clue how to create the hairstyles that I see and like.

179. Genine says

Oh my god! I love your hair & I love seeing that you do it yourself. This Friday I’m bringing your picture to my hairdresser & I’m having about 7in cut off. I can’t wait to try all of these new styles! Thank you do much for showing us that we can have a salon look everyday! You are just what I needed :)

180. Anonymous says

I am SO glad I came across your blog. I have wanted to see how to do proper back combing and flat ironing. Your blog is AMAZING! Thanks for sharing.

181. Anonymous says

WOW! I am a elementary teacher with 2 young kiddos of my own! I can’t wait to start “doing” my hair again! I get so lazy sometimes, but these look soooo simple and wonderful! Thank You!!!

I have had long hair my whole life. And recently I just cut 9-10 inches off. So my hair is shoulder length and I have no idea what to do with it. Your site has saved my life! Thank you for all the ideas. Now I don’t have to just wear it straight everyday! You’re great!!

This tutorial is awesome!!! i love it so much!! I agree Aquage has the BEST uplifting foam ever! Im a hairstlyist and used to work at a beauty supply and it is hands down my fav. volume go to! From one stylist to another great blog and hair! =)

Thank you so much for your tutorials! I have always been a wash and go kind of gal, then I found you on Pinterest. Love your hair and styling. Your tutorials make it look so easy and they are! OK with practice. =) Keep up the wonderful work!

Thank you for your wonderful tutorials! I have always been a wash and go kind of gal. I hated the fuss but loved the look. With your guidance I have taken the leap and I am so glad I did. Keep up the good work!

186. Anonymous says

I love the hair! I am looking for a place to purchase the GHD 1″ Classic Iron and Rusk Speed
    Freak Blow Dryer. I have found a few on the internet but would like to be sure it is real. Any suggestions?

I am super excited that I found your blog!!! I have fine somewhat thin hair and it is nearly impossible to make it look good. I am definitely going to find some Aquage to try and I have already done a couple of your pulled up styles. I can’t wait to try this one!!! It would be great to be able to have some lift in my hair!! Thanks!!!!

188. Samantha patterson says

What kind of flat iron is this again!? I am getting my hair cut into this style for the summer. And is your hair naturally blonde like that!? Thanks:)

189. Anonymous says

Your hair is gorgeous! Thanks for the short hair idea. Think I am getting it cut this weekend, my hair is down almost to my waist and have been looking for a cute short do and this looks cute and fun…. Btw I found you on Pinterest (:

190. Anonymous says

I have a wedding next weekend. I want to do my hair like this! I hope i can!! My length is what you have.

…Hi, just had to tell you…I’m a cosmetologist and now that Pinterest has blown up, I have clients bring your picture in on a regular basis. Thanks for keeping me busy!

192. Anonymous says

Love, love what you do with your hair… Thanks for giving all the tips you give. I have a GHD iron as well and love it.

Kate, i have tried a few of your styles with little success- i wondered if my hair is too thick? Now i realize you cant see my hair but is it possible? Also if one has thick hair would you still back comb it or not? My hair seems to be the same length as yours or close to it but it isn’t co-operating near as beautful as yours. My nine year old daughter just watched a tutorial of you with me and she commented “I want to be just like her she is gorgeous” she read my thoughts…I love your blog and style tutorials just gets frusterating when I dont succeed, Mom said to me the other day “when are you going to something with your hair I hate it. I sm going to try the bouncy curl tomorrow for church

194. Anonymous says

Hi! Just found you through pinterest and my hair is thankning you already! I have a very similar cut, but am feeling so blah with it this winter… your blog came just in time to perk up my hair for spring! :) Thanks! Can’t wait for more posts!

So glad I found you on Pinterest, Kate! I tried this trick this morning, and it worked GREAT! I am by no means a very good hairdresser, and have very very fine hair (not many hair bands can hold it, just pulls right out), so getting body and bounce into my hair usually takes massive curling and hairspray. Not only did I get amazing body, but it is still soft so I don’t have a helmet head to hold it! Thanks for sharing your knowledge with the masses! :)

196. Anonymous says

Kate-Thank you, thank you, thank you for your tutorials! I purchased myself a can of Aquage uplifting foam and tried my hand at your bouncy style today. It came out great,not as perfect as yours though. The Aquage foam is amazing, I shall never be without it again! Thank you for all of your help insight and tips, your the best!
    Gail

197. Karen says

I took your picture to my hair stylist this morning and she cut off six inches of my hair to obtain this style! My hair is extremely thick and coarse- so it doesn’t look quite the same. I’m going to the beauty supply store and see if they have the products you recommend. Hoping I can get it to look a little more like yours. I love the step-by-step tutorial. I might actually be able to do this. For the first time in many years I’m excited about my hair.

198. Anonymous says

Hey Kate :) I love this tutorial although I’ve heard countless times that teasing is bad for your hair. I LOVE volume and want to tease it every chance I get, but now I’m worried that it will cause serious breakage. What is your say?

199. Anonymous says

Do you have any recommendations for people with naturally straight thin hair to give it body? I have a mid length A line but I have a hard time making it look full enough and keeping it to stay that way.

200. Anonymous says

Kate – you are TRULY an inspiration. I am horrible at doing hair – A friend helped me try this, and it didn’t turn out exactly like yours but I had more body than ever! I felt so pretty! I will definitely keep trying it and try and get better. THANK YOU!! All of your posts are great, I think my husband is just as grateful that I found you as I am! XO

201. Cindy says

Found this on Pinterest. You are adorable and made it so easy to follow. I just had my hair cut into a slightly shorter version of this cut. I have naturally curly (frizzy) hair and kept getting a flat, boring look with the flat iron. Can’t wait to try this!

202. lovely locks says

I also saw this picture in Pinterest. I adore the cut and wish I could find someone to do it. I don’t trust people cutting my hair. Had the same girl do my hair forever & she is no longer available. My hair is now down to my bottom and the bangs are past my shoulders. This is the cutest cut I have seen, Just wanted to say thanks! I’m gonna be bold and take my laptop with me. See if I can find someone to cut it like yours! =^;^=

203. Sidni says

Kate,
    Like many others on here I”m a fan!! Thanks for sharing all your wisdom and hair knowledge. It’s a relief to finally find someone with Fine hair AND have the same taste in hair styling so thank you for all your hard work to keep this site up.

Could you post a video on how you blow dry your hair and maybe demonstrate how you apply the products as well… All of your videos start with your hair dry and I’m in need of some blow out help :)

204. Anonymous says

Kate, My sister had a picture on her phone of a haircut that I fell in love with. I’ve had the same hairdo for 30 years and decided to change. I took the picture to a friend who has a salon and told her to cut mine like that. It turns out that picture was you with the bouncy curled under look. My hair is cut, but I haven’t been able to figure out how to make it look like the picture. Was thrilled to find your videos explanning step by step. Today I tried the bouncy curl….well, i have too much bounce. I’m thinking I have alot more hair than you. I’m not going to give up, but not sure how to make my hair do that. Thanks again. Will keep experimenting with it.

205. Natash says

Sooo excited to try this. This will be my Easter do tomorrow. Can’t wait to wear to church. So glad my sister started me on your blog! Thanks for sharing!

206. Anonymous says

Hi Kate,

Love the tutorial. I have longer hair and tried this and it was great. One question though. What about longer bangs, what direction do I take the flat iron for the bangs without the bangs ending up in my face??

207. Anonymous says

OMG, I am just here to say that you are my ideal woman! Visually, YOU are my dream wife. If I didn’t have my…ummmm second place wife already, I would make a poster of your picture (anyone of them really) and do creepy things with it. Deaf and mute would have to be added because you are just too hot!

Absolutely LOVE your blog!! I have really long hair (middle/lower back) and its more of a fine texture. I am having a baby in a few weeks and want to chop a few inches off for a cute mom-do..probably shoulder length! I am hoping this will give me a little more volume too :) Anyways, you mention how to not let your hair “part” at the crown..do you mean avoiding that natural part that hair can sometimes have, especially when it is long? I have a natural side part and am wondering how I can fix/prevent it… THANKS!! :)

209. Anonymous says

Hi Kate,
    I am hair challenged….both in quantity, quality and knowledge! I can’t wait to give this a try, great job on the tutorial…thank you,,

Thank you for sharing your tips, hair has never been my thing. At 48, I’m finally trying a few new things with the help of others. My cut is similar to your tutorial here but growing out a bit. I need to try to find your product somewhere to give it a try. Also, I tried to subscribe by email, it says;”The feed does not have subscriptions by email enabled”. Thanks again for sharing.

you are basically my hair idol now. I cannot wait to try this! (going right now…) I love all the hair styles you have on your blog, but grew up in a very laid back house so my I never got the girliness from my mom, I am not learning it all at 25!!! EEK!

Thanks again!

212. Anonymous says

Hello Kate :) I’ve got a little bit longer hair than you. For two years I have the idea to cut me a “Bob” like you but I don’t dare to cut me one. Can you recommend it or is it too much work for someone who hasn’t got so much time in the morning? And I have a little bit thin hair. What do you mean?
    Greets, Theresa
    PS: Your blog is really successful :)

Thanks for doing the videos. I found you on Pinterest and you make it look easy. But looks like it takes some time and time is something I don’t have. I have to get my shower at night because of my two babies. If I had the time this hairstyle is what mine is supposed to look like. Is there anything you have that looks nice but for don’t take a lot of time.

214. Anonymous says

Hi Kate.. saw your cute hairstyle on Pinterest.. Thanks for the how-to’s..My question is how to keep the full bouncy look. I am able to follow your video with great results and as soon as I step outside my hair flops. I live in Houston where there is a lot of humidity. Any tips on keeping hair full not flat? Thanks

OMG!! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! I found this on Pinterest. I bought the Aquage and followed your directions as best as I could with my short, VERY Fine hair and it looks amazing!!! Actually looks like I have hair!!!

thank you kate! i like to use magnetic rollers (secured with the duckbill clips) instead of curling by hand. before taking them out i blow dry my hair on low for a few seconds and lightly spray my roots with hairspray. i also use aquage. my hair couldn’t fall if it wanted to! :)

thanks so much, I saw this on pinterest.. I have that bouncy soft look everytime I leave my stylist. It lasts about 2 days, then I wash it & poof back to unruly fine hair… this gives me something to try.

218. Chelsea says

My hair definitely curled… but not under! I have curls going every which way… maybe it’s just my hair type? Any suggestions?

Kate I can’t believe I’ve stumbled across your website. I have very long hair right now, but I will be cutting it and donating it to Locks of Love in the next few weeks! So, I’ve been looking at different short hair cut styles and have found so many on your site! Thanks so much!

220. Anonymous says

I’m soooo happy I just came across this! I have been trying to get my hair to look like this for a couple months, I’ve just been playing around trying different things every now and then and I was doing a lot of the things you do but now I know how to really do it. I’m so excited to try and I realllyyy hope it works with my hair.

221. Anonymous says

Hi! I have been trying very hard to tease my hair but I can not get the hang of it. Your hair seems to do it so easily. Will may hair be “trained” if I keep at it?

I have thin, flat hair that has always gotten greasy fast, so I have pretty much never used conditioner. However, after some pretty serious bleach/dye jobs and almost daily flat-ironing, my ends have become fairly fried. I started loving soaking my ends the SHielo Hydrate Conditioner. When I saw the amazing reviews on the Shielo Hydrate Conditioner, I thought I would give it a shot–wondering if it would be perhaps TOO good (read: heavy, greasy) for my fine hair.

I was happily surprised after my very first use– the conditioner was so thick and creamy and my hair was sooooo soft and shiny and smelled delicious! I absolutely can’t stop running my fingers though my hair after using Shielo Hydrate Conditioner, it’s like silk. Split ends even seem mended! I have literally never noticed as significant a difference on my hair after using any other product. Does NOT weigh my hair down one bit or feel greasy at all, even when I sometimes use it sparingly on my whole head and not just the ends.

SECRET TIP: I even use it on my legs for and amazingly close and moisturizing shave (just be careful because it does turn the shower floor into a slip and slide!)

223. Anonymous says

Hi Kate!! Thank you the tute-it’s going around pt again. Anyways, I’m 52, have ALWAYS had such fine hair that stylists, (especially in the 80′s ;), have thrown their arms up and said “I GIVE UP!!”. Lol, in other words, it’s SO fine, that in the past-even the best root-lifters fell flat. I’m going to go price this “aquage”-hopefully I can get it in a small amount to try it. Although I no longer live in humid North Fl, believe it or not, the Pocono’s have had their share of humidity this year-ANY curl I put in my “just above the shoulders” fine blonde hair-goes flat within an hour. If you have ANY suggestions-let me know!! As soon as I can get some decent root-uplifter-will attempt this style. My flat blonde hair does NOTHING for my high forehead-especially as I get older… Elainemdg at me dot com

I love your blog. I have the same length hair as you do and I am already learning so much. I love the fact that you don’t talk forever while you are giving a tutorial like some girls do. You are indeed very professional! Keep up the great work!

225. Makayla says

I absolutly LOVE your hair! all my life i have had super long curly hair and after seeing your blog i decided i liked the short look so i made the appointment, cutt it and i have never been happier! thanks soo much for the stuff you posted on here! you have inspired me soo much!

I know this is a bit old but I LOVED this hair! i took it to my hair stylist today and showed her this picture and told her that is how I wanted it cut! lol Now I havae short hair and am loving all your fun hair tutorials you have up. I am ready to try them all! Keep them coming!

227. Anonymous says

I just cut off 8 inches of hair after having it long for years. I love our tutorials on how to fix short hair. you are a life saver!!!!

228. Jeannette says

I will be 70 on July 26 and I just wanted to say “You Are Amazing”

Love you hair tutorials

Jeannette

229. Anonymous says

I just bought its a ten volumizing shampoo and regular its a ten conditioner. I have its a ten serum drops, its a ten leave in treament and chi root booster. I’m guessing eliminate something from this equation because my stacked haircut is weighing down and gross. I’m gonna eliminate the serum and spritz s little of the leave in , and focus more on the root booster. I gotta make sure all the shampoo and conditioner is out, so I’ll run it under really cold water to make sure it’s all out. Yay or Nay? Let me know, thanks chick

230. Sara says

I’m so happy to have found this blog! Thank you Pinterest! I tried this ‘do today, my first attempt at one of your tutorials, and received two compliments! That’s two more than I’ve gotten in a LONG time! Thank you for sharing all this info!

231. Brittany says

Hi! I just cut 14 inches off my hair to get this hairstyle. I love your blog so much! I was wondering if I could use jumbo sized hot rollers with this style. I’m not very good with a flat iron.

232. Anonymous says

I have a question for you. I LOVE this look but I’m wondering if you don’t have bangs how you would style the front part of your hair? Mine is very similar to yours except with the longer pieces in the front. Would I just do those pieces the way you did the others?

Thanks for all that you do here. This is embarrassing to say but I feel like I’ve lost all my skills at doing hair. I’m awesome with makeup and can do wonders but I really haven’t been all the way happy with my own hair since the late 90′s lol. I see all these cute styles but could never quite get them right which makes me feel really old and bummed out which is not good because I’m only 33. So now with your help I think I’m finally going to have more cute looks for my hair again. Thanks!

I went to get my hair cut like this today. The girl did a terrible job. It looks nothing like it. Now I’m stuck letting it grow out then I can get it cut again to hopefully look more like it.

234. Anonymous says

Adorable! I am so glad I found your blog! Sometimes I feel so stupid when I am trying to do my hair. In fact I usually pull it back because of that. But now I have options, and step by step guides to help me!! Thank you!!

235. Anonymous says

It’s so nice to see someone actually show us what to do through video. Unlike a hairstylist who will not tell us truly how to do what they do you have! Thanks, your videos are so easy to understand.

I always wondered how some of the easy styles were done, like that half up-do, so easy! Small sections, a few pins, wow wish I would have known this years ago!! I would never have kept getting frustrated and just cutting my hair to three inches short and forgot about trying.

I’ve been growing my hair out for a wedding this past year and I can’t wait for longer hair, but I believe I can now do something more/better with what I have until then!

Thanks for taking your time to post all your videos!

Angie

236. Anonymous says

Thank you, thank you! I am so glad I found your blog through “Duchess of Fork.” I appreciate you sharing your talent. I am a SAHM and have slowly faded away from actually trying to fix my hair. Your tutorials have brightened my day. I can’t wait to try something pretty with my hair again! thanks

237. Karen Ashley says

Just got on pinterest for the first time today and discovered your hairstyle videos. I have really fine, thin hair and really have to work at making it look good. I’m excited to see all your posts but after a few hours need to call it a day!!! I actually think some of these could work in my hair. Thank you!

238. Anonymous says

All your hair styles are SO adorable! I love all of them. I used one of them for my first day of school and loved it the whole day through! I have short hair just about the same length as yours and would have never thought this many hair styles are possible on short hair! Thanks so much for your blog and keep up the creative work! :)

I absolutely love your blog! Your tutorials help so much! I always see these cute hairstyles & up does but don’t know how to do them. I am having fun trying these different styles! Thank you so much for taking your time to do this!

240. Anonymous says

I just found you on Pinterest love your hair! I love using a flat iron but I notice that my hair is starting to break off! I use a heat protector on my hair and my iron on a low setting but still I see break aways in my hair is there anything I can use that wont break my hair of so bad?

241. Anonymous says

hello kate,
    I have a few( ok maybe more) problem when trying to replicate this style. I have SUPER curly hair can can never get it straight with just blow drying it. my hair is cut like yours. shorter in back and longer in front but only by about an inch. everytime i try to flip it under on the bottom it still wants to flip out like a sassy look. how do i get it to tuck under? and i teased my hair just like you did and it didn’t stay teased as soon as i ran my fingers through it to smooth it out it when back flat. how do i keep it teased? i love this hair cut but it just seems like this isn’t a style that my hair can pull off. PLEASE HELP!!

242. Anonymous says

hello, i was wondering if you color your hair because my aunt really likes the color and wanted to know what color is used. Thank you

Just got my hair cut similar to yours–the graduated bob and I love it! I figured I would try this style out first and I love it! You make it so easy to follow your directions. Thanks so much!

244. Anonymous says

I love your tutorials. Where can you get the aquage foam? I have really fine hair and I think this would help. Thank you.

Your hair looks fabulous! How would you describe this cut to a hairdresser? Had it grown out much from it’s original cut? I have just had my hair cut to a shortish bob and don’t much like it. This cut is the perfect length for me.

I am trying to let my bob grow out and love this style. When I try to use my flat iron, it puts creases in my hair. What am I doing wrong? I use aquage on the roots, what should I use on the rest of my hair? Thanks! -Jennifer

I just discovered your blog on Pinterest! OMG! Where have you been all of my life??? My hair reminds me of yours. About the same length right now, although sometimes I wear it much longer. I usually get it cut in the fall to a little above the shoulders, and let it grow during summer so I can pull it up more. And I hate to have my hair look the same every single day. I don’t k now how people can stand that! I am always looking for different ways to style my hair, and people are always telling me I never look the same. I take that as a compliment. I love all of the hairstyles you have on here, and can easily adapt them for my own hair. Thank you thank you thank you!!!

I just cut off all my hair, okay like 5 inches but I have been desperate to find new ways to style it! All of your videos have been a huge help! Your blog is now on my favorites list!(:

249. Anonymous says

Could you please tell me how to get this cut? I would love for my stylist to do this at my next appointment. Thank you!

Kate!! I have this hair length and I have felt lost. I am so excited to see your blog I have spent over two hours watching your tutorials and I am planning on trying them all! Thank you for being so generous. I love it!

Hi!! I stumbled across your tutorial through pintrest!! I tried it the very next day and…WOW!!! SUPER fluffy and light! I got alot if compliments on it, and I’ve been browsing throughout other tutorials as well, you are just adorable :-) thanks for all the tutorials, it makes doing a “hard” style actually do-able!! Looking forward to seeing more. Im officially a be follower :-)

Hi!! I found your tutorial on pintrest; and I just had to try it the next day! And WOW!! TONS of volume and very bouncy. I got alto of compliments on it as well :-) I’ve been browsing through your other tutorials and, you are just adorable! Thanks for all your videos! They really are great for those of us who are ‘lacking’ in ideas or technique!! Im a new follower for sure!!

First i want to say thank you….For such AMAZING TUTORIALS and hair styles!! I absolutely love your videos!!
    My question is: what do you typically keep your straight iron temperature set at? after doing my whole head like you suggest in this vid, i think my fingers are gonna melt off. lol

LOVE this style. I’m working toward this. I’m a stylist and I’m curious as to what type of layers you have with this style. It looks a little like long square layers, but I’m not sure.

I love this style! I took your picture into my hair stylist and had her cut off 14″ a few weeks ago and cut it like yours. I didn’t even realize you had the volume tutorial until now! I’ll be trying this!

I discovered your blog on Pinterest about a week ago in search of a new do. I am your basic working mom that doesn’t have a lot of time for herself. I rarely even wear makeup. I fell in love with your hair above. I took the leap last Friday and saw my stylist. I purchased the Body Full Redken and extreme conditioner also while I was there. LIFECHANGING! The way my hair feels and looks is amazing! I gained such a confidence boost! With your video, I was actually able to style my hair just like I wanted it and achieved it with good time before my two year old was sticking his hands under the door. THANK YOU for sharing your knowledge!

What a helpful post (and blog!). I happened upon your pic online while searching for contemporary bob styles, then I came upon your video. What a delight you are! Thank you very much for sharing!

Hi Kate! I have naturally curly/wavy thick and coarse hair. Just got my hair cut and styled like this and I love it! However, when I try myself to do the “curled under” on the pieces near my face, it tends to “flip outwards” away from my face. Hope that makes sense! :) Any suggestions on how to prevent this?
    Also, I’m looking for a new blow dryer….something that will dry my thick hair quickly. Any suggestions? Thanks for your great tips! Kim

I love teasing and the bouncy hair you showed. I would like to do it but I have really curly hair and my biggest fear is losing my hair. My bangs seem to be thinning out and 22 years old! Do you wash your hair everyday after you do this?

I mostly style my hair like this since I first saw this! :)
    Instead of the flat iron I only blow dry my hair like I always do (in sections) and curl them together and pin them up.
    It’s a great way to style my hair, it helps to get me a bit more volume with my fine hair.

In regards to present day fashion, the fitness world has created a craze of certain items such as gym tank tops and yoga pants that are worn as casual wear by many people on a daily basis, whether they attend a gym or not.
    workout towel

263. Monique Nessour says

On this video you said that you use the GHD flat iron…There are several out there. Is there a particular one that I should be looking at and who has the best prices to purchase one? I am needing another flat iron because mine keeps “pulling” or “frizzing up” my ends and my hair does not want to glide through. HATE IT. So I am going to invest in a really good one.
    Please HELP

264. Monique Nessour says

You had a lady ask you about the “cut” of your hair. Please tell me also so that I can explain to my hair dresser. I quess I am not getting my point across to them even when I bring a pic. I would like to know the cut of your hair before the styling and “poofing”. Love the look..really casual and free…

265. Jeanine says

I have been letting my hair get longer for about the past 8 months, all the while pinning a picture of the hairstyle in this blog. So finally my hair is long enough!! I follow your blogs because I like a lot of the same things you do. When I opened the link on Pinterest to this haircut, I realized it was you, and you were demonstrating how you actually create the style with so much volume! Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge! I go to my hairdresser soon, and hopefully we can create this look.

266. Mariah says

Hi Kate! Love your blog! I’m a hair stylist as well. But I am not very good at styling my own hair

267. Alex says

So I love this hairstyle but my only issue with doing my hair is its really fine so it never holds curls and its not the thickest hair in the world but not super thin either. What would I do differently to hold this hairstyle?

268. Catherine says

What a nice hairstyle! I would cut my hair it myself on this square base. What do you recommend? Have a tutorial haircut to itself that which it would be part? Thank you for your blog really nice and very pleasant. I am from France and I love what you do. See you soon. Catherine

269. Kayli Hope says

Hi! I just wanted to tell you that you are absolutely amazing and the fact that you’re also a Christian warms my heart! I have shoulder lengthed hair just a little longer than yours and when I straighten it it gets really frizzy. I was wondering how you keep yours so smooth. Thanks(:

Hmm is anyone else experiencing problems with the images on this
    blog loading? I’m trying to find out if its a problem on my eend or if it’s the blog.

Anny suggestions would be greatly appreciated.