Olive Green

greenpants-4

necklace, watch, bag

Back in the old days I would take outfit pics once, if not twice, a week. These days? It’s the farthest thing from my mind and also the last thing I want to do. I didn’t want to mess with going outside and asking my husband to take some pics of me so I quickly threw up some of my lights and tripod and got that wireless shutter release in action.

Anyway, the point of this post is not to tell you how terrible I am at taking full body selfies, but instead the pants that revived my thoughts on my style.

I’ve turned into such a jeans and grey shirt girl. And don’t get me wrong, I’m happy! I’m happiest in jeans and a grey shirt. It’s my comfort zone! I’m also happiest in pink lipstick with a coffee in my hand but this list has to end somewhere.

Anyway, I have this thing coming up that I wanted some new clothes for so I wandered over to J.CrewFactory.com of course and there was a model wearing these green cargo skinnies and I thought, “Imma yolo this mess and grab a pair to try on at home“. And so the package arrived, along with a few other choices, and that is when the green pant obsession began.

My only complaint, or warning if you will, is that there is virtually no stretch whatsoever. I’m usually on the floor with the boys so jeans with stretch are an absolute requirement. But these are more for times I’m not on the floor with the boys and I’m excited to have something new!

Here are a few ways I’m planning on wearing them right now, and I’m excited to spring-ify them once the weather warms up a bit.

greenpants-1

Basically any sweater in my closet can be thrown on with ^^ on cold, winter days.

greenpants-2

Save the shoes, that’s a head-toe J.Crew + J.Crew Factory outfit right there. If only I was wearing my signature J.Crew lipstick.

greenpants-3

They really could be paired with absolutely anything I have in my closet, which is why I’m such an advocate for neutrals, but it’s a nice change up from the same old same old.

outfit one: tshirt(Merona brand at Target), pants, bag(also cute), shoes(similar); outfit two: tshirt(similar), jacket, pants, shoes(similar); outfit three: sweater(similar), pants, shoes(similar), bag

Speaking of favorite pants, read about my favorite pair of jeans here.

1. Posted February 10, 2016

I was always a big fan of the olive green cargo Capri pants a while back, maybe 10yrs ago? Ha! Glad to see the color coming back. You look great!

2. Posted February 10, 2016

I love those pants! Olive is such a great color, I used to have the most incredible pair of olive capris, but the got too old and ripped- it was heartbreaking!

Mary Kate

3. grace says
    Posted February 10, 2016

SUCH great pics! and now I’m going to have to copycat — like i always do!!!

4. Amanda says
    Posted February 10, 2016

Great picks! I love this color but never think to buy it for myself. I really love the leopard print flats-something I wouldn’t have thought to do! Thanks for these suggestions!

5. Jamie says
    Posted February 10, 2016

Love olive green, all three outfits are perfection! Neutrals are the best!
    P.S. I have missed your outfit posts. You always gave me outfit inspiration!!!

6. Posted February 10, 2016

Are they true to size?

I think so!

7. Amanda says
    Posted February 10, 2016

Olive is a color that I never wear but have been wanting to try for the last few months. You look great, and now I’m convinced to give it a try!

8. Marsya says
    Posted February 10, 2016

That pants is pretty!!!!! I love that colour so much xo

9. Leigh says
    Posted February 10, 2016

I heard cargo pant and was wondering where you were going, but those pants are such an updated take on their baggy cousins! You look great and so do the pants!

thanks!

10. Page Miller says
    Posted February 10, 2016

I scored some similar green skinnies and I feel the SAME way, love the ways you styled them!

11. Carissa says
    Posted February 10, 2016

Love the pants and that you are trying new things, but size up! A lot of what you wear looks too small.

Posted February 10, 2016

Funny, I feel like I wear loose things all the time. I think sizing up would mean they would be quite baggy and I wanted a fitted pant because I wear looser tops.

• Carissa says
        Posted February 10, 2016

Either way, none of the outfits you styled for this post show them with loose tops.

• Lisa says
      Posted February 10, 2016

You need to size up since it looks like you can barely sit in those.

Posted February 10, 2016

In fact I can sit πŸ™‚ Sometimes how they look in real life versus how they look in photos is different. Either way, this is the right size for me.

• Karissa says
          Posted February 10, 2016

And yet you said you can’t sit on the floor and play with the boys in these pants? I’m confused- which is it? They either fit perfect and you can sit, or they’re too tight and you can’t sit. They are a darling color and I love where you’re going with them, but they appear dreadfully small in photos.

• kat says
            Posted February 10, 2016

Geez, they look like they fit perfectly. Her tops look like they fit well, too. Take it easy.

• Miranda says
            Posted February 10, 2016

I’m interested to know you’re idea of what “fits.” These look like the fit perfectly. Any larger and they would be way too baggy in the knees an ankles. Any smaller and they would be well… too small. Thus, these are the correct size because they fit. And they’re also flattering. Perhaps you’re idea of what would “fit” on you is not the same, but these are definitely the way the pants are supposed to look.

Posted February 10, 2016

Thanks for the support Miranda!

Posted February 10, 2016

Karissa, what I was trying to say is these aren’t the type of pants I would lounge around the house in. They are a bit nicer and more structured than jeans.

Posted February 10, 2016

I think you’ve also made it clear that you think they are too small, which is your opinion and that is your prerogative. At this point, you’ve repeated yourself numerous times about the sizing and it’s beginning to offend me.

• Colleen says
      Posted February 10, 2016

Carissa and Lisa, why don’t you post a picture of yourselves and let us all criticize it. πŸ™‚
      Kate, #stylegoals

• Kathy says
        Posted February 10, 2016

I wish you could “like” comments! πŸ™‚ It’s unbelievable how rude people are, isn’t it.

• Karissa says
          Posted February 10, 2016

It’s not rude to gently suggest to a blogger WHO IS GETTING PAID TO POST THESE PANTS, that they look too small. If they don’t want feedback then don’t post your life on the internet.

• Nancy says
            Posted February 10, 2016

I think that you are confusing posting for inspiration vs posting for critical commentary. She is not posting for critical commentary, I assure you. Nor is anyone going to force you to buy this size if you decided to be inspired by her olive pants stylizing. If you don’t like the fit of these pants as shown, be sure to size up on your own if you purchase them. Bottom line is, if you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say it.

Thanks Nancy!

• Rachael says
            Posted February 10, 2016

Where does it say she’s getting paid to post them?

Posted February 10, 2016

Karissa made that up, this is not a sponsored post. I’m not sure why she’s saying that.

Posted February 10, 2016

Feedback is allowed, making up information that is misleading is not. This was not a sponsored post (I always disclosed when they are) so please discontinue commenting that I was paid to post this. I’m happy to leave your comments up so long as they don’t become aggressive or disrespectful to myself or other readers.

• Justine says
      Posted February 10, 2016

I’m a full time fashion stylist…and she is definitely wearing the correct size. In all of her outfits, everything she is wearing looks to be the correct fit for her.

thanks Justine!

12. Amanda says
    Posted February 10, 2016

If you’re looking for an olive pant with some stretch i recommend the a.n.a. zip pocket twill pants from JCP.

13. Posted February 10, 2016

Your hair is so gorgeous I can’t imagine you looking anything but amazing in any outfit! However, you in the first outfit, in the black shirt, is stunning. My husband looks amazing in black, too. I think it’s the fair skin and light eyes that for some reason just pops when black is put on. Love the pants!

thanks Judy!

14. Sam says
    Posted February 10, 2016

I know skinnies are size tricky, but maybe try one size larger…? I love the color for sure πŸ™‚

• B says
      Posted February 10, 2016

I’m curious to know why you say one size larger? Any bigger and they would be too baggy throughout the thighs and knees. I think she got the right size….

• Mary says
        Posted February 11, 2016

If you look at the waistband area in the first photo she posted, with the black shirt, you can see that they are so tight they give her a muffin top effect. Sizing up would solve the issue.

• B says
          Posted February 11, 2016

pretty sure that’s just the folds of her shirt….. and also, who the heck cares? you’re not the one wearing them…

15. Posted February 10, 2016

Oh those pants are cute!! I love the olive green! =)

16. Elainea says
    Posted February 10, 2016

I do love these pants, they look so great! Thanks for sharing!

elainea
    toast the girl almighty

17. Priscila says
    Posted February 10, 2016

Omg those are some great outfit ideas! Going to my Pinterest board! Lol I recently bought a pair of olive curvy cargo skinny jeans from Ann Taylor, they look very similar to yours, same pocket style the only difference are the metal zippers.

18. Posted February 10, 2016

“imma yolo this mess” I’m dying haha I got a pair of olive moto pants in my TRENDSEND a while back and loved them! You seriously can’t beat that j crew price though! lookin good!

19. Amanda says
    Posted February 10, 2016

Hi Katie! I absolutely love your style and get so many great tips from you. Would you mind sharing where your watches from? I love it and would Love to get one like it!

20. Lindsey says
    Posted February 10, 2016

Yeah!! I have missed your outfit post’s especially now that you are a Mom of two like me, I always love seeing what you wear. Love all three outfits, you look beautiful! The one with the denim jacket is my favorite πŸ™‚

Thanks!

21. Susan says
    Posted February 10, 2016

I just got a really cute pair of green cargo skinnies from loft that I am loving too! Thanks for the outfit ideas! ?

22. Karissa says

Kate,

Target has a Merona olive green cargo vest right now that I love! If you have not seen it already πŸ™‚

23. Lindsay says
    Posted February 10, 2016

I have (and love) two pairs of Gap’s broken-in straight khakis (in olive and navy) β€”Β which are basically skinny khakis. You might give them a try if you’re looking for more green pants! They were my first ever non-navy/black/gray pants and like you I was surprised at how much I loved them and how versatile they were.

24. Angela says
    Posted February 10, 2016

Don’t you love people? Crazies! Love the outfits and of course always the hair!

25. Teri says

You look awesome!!

26. eden says
    Posted February 10, 2016

I have never bought olive green pants before, but I have an olive green winter jacket! I love how neutral this color is and it goes great with everything. I really like how your styled it with the t-shirt and denim jacket.

27. Kelsey says
    Posted February 10, 2016

Why is everyone saying you need to size up? I think they look so cute!

28. Posted February 10, 2016

You’ve got very similar khaki pants to mine and I haven’t even thought of putting some denim together with it, looks great Katie πŸ™‚ And the Fossil bag…ahh just stunning πŸ˜‰

29. Kelly says
    Posted February 10, 2016

Super cute look ideas. I struggle to get out of jeans to but love the olive color choice cause it still feels neutral. I definitely going to check these out, along with that fossil purse!

30. Nancy says
    Posted February 10, 2016

You do not need to size up. People are crazy. You look fabulous and more importantly, you like the way they fit (which is perfect!!). I have two pairs of olive pants, one from Splendid and one from Eddie Bauer. The EB ones have lots of stretch if you are looking for that sort of thing. I understand not wanting to buy multiples of a similar thing though. I fight that all the time. I have two olive pants and I’m still always looking at a third πŸ˜‰

• Mary says
      Posted February 11, 2016

Are you kidding, she definitely needs to size up. The first pic she posted, in the black shirt, you can clearly see that the pants are so tight around the waistband they give her a spare tire roll. If she sized up, that wouldn’t happen.

• Nancy says
        Posted February 11, 2016

I don’t think that you are trying hard enough to make her feel bad about herself, Mary. If you dig a little deeper I’m sure that you can assume a few more things from these photos and really let her know why she looks so awful that you just had to comment.

31. Kathy says
    Posted February 10, 2016

I bought a pair of curvy fit burgundy skinny jeans from Loft recently for $30 on sale and they are also amazing! I treat them like a neutral and am in love with them. Now I’m tempted by olive pants as yours look fantastic!

32. Janie Nye says
    Posted February 10, 2016

I also share a love of olive pants! I love pairing a light pink blazer or shirt with mine.

33. Christina says
    Posted February 10, 2016

You look great!! If you feel great as well, shouldn’t that be all that matters??? ROCK ON KATE!!

34. Posted February 10, 2016

Loved your last option πŸ™‚ Pinned for later.

35. Lauren Brintlinger says
    Posted February 10, 2016

Hi Kate! For one, you look wonderful in these outfits. I, too, get sort of stuck in a rut with clothes. I recently purchased a pair of navy blue Loft pants – and even that’s out of the box for me! For two, just wanted to say I see you did buy that Presten Flap “you had your eye on” for spring. Looks awesome. Good choice!
    Lauren

Posted February 10, 2016

I’m loving it so far! I stalked it online for a few weeks and bit the bullet last week!

36. Jess Glenn says
    Posted February 10, 2016

I think you look amazing and I think the pants look perfect on you! If you feel cute and comfy in them then it doesn’t matter what anyone else thinks!

37. Stacy says
    Posted February 10, 2016

Lookin’ good! Love the outfits.

38. Sarah says
    Posted February 10, 2016

I think that the outfits look great, and I can see you are stepping outside of your comfort zone of jeans + a gray top with these olive pants. I have to admit, when I saw your IG post the other day I immediately went to J Crew Factory online and ordered a pair! I love them. Are you still using Stitch Fix? I only have one child, but going shopping for clothes is not as fun for me as it use to be. So, I re-subscribed to Stitch Fix with boxes every 2-3 weeks and have had much better luck this go around! Loving the content lately, I know kids are our lives, but I much prefer these posts, so thanks for sharing. Also, the straight hair is to die for, I think you should wear it straight more often.

39. Sarah Kristen says
    Posted February 10, 2016

I’m not sure if I missed something, but where did you get your bag in the second photo? I’m assuming it’s not available anymore? πŸ™

Posted February 10, 2016

Oh man, it was at the fossil outlet. Can’t find it online πŸ™

40. Emily Hartung says
    Posted February 10, 2016

You look great! Love the pants. I need to be a bit more outgoing in my fashion choices! Neutrals are such a safe zone but it is good to add some color.

41. Rachel S says

You look great, Kate!

I love my olive green work pants for the same reason – they go with almost anything. For another fun variation, try deep purple pants. They would go with the same black/denim/gray shirt combos you have going on here, and are another great option!

42. Tammy says
    Posted February 10, 2016

You look great Kate! I can’t believe how rude some people can be. Thanks for the fashion inspiration!

Posted February 10, 2016

Sometimes it’s surprising to me as well!

43. bryony says
    Posted February 10, 2016

I love those trousers, I think that dark green goes with most things like jeans do, but they give your outfit that little twist!

44. Shelby says
    Posted February 10, 2016

I absolutely love all of these outfits! I always think you look cute and trendy your outfit posts, especially this one.

Shelby at Gray Handbag Blog

45. Posted February 10, 2016

These pants are so pretty! I love how you have styled them. It’s always nice to have a pair of pants that are a little bit out of your comfort zone to throw into the mix every so often! Great post, x!

Becky, xx /// http://undertheseabeauty.blogspot.ca/

46. Arijana C. says
    Posted February 10, 2016

oh, hello gorgeous! Love the pants, love the last outfit picture.

47. Sarah says
    Posted February 10, 2016

I am absolutely loving these outfits. Each one is a combination that I would not think to put together myself. Especially the one with the jean jacket, how fun! I really admire the way you handle negativity and hope you don’t take any of it to heart as it so clearly has 0 validity. Keep rocking those pants, they look amazing!!

48. cdzam says
    Posted February 10, 2016

Sweet Momma (insert eye roll and a sigh here). I have read your blog for years and never commented, but today I feel compelled to tell you: you are beautiful, the perfect size and shape. It is clear to anyone who reads this blog that you take care of yourself in all regards. You are generous, truthful and open, and the amount of grace you extend to some people is inspiring.

I also know (because we have been friends for years through your blog, but you just didn’t know it – lol) that you do not need to hear from me that you are awesome. You are grounded in your faith, your family and your hubby. Go to sleep tonight knowing you are a light for many my friend.

• Stacy says
      Posted February 11, 2016

Okay – that was the sweetest. I agree, Kate! So much more than just a “beauty” blog, but we know to find genuineness of your life and faith.

49. JJ says
    Posted February 10, 2016

I absolutely love the look in the last pic – the shoes!

50. Lindsay says
    Posted February 10, 2016

I am wearing a new pair of Olive pants today. They are some ankle zip leggings I got from Poppy and Dot on Instagram (welcome to the future, never thought I’d buy clothes on IG) and I love them! I have brown loafers on today but was planning basically the same shoe combos as in your post. You look great!!

51. Stephanie says
    Posted February 10, 2016

I tried those very pants on and they looked terrible on me and I’m feeling really good about my size lately. They look great on u though. I also am caught in a jeans rut. But I did find some great jeans grey jeans and khakis at J.Crew factory that I am in love with! So I understand what you mean about having something new and different to wear.

52. Posted February 10, 2016

Olive green is probably my favourite colour for clothes but I actually don’t have any pants in that shade…I love yours so I may have to change that ASAP. Pretty much all my jackets are olive green though so maybe a full outfit isn’t the best plan.

53. Sarah B says
    Posted February 10, 2016

I’ve been contemplating adding olive skinnies to my wardrobe and you’ve got me convinced! I love the ones you got but they might be a little casual for my workplace – have you come across any slightly dressier similar ones?

54. Andrea says
    Posted February 10, 2016

You look wonderful as always! I have a pair of booties and not sure how to wear/style them. They look so cute here. Do you roll up all the pants that you wear with them? Thanks for the inspiration.

55. Nicole says
    Posted February 10, 2016

I really agree with the posters who think these are a size small for you. The style is adorable, the fit is not. I don’t think most skinnies are baggy by sizing up one size? Just give them a try, I think you would look much better in them and certainly more comfortable. I especially love the simple black t with them.

56. Evelina says
    Posted February 10, 2016

I have a pair of olive cropped pants from old navy and I LOVE them! I usually pair them with white, cream, grey, or black. Basically any neutrals!

57. Posted February 11, 2016

Ah I love the last look with the grey shirt and leopard flats!

58. Kacie M says
    Posted February 11, 2016

I love cargos! I had a pair in high school that I loved, and found something similar at Old Navy years ago that was fun to wear. I like that these have that more structured look to them, and may need to purchase! πŸ™‚ All of the outfits looks so great!

I also love that bag! Had I not got a bag from a Stitch Fix board on Facebook that looks exactly like that (and in yellow)… I may needed to have bought that as a birthday present for myself this year. I love the neutral color! It’s definitely on my wish list, now!

59. Kirsten says
    Posted February 11, 2016

Love the pants! I’m looking for a pair today! Your pants fit just fine and I love the outfits! Some ladies prefer a baggier/bigger fit and that’s fine, just means your fit isn’t for them. Not everyone will agree every time.

Comments are closed.