What To Make for Breakfast When You Have Guests Staying at Your Place

Food is probably one of the things I think about the most when I have people coming to stay with me.

I’ve been places where there either wasn’t enough food around or I didn’t feel comfortable asking to run and get something, and since then I’ve always made sure to have a few snacks and at least something planned for breakfast while I have guests staying with me.

Breakfast has always been a big meal in my family, and when they are visiting it is the slowest, most laid-back time of the day. It’s usually a community effort to get the food on the table with the kids running around and playing, but it’s all worth it when we’re full of delicious breakfast food and ready to take on the day.

A few of my favorite things I’ve had or like to make when guests are visiting are. . .

Joanna Gaines Three Cheese Quiche from the Magnolia Cookbook

Triple Berry Muffins

Buttermilk Blueberry Breakfast Cake

Sweet Vanilla & Thyme Granola w/ Yogurt

Apple Cinnamon Streusel Bread

Florence’s Coffee Cake

Apple Fritters

French Toast Casserole

Buttermilk Pancakes

If I know I’m going to make a sweet, carb-heavy main course for breakfast, I make sure to balance it out with eggs and fruit!

1. Michelle says
    Posted November 25, 2019

I always try to make a breakfast cake or bread ahead of time and leave it on the counter overnight with plates nearby to make sure any early risers feel welcome to help themselves. I especially like this recipe: https://www.thecountrycook.net/blueberry-muffin-cake/

2. Posted November 25, 2019

Great ideas! Can’t go wrong with a casserole – easy to prep and serves a lot of people at the same time! 🙂

3. Lora says
    Posted November 25, 2019

So sweet to share your favorites! I’m going to try a few! I love overnight French Toast and egg casseroles for guests. My SIL always has an oatmeal bar (with other protein offerings). She uses a crockpot recipe to make it easy. 😀

4. Kelly says
    Posted November 25, 2019

My favorite is the Spinach and Cheese Strata from Smitten Kitchen. It’s easy to throw together the night before and doesn’t require anything more than popping it in the oven in the morning. Best of all, your guests will love it.

Posted November 25, 2019

Great recommendation!

5. Shay says
    Posted November 25, 2019

Please check with guests about allergens and auto immune diseases like Celiac before stocking up and cooking. For me, that entire menu would be completely off limits and humiliatingly embarrassing to turn down.

Posted November 25, 2019

I would hope if you are visiting and staying at someone’s home they would think to inquire!

• Shay says
        Posted November 26, 2019

Most people who eat this kind of food have trouble conceptualising what food doesn’t have wheat or gluten. And they buy stuff thinking it’s safe, like, no kidding, croissants and rye bread. Even if you ask me and guarantee me it’s gluten free, I’m not eating your food. It’s not worth the miscarriages, surgeries, and debilitating pain.

When you recommend an all gluten menu, I would think you would think to make a note about your guest’s preferences and needs (allergens, diabetes, etc).

• Megan says
          Posted November 28, 2019

Weird comment. It’s definitely the guests’ responsibility to not eat food if they’re unsure and also alert the hosts of any allergies.

6. Bonnie says
    Posted November 26, 2019

I have wanted to comment on your Hotel Beauty Q&A. It was so refreshing to hear you say that you aren’t concerned about wrinkles! It is easy to say that when you are your age, but I hope you stay of the same mind. Becoming slave to the procedures often leads to looking worse, in my opinion. Now I’m reading on a facebook group I’m in that Botox should begin in 20s or certainly no later than 30s–if so, I’m at least 30 years too late anyway! Anyway, it was a breath of fresh air to hear you say, “I’m not worried about wrinkles.”

7. Janna says
    Posted November 26, 2019

Typically if we have family staying with us for a few days I will make a pretty tray with some baked goods, fruit and some granola bars out so people who aren’t on the same schedule as we are (we have little kids) can enjoy something whenever they want. Often I still will make something else like a quiche but it’s nice to have something lighter available anytime.

8. Christie says
    Posted November 27, 2019

They all look delish! Will have to try some of these recipes!
    When I’m hosting a family with kids or someone pregnant I like to ask if they would like me to have anything on hand before they arrive. Or at least find out their kid’s favorite snacks so far.

9. Susan WILSON says
    Posted November 30, 2019

Hi, Kate! Breakfast is one of my happiest places and I appreciate your focus on it. I wish I had you here in my room sometimes to teach me how to
    make my hair do what I want it to do. Seriously, I do enjoy your blog and tutorials. Hope your children are well and I know you are enjoying the process of training them; give yourself grace when you blow it with them.
    Thanks again for putting your content out there. Susan