How To Avoid (and treat!) Static Electricity in Hair

I wrote a post with a few suggestions for products to use to help avoid or combat static electricity in hair, but I also wanted to share a few techniques you can use if you need a quick fix!

One. Use a wooden comb. Say goodbye to a traditional plastic comb if you are looking to keep static at bay. This comb comes highly reviewed and looks like a solid option!

Two. Use hydrating products or products with oil. The more moisture the better! And don’t skip using conditioner in the shower, either! Sometimes the thought is that silky, conditioned hair may be more staticky but in fact, dry hair ends up being more problematic than not!

Three. The best quick fix on the go is to apply lotion to your hands, rub it in like you would normally, and then rake your hands through your hair. This isn’t an ideal fix but it will certainly work if the static electricity is out of control!

If static electricity in your hair is an ongoing issue, I’d recommend taking a look at your clothing choices, or even the scarves that you wear! Some knit fabrics are more prone to causing static electricity than others. On a similar note, you can also look into spraying Static Guard onto the shoulders or neck area of a sweater you are wearing, or even covering both sides of a scarf before you wear one of those items. Static Guard smells horrible, but it really does the trick to eliminate static electricity.

1. Karen says
    Posted November 11, 2019

The people at Ulta told me to use the living proof de Frizzer spray. It works perfect. I never deal with static anymore.

2. Posted November 11, 2019

It’s crazy humid in Hong Kong even in winter, so I’ve never had this problem here! But I’m travelling to Korea next week, and I know it’s a lot drier there… hopefully these tips will help if my hair gets all annoying! Thanks, Kate, for the tips! 🙂

3. Amanda says
    Posted November 11, 2019

I don’t use dryer sheets for my clothes, but I always have one in my car or purse in the winter. If you rub them on your hair, it instantly takes away the static without worrying about liquids/products leaking on the go. Definitely ordering the wood comb to help prevent it though. Thanks!

4. Taylor says
    Posted November 11, 2019

I keep a dryer sheet in my purse and have been known to run it over my hair on those extra staticy days!

5. Melissa says
    Posted November 11, 2019

Keep a box of dryer sheets in the car or your purse and fix hair as needed! Best solution for the static hair days of winter 🥶

6. Posted November 11, 2019

Ever since we added a humidifier to our furnace the static in my fine hair is almost non-existant!!

Posted November 11, 2019

That’s great to know!

7. Amy says
    Posted November 11, 2019

I carry an unscented Bounce dryer sheet in a ziplock. It works great to eliminate static between my tights and slacks/skirts and sweater as well as work well on my hair!

The downside if you can’t control how much is rubbed onto you, but it also doesn’t stink!!

I also pay attention to the humidity level…in Seattle the rain is usually enough to keep the humidity higher, but inside high rise Office buildings, it can drop low.

8. Megan says
    Posted November 11, 2019

Agree with the dryer sheet strategy! I would add that I’ve had better luck with them if they’ve been through the dryer a couple times. No residue on your hair, plus you don’t smell like laundry detergent!

• Kas says
      Posted November 11, 2019

Set your hairbrush/comb on the dryer sheet. Run the sheet over your head too.

9. Elly says
    Posted November 11, 2019

The Shield from Amika works well too. I often find it at TJ Maxx or Marshalls at a good price.

10. Angela says
    Posted November 11, 2019

Great tips! I used to rub a dryer sheet over my hair quickly to nix the static, although if it has a lot of scent then you end up smelling like the dryer!

BlushandPearls.com

11. Elle says
    Posted November 12, 2019

In the Canadian Prairies winter months, static hair is a BIG problem! I always just spray Static Guard right to my hair! I don’t mind the smell, and it’s the last thing I use on my hair before walking out the door. It doesn’t affect other hair products already used.

12. Lindsey Marek says
    Posted November 12, 2019

That’s so funny! Here in Nebraska during winter, static is unavoidable. Everyone I know uses the dryer sheet method too! Clothes or hair, doesn’t matter!

13. Kari says
    Posted November 14, 2019

Would you also have a recommendation for a round brush to help fight static?

Posted November 15, 2019

You know, I don’t have one off the top of my head. I know there are non-metal options for round brushes and that would be the direction to go. But if you have a round brush that you love I would instead try to find a product or two to help beat the static that way!

14. Patricia says
    Posted November 17, 2019

This is probably horrifying but I spay a split second of static guard on the brush

Posted November 18, 2019

I’ve done that as well!

15. best says
    Posted November 28, 2019

great idea 👍 and this is for u take a look https://amzn.to/2OvuvhY

16. Gayle Gorman says
    Posted November 30, 2019

Smoothing “Downey” fabric sheets over hair works and smells great!

17. Posted December 5, 2019

I still have a guy friend from high school call me “Lotionhead” because it was a constant fix to all my problems. LOL

Kendra B