The Trick to Wearing a Bright Lip

Sponsored by Nordstrom and ShopStyle

Of all the things that I love about summer, the bright lipsticks and fun, punchy clothing colors are two of my favorites. I’m not afraid to wear a bright lip year round, but something about tanned skin and a coral pop of color tells the story of summer to me.

Sometimes, though, it can be hard to know how to coordinate the rest of your makeup with a bright coral lip, so I’m sharing my trick in this post.

The rule I typically follow is this: When wearing a bold red or orange lipstick, SKIP THE BLUSH!

As a blush lover, it took me a minute to really nail this technique down without feeling like my face was “flat”. But truly, the balance of highlighter and bronzer and/or contour is enough to add dimension to your face while the lipstick adds all the color.

Nordstrom is one of my few go-to retailers for beauty and fashion inspiration. Their beauty department is one of my favorites to browse, both online and in-store. There are knowledgeable, easy to talk to Beauty Stylists that can either grab what you came in for or help you discover new products.

For this look, which was inspired by something I’d wear to a summertime wedding, I chose the brightest coral lipstick from Charlotte Tilbury’s Hot Lips Lipstick in the shade “Hot Emily”. It was so fun to wear and is a perfect balance of pigment without being overly drying on the lips.

I added some warmth and color to my face with the MAC Electric Wonder Next to Nothing Bronzing Powder in “Canyon Dreamin”. It’s a very pretty bronze shade that applies beautifully. I always worry that bronzer is going to look blotchy, but this product truly dusted on softly and natural looking.

The highlighter is a newer product to me and I enjoyed wearing it. It’s hard for me to pass on anything by Charlotte Tilbury and the Glowgasm Beauty Light Wand in “Peachgasm” is perfect for summer. Trust me when I say a little goes a long way with these. The peach and pink shades could sort of double up as blush if you like a shimmery blush, but I preferred using it on the tops of my cheekbones as a highlighter.

For amped up lashes, I was excited to use the new Le Volume Révolution De Chanel Extreme Volume Mascara. The wand is a 3D-printed brush that’s designed for the perfect amount of mascara in one stroke. I was able to get a lot of volume and thickness from this mascara, which was the focus of the eye look!

Overall, I thought the makeup look was summery, easy, and perfect for a night out.

Products I Used: NARS Sheer Glow foundation, Charlotte Tilbury Filmstar Bronze & Glow, MAC Pro Longwear Paint Pot in Bare Study, Anastasia Beverly Hills Brow Wiz, Charlotte Tilbury Magic Away Concealer, Le Volume Révolution De Chanel Extreme Volume Mascara, Charlotte Tilbury’s Hot Lips Lipstick, Glowgasm Beauty Light Wand in Peachgasm, Urban Decay 24/7 Glide-On Eye Pencil in Demolition, NARS Ashes to Ashes eyeshadow

Nordstrom offers some of the best customer service out there and that includes their Beauty Department as well! When you shop in-store, you can receive free makeup lessons and consultations from their team of beauty experts, or even attend in-store events like master classes. If shopping online, Nordstrom offers a ton of free Gifts With Purchase options to choose from giving you the chance to sample great products from top brands.

This post was sponsored by Nordstrom.

1. Posted June 25, 2019

I love the lip colour you have on! It suits you so well, Kate. 🙂

2. Kate says
    Posted June 25, 2019

Thanks for all the tips! You are so gorgeous!!!

-Kate

3. Basha Beach says
    Posted June 25, 2019

Gorgeous, as always! Can you please post info about the top(or dress) you are wearing? Thank you!

4. Li says
    Posted June 25, 2019

This is a beautiful color. I think it’ll pick it. I love when a lipstick name gives a nod to something in your daily life. 😉
    I like to pick names that revolve around Spain.

5. Liz says
    Posted June 25, 2019

This is a beautiful color. I think it’ll pick it up. I love when a lipstick name gives a nod to something in your daily life. 😉
    I like to pick names that revolve around Spain.

6. Marta says
    Posted June 25, 2019

I had never thought of that but now I’m definitely gonna try your tip of not wearing blush, I think it’s gonna turn out amazing, like yours did.

7. Priscilla says
    Posted June 25, 2019

I know this one was an Ad for Nordstrom, but would love to see more budget friendly lip colors in a similar shade?? I love this color on other people, and would love to try a birght coral, but not willing to spend a lot of money on something I’m sure I wouldn’t wear often enough to justify it. Thanks!

8. Caitlin says
    Posted June 25, 2019

In the photos did you wear the Mac bronzer or the Charlotte Tilbury bronze and glow?

9. Elisabeth Hayes says
    Posted June 25, 2019

This is such a great guide! I love that shade of lipstick too 🙂

xo, Elisabeth

10. A says
    Posted June 25, 2019

Beautiful lip colour. I couldn’t help but notice your nails. Do you mind sharing the polish brand?

11. Elizabeth says
    Posted June 25, 2019

Love this look! But what is that nail color?! Love!

• Meagan says
      Posted June 28, 2019

Same! I’m here for the nail polish info!

12. maggie says
    Posted June 25, 2019

love this look and especially your hair! do you have a tutorial for your waves for this look in a previous hair post?

13. Lupe says

Such a beautiful color!!

14. Melanie says
    Posted June 25, 2019

Hey! thank you for showing us glamorous yet practical makeup techniques!!

15. Beth says
    Posted June 25, 2019

I love those tips! Thank you, Kate. Also, I love the ring you are wearing on your right hand! Would you be willing to share where you purchased it and what the name of it is? I would really appreciate it, if possible.

16. Jenny says
    Posted June 26, 2019

I love this look! I don’t suit orange toned lip colours but will look for a bold cool pink.

17. Zoë says
    Posted June 26, 2019

That coral lip colour is just gorgeous!! This was SUPER helpful for me, as I own a lot of coral lips without knowing how to do the rest of my makeup! It always looks too overdone! Im definitely going to try skipping the blush and using neutral tones throughout the rest of my look!! xx

18. erika says
    Posted June 26, 2019

Wow that color is GORGEOUS on you! 😍 I’m still trying to find my perfect pop of color lipstick, but it’s hard when I only wear nudes lol. Also, that tip with only wearing bronzer and highlighter is SUPER helpful. Thank you!

Erika Marie | https://imerikamarie.com

19. Posted June 28, 2019

This is great, I’ve always wondered how to use my britches lipsticks with my tan. Thanks!

20. Susie marino says
    Posted June 29, 2019

Were all your colors chosen based on your skin tone, or is there anything on your list that is for all tones?

21. Posted July 24, 2019

Thanks for your sharing!I also have used NARS Sheer Glow foundation.It’s quite useful.