My Health Journey & How I’m Losing Weight

There is so much context necessary for a post like this and I hope if you’ve been following along for awhile that you know me a bit so you can understand all that I’m going to say.

Let me begin by stating my true, honest to my core feeling about body image, weight, and self esteem.

The number on the scale is how much you weigh. It doesn’t represent how pretty you are, how fun you are, how many friends you have, how cool you feel, etc. It measures the weight of your body. Not your soul, not your personality, not your identity.

The number matters for health reasons. Beyond that, it’s just a number.

My parents raised me with a healthy body image. I’ll reference my mom a bit more here simply because she played a larger role in my self-esteem as a woman! I never heard her say mean things about her body. There were things she didn’t like, but it was very much a casual, “in passing” kind of tone when it came up. I remember her telling me that my weight would likely fluctuate throughout my life in a very matter of fact, kind way. I agreed with her and that was pretty much the only comment about my weight that I can even remember.

When I went to college I gained the typical freshman 15. Then I lost all of it and some when I transferred to the university in NC in 2006. I was down to a size 2! I truly don’t remember how I lost that weight, but I know part of it was busyness and being full to the brim in love with my new boyfriend Justin.

Justin and I both gained a bit of weight during the first year of marriage, which is affectionally called “the happy weight”. But he promptly lost it by doing P90x and I lost mine by training for a Spring Triathlon that he and I both completed in 2012.

I was in the best shape of my life, very healthy, and felt really great about treating my body well during that season.

I got pregnant with David in 2013 and gained about 40 pounds during the pregnancy. I lost all but 10 pounds by the time David was 6 months old, but I was already pregnant with Luke at that time! I gained another 40, perhaps a bit more, during Luke’s pregnancy as well.

The first year of two babies 14 months apart was tough. I would do it again in a heartbeat but it was a lot to manage in the day to day! I swiftly put myself and my health at the bottom of the list and was totally fine with that. I lost weight, but had a nagging 15 pounds or so that clung on.

When Luke was a bit older I started going to bootcamp and pretty swiftly lost 10 pounds of leftover baby weight. I felt great. I was finally working out regularly again and felt strong and healthy. I was proud of myself and happy to see the results on my body.

I got pregnant with Emily while I was regularly attending bootcamp but decided to stop fairly early on in the pregnancy for a few reasons. I was very sick and tired during the first trimester and I wanted to find low impact work outs to do during the pregnancy.

I did work out some, but not nearly to the degree I did while I was pregnant with David or Luke.

I gained over 40 pounds with Emily’s pregnancy. I lost 20 in the few months after she was born but I still had 20 extra hanging on that I could lose.

And during all of 2018, I wasn’t really trying to lose those 20 pounds. I was very intently focused on breastfeeding, working, managing 3 children, and general day to day life. Sometimes I would feel uncomfortable in my skin, but mostly I didn’t have time to think about it and I knew that I would be able to lose the weight when I *tried* and was ready.

I finally got to a point where I was feeling ready to change my lifestyle a bit to accommodate different eating and implement daily working out in December of 2018. I rejoined the bootcamp I attend at the beginning of the month. I knew it was going to be tough to get there but I tried my best and probably attended a class a total of 8 times that month.

But you know what? It was better than nothing!

A conversation I had had with my mom popped into my head in December as well. She said that she had a great experience doing Jenny Craig when she was losing baby weight after having my sister Lauren. I googled it and decided to pursue it at the start of 2019.

Jenny Craig is a meal plan that consists of mapped out meals and eating based on pre-portioned mostly frozen food. You have a coach, weekly meetings with weigh ins, and have as much or as little support from Jenny Craig as you desire.

I felt a little sheepish talking to Justin about it but he was extremely supportive (as always) and that helped me decide to do it.

I went to my first meeting on January 2nd of this year. It was humbling and I was nervous walking into the building, but I left feeling so happy about finally take the first step in adjusting my eating in order to lose weight.

I knew in order to be successful I needed to stick to the program as closely as possible, but also accept that there would be times I’d be out to dinner, or at a friends’ home for a meal, and would need to simply make wise choices on my own. I also knew I needed to be going to bootcamp 4-5 times a week, which I was able to do!

I was dedicated and consistent all through January. It was not difficult to lose 10 pounds and I was so thrilled to see some baby weight lost and also learn a few things about my eating habits. Things like portion sizing, carb to vegetable ratio, and how satiated I could be after a well thought out meal instead of a “scrounge through the kitchen looking for something” meal were good lessons for me.

February and the beginning of March got a little crazy between work, travel, sick kids, etc. I pretty much got completely off track, though I didn’t gain any of the weight back. I started the program back up again last week and had actually lost a few extra pounds from my last weigh in.

For my personality, Jenny Craig really made it easy. There are so many diet options that are trendy, with new ideas popping up almost every day. I thought through a lot of those (like Keto, Whole30, Paleo, etc) but ultimately I knew I needed something that was sustainable for a long time and still contained normal foods that I was used to eating (like dairy & gluten).

Having all the food decisions (except for snacks) made for me and knowing all the food was in my freezer or cupboard helped me from derailing and coming up with my own meals. I had to make EXTRA effort to AVOID the diet, if that makes sense.

I’ve got a personal goal set that I feel will be challenging but I think I can do it. Justin has been endlessly supportive and encouraging, and I even talked a few of my friends into doing it with me so it’s fun to have some camaraderie now! I’m trying my hardest to get to bootcamp 4-5 times a week and sticking to the eating program as closely as possible.

I’d love to answer any questions you may have about it, and perhaps a follow up post may be the best way to do that, but I also want to wrap this post up with a final thought. I can completely see that frozen meals versus fresh, farm to table organic food may not be the absolute tip top of pure healthy options HOWEVER, for my lifestyle, my time, my daily activities and what I needed to get this journey in motion, Jenny Craig worked for me.

1. Christine Spring says
    Posted March 25, 2019

That is great that you found a plan that works for your life!

thanks! me too!

2. Lauren says
    Posted March 25, 2019

You look great! Good job, it’s definitely hard work. I’ve been losing weight since January. I don’t weigh myself so I don’t know how much but I’m in a skirt size I haven’t seen in like 10 years lol. Thanks for sharing! Keep up the good work!

3. Amy says
    Posted March 25, 2019

I just love reading your blog and gleaning from your tips and thoughts you share! I’m so glad you’ve found something you love and that you are able to make progress! Keep us posted on your journey.

4. Kellie says

YGG! So proud of you!!
    I definitely agree with you on the whole body image thing! Weight is just a number and its really more about how you feel in your clothes, and how you perceive yourself daily. Wake up feeling beautiful, because you seriously are!!
    Been on my own weight loss journey since November, and I’ve lost 15lbs!! 10 of which I lost from really just cutting back on sweets, and lowering my carb count and adding more protein to my diet. I recently started the Fit with Mari home guide, which is like strength training for arms, legs and abs and I also walk my dog 1.5 miles 4-5 times weekly! I was feeling amazing!!
    Strained my trapezius and it really took a toll on me, I’ve had to take a couple weeks off, but I’ve learned the art of stretching after working out and actually taking time to relax the body post workout. It’s all a journey! but keep it up Kate!! 2019 the year to take control of healthy eating habits and more active lifestyles, I love it!!

Great job!

• Angie says
      Posted March 25, 2019

I have been following Kate for a long time and that comment couldn’t be more inaccurate. She is about as down to earth as they come.

Keep up the good work Kate and thank you for sharing your journey. I find you to be a wonderful role model of a Christian women and mother.

5. Trinity says
    Posted March 25, 2019

Thanks for always pointing us back to the important things in life, vanity and materialism.

• Melanie says
      Posted March 25, 2019

If you don’t have anything nice to say…

I’m going to take my own advice and leave it at that. Thanks for sharing what’s working for you, and inspiring others to take the steps to be healthier Kate!

Posted March 25, 2019

Genuinely curious about what materialism promotion you gathered from this blog post. . .?
      If you think health and fitness for the betterment of our mind and bodies is vanity then we’ll have to agree to disagree there.

• School RN Mommy Robyn says
        Posted March 26, 2019

Kate you are always so kind and so gracious when people are just plain rude and mean. I adore you, have loved following you for years and your down to earth, fun personality are so refreshing! My kids are 13
        Months apart and I originally came for the hair, but as You’ve become a mom I’ve loved how the blog has shifted to add all that day to day mom life content! I’ll always be a fan of you and the small things blog.

• Kristen says
      Posted March 25, 2019

Where are you getting that from? We have to take care of ourselves. There is nothing vain or materialistic about that or in Kate’s post. Happy you have found something that works for you, Kate. I did JC many years ago and had great success.

Posted March 25, 2019

Thanks for the kindness Kristen!

• Allison says

Girl, bye 👋🏻

6. Tanya S says
    Posted March 25, 2019

Wow good for you!! Just goes to show that if one puts their mind to something (any diet really) it can be done!
    And I whole heartedly agree about the number on the scale. It truly doesn’t define us. It’s a number, and while it does play a role in our health, we shouldn’t revolve our life around it. I could be 130lbs and thin and not healthy or muscular, or I can be 145lbs with a healthy strong defined body!

7. Michelle says
    Posted March 25, 2019

This is such a great post! I love your ending sentence, you are so right! You are so inspiring to Moms and women everywhere! Something is better than nothing! Great job on your journey!

• Bmore Fit says
      Posted March 25, 2019

Does one have to do the weigh ins? That is a trigger for me and I go overboard on disordered eating and only concentrate on that number. I haven’t been on a scale in years- sets me up for obsessive behavior.

Posted March 25, 2019

Yes at the weekly meetings there are weigh ins!

8. Melissa says
    Posted March 25, 2019

I think this is great. Honestly, as long as you lose the weight in a healthy way (not starving yourself etc), you are winning. I truely believe you should do whatever program is most sustainable for you. I’m currently counting calories.
    Some people hate this method because it could possibly lead to disordered eating. But for me it’s just a way keep portion sizes in check. Do what works for you and don’t let perfect be the enemy of good.

Posted March 25, 2019

It’s really about what works for you!

9. Vicky says
    Posted March 25, 2019

In my 30s I did Jenny Craig and loved it. I would do it today if I had a center in my area. I did try the over the phone and receiving the food in the mail, but it didn’t work for me. I need that face to face meeting.

10. Erin says
    Posted March 25, 2019

Thank you for sharing your story! I am a new mom (9 days in!) to a sweet baby boy and this has been something that’s started to creep into my mind. I love your outlook on weight and hope to portray a healthy, strong, well balanced body image to my son, rather than a mom who is always restricting herself or doesn’t participate because of my own body image issues.

11. Rena says
    Posted March 25, 2019

I think the main thing is that Jenny Craig works for you!
    xx from Bavaria/Germany, Rena

12. Kates a Liar says

#ad ?

Posted March 25, 2019

Cute name. No this is not an ad. Ads are always clearly marked in every blog post or social post with a disclosure.

• Rachel says
        Posted March 25, 2019

Gosh people have issues. Good for you for doing what works! Best wishes on your health journey

• Julie Fluegel says
        Posted March 25, 2019

Do not waste a moment of your precious time replying to these nasty comments. These people have issues and sadly nothing you say will change that. LOVE this post by the way! Keep doing you!

• Chasity says
      Posted March 25, 2019

It’s so weird to me that people take time to be rude on here? If you don’t like a certain blogger why do you read their posts?

• Posted March 25, 2019

oh my goodness SERIOUSLY?! Why would you put that name? Ridiculous

• Posted March 27, 2019

You totally suck as a human! You are a troll, go away and leave the people that want to be here alone. Kate, I know you don’t need me to run interference! It’s just that I have seen this person write some really distasteful things and it makes me really angry.

13. Laura says
    Posted March 25, 2019

I suppose dinner is the only meal where you have to spend some time making food for the rest of your family while you would eat your frozen meal?

14. Ally says
    Posted March 25, 2019

How do the meals taste? Have you found it difficult to sustain eating the meals they provide while still having to cook for your family? What are the plans on Jenny Craig after you meet your goals? In other words, do you go back to just eating your own foods?

Posted March 25, 2019

Some are really good, some are not so good. The ones I really don’t like I just don’t repurchase at the next meeting. I’ll quit doing it after I meet my goals, yep!

15. Posted March 25, 2019

Loved this post (especially your final thoughts). So often, we aim for “the perfect plan” “the most healthy” and we miss the good option that could get us started. I really enjoyed this!

16. Jessica says
    Posted March 25, 2019

Good for you!! not everything works for everyone and to find something that suits you is awesome! I did (and still doing) the portion containers from 21 days fix and workouts after baby and its nice to have a group of people to talk to and do the journey with. One of the things that i keep in my head is that a large portion of your progress is made in the kitchen! Good food choices can be hard at time but you always feel better after the healthy choice vs. the bad choice (although ice cream is yummy haha) Keep up the good work

17. Kaitlyn says
    Posted March 25, 2019

I have been looking for something new to try to loose my baby weight as well! Do you get to pick your meals and then they are sent to you frozen or how does that work? How many times a day do you eat?

Posted March 25, 2019

You are assigned a meal plan and buy the food at the center or have it shipped. You can opt out of some foods too. I eat 3 meals a day with 2 snacks.

18. Joanna says
    Posted March 25, 2019

Jenny helped me lose 80lbs after my first pregnancy.

I did it again with my 3rd pregnancy(gained 70lbs) and it helped me lose around 30lbs. I switched to Paleo and the rest fell off! True believer in Jenny! I actually got so hooked on it I lost to much weight and my husband made me stop (true story!) I will say that getting off the processed food of Jenny and switching to REAL foods on Paleo/whole30 was amazing! But weightloss and lifestyle eating are two different things for me! Jenny is so easy for a busy mom! Good luck!

Dang girl! good job!

19. Another K8 says
    Posted March 25, 2019

Thank you for sharing your story with your mom. My mom, while beautiful and healthy, struggled with herself over body image and eating issues my entire childhood (and continues to struggle). It had a pretty negative effect on me until one day in my early 20s, I just decided to like and appreciate my body as is. While I have bad days and moments (don’t we all!), it has made a world of difference by being at peace with my body. Since having kids, I’ve decided to take on the same philosophy as your mom. I’m happy to know it works!

20. Alysha linder says
    Posted March 25, 2019

So wonderful to hear your success! Do you feel that doing Jenny Craig while breastfeeding would not be enough calories? I also worry bout my supply taking a hit!

Posted March 25, 2019

They assess your lifestyle and can find a calorie amount that works for breastfeeding!

21. Stephanie Bryan says
    Posted March 25, 2019

Different plans work for different people! You found what works for you and that’s what matters! Congratulations and good luck!

22. Sarah O says
    Posted March 25, 2019

Thank you for sharing for journey! Glad it’s working for you. I love your attitude about it all.

23. Kate says
    Posted March 25, 2019

Awe I am so happy for you! It is so good to hear that you finally found something that works for you! Whenever my mom was trying to lose weight we participated in the Whole30 together. It was very hard but totally worth it. I learned so many things about my body! Thanks for sharing, hope you are having a great day!

-Kate

24. Katie says
    Posted March 25, 2019

Wonderful post! I love hearing your thoughts on things, you have such a great outlook on things, it’s refreshing.
    How did you decide on Jenny Craig? Was it just the remembered conversation with your mom. I think I need a more structured meal plan. I can get workouts 3-4 a week done but the eating is where things get away from me. I will be interested in hearing what you decided not to do and why.

Posted March 25, 2019

Yes I wanted someone else to do the thinking and prepping for me, and Jenny Craig did that!

25. Becky says
    Posted March 25, 2019

Way to go!!! I am on a similar journey of figuring out what is long term sustainable and it is tricky!! You are always beautiful and I’m glad you find something that is a good fit for your health!

26. Cassie says
    Posted March 25, 2019

This is great! I have an 8 month old son and just started Nutrisystem to try to lose the last bit of baby weight! What is your advice on fixing healthy meals for your family when you are having a frozen Jenny Craig meal for dinner? That is where I have been struggling the most!

27. Michelle says

Is this sponsored?

Posted March 25, 2019

No. Sponsored posts are always labeled.

• Michelle says
        Posted March 25, 2019

Thanks for clarifying! Good for you on your weight loss and healthier lifestyle.

28. Shay says
    Posted March 25, 2019

I’m so glad I opened this! I’ve been struggling with my weight (no baby weight or anything) just not exercising enough or having a good motivator and cooking for one is hard! I’m starting Jenny Craig on Thursday and I’ve been keeping it a secret because I just felt sort of embarrassed by it but seeing this post makes me feel like I’m not alone. I’ve done it before and I think the food is actually good and for a single person it’s perfect or having to know what to cook. I’m also starting bootcamp with my friend this week. I know having her go with me will help. Anyways, all of that is basically to say thank you for being so honest and open with your followers!

Posted March 25, 2019

Good for you! Glad to encourage you!

29. Marta says
    Posted March 25, 2019

I’m happy you’re motivated to feel better about your body. I never had issues with my weight but I do wish I was a bit more fit and had more muscle and strength. You’ve definitely motivated me to do something about it, if someone with a busy schedule can do it, someone with nothing to do all day can definitely do it haha

30. Linda says
    Posted March 25, 2019

Thank you !!!! Would love to hear how you manage cooking and food for your little ones while your doing this – next post ?

31. Alycia says
    Posted March 25, 2019

Thank you for this post! My body clung to an extra 15 lbs or so after my second pregnancy and same as you, with work and kids and life I put myself very last. This January I made the decision to start putting my health as a priority again and started Weight Watchers! Never having dieted in my life, it was a great way to change my food mindset and think about what i’m putting in my body. I’m so happy for you as I know how good it feels and that extends to your kids and every other facet of your life 🙂 Congrats!

32. Nichole says
    Posted March 25, 2019

Did you do have any advice about working out while breastfeeding? I would love to start some type of work regimen but I scared to have a dip in milk production.

Posted March 25, 2019

It’s really important to make sure you are getting all the calories in + drinking tons of water!

33. Amy says
    Posted March 25, 2019

I grew up hearing comments like “she’s really pretty, it’s a shame she’s overweight”. I’ve always been self-conscious about my weight but not significantly overweight. Thanks for pointing out that weight really is only a number. Health is what’s ultimately important.

Posted March 25, 2019

Yes health is the most important!

34. Maura says
    Posted March 25, 2019

Wow. You have no idea how helpful this was…I could just cry! So many things that you said I can relate to. I loved loved the first part about the number on the scale…soooo true!!! But I’ve been thinking of doing Optavia which is an off shoot of Medifast! I’ve been nervous about the longevity of it as I’ve fluctuated in weight my whole life. But now am at my highest…even though I work out and watch (somewhat) what I eat…it’s not like I’m going whole hog or anything but obviously need to change up some things! Anyway, I say all that to say that this post kind of tipped the scales for me towards going ahead and trying the Optavia! Thank you!

35. Keera says
    Posted March 25, 2019

I’ve been thinking about doing Kettlebell Kitchen. How hard is it to eat the frozen meals when the rest of your fam is eating other things? I think that would be difficult for me.

Posted March 25, 2019

For me it isn’t hard because I know it’s temporary !

36. Katharine says
    Posted March 25, 2019

I’m curious why you haven’t mentioned Jenny Craig in your stories before this post…and what about those meal kit meals?

Posted March 25, 2019

I wanted to give a good long try before I talked about it. I’m still doing Home Chef and just skip jenny craig meals the nights I do home chef –it’s such a treat!

37. KATELYN COCHRAN says
    Posted March 25, 2019

Could you give some sort of price range? Do you cook a separate meal for the rest of your family?

38. Nicole says
    Posted March 25, 2019

I’m happy that this program is working for you! I’ve been overweight my whole life and it’s taken a lot of time to detach worth from weight. I have a tendency to go all in or not want to do it at all. This January, I found a trainer and I made a committment to myself that I would go to her once a week until it became a habit. I am happy to say I haven’t missed one session yet! I feel stronger, and it motivates me to work out on my own because the training is expensive and I don’t want it all to be for nothing. I’m watching my calories as well, and although there are definitely days where I go way over, I think they are fewer than the days that I don’t. I still haven’t weighed myself, though, because I don’t want it to discourage me. I’m trying to take measurements and pictures and go by how my clothes feel, because as you said, I’m weight is just a number!

39. Megan Miller says
    Posted March 25, 2019

Kelly at @nothankstocake is also doing the Jenny Craig thing and has for years. She’s gotten really creative with “sprucing” up or volumizing JC meals and creating mini-recipes with JC food. I’m sure you don’t have a ton of time but following her or checking out her blog may be worth a scroll.

40. Heather says
    Posted March 25, 2019

Genuinely curious if you have a plan for after your goals are met on JC? This is the area where people stuggle, when you go ‘back to normal’.

Posted March 25, 2019

I wouldn’t say I have a plan, just following similar portions and types of food!

41. Krystal says
    Posted March 25, 2019

I’ve never commented on your blog posts before, just on Instagram and I happened to read a few comments before posting my own. Gosh, I’m really sorry part of your job includes reading horrible things. I can’t imagine saying some of these things to someone! Anyway, onto my comment…

I love that you’ve shared what works for you! Everyone is so different and none of us are one size fits all. Diet and exercise choices are just one example of that.

I ended up having gastric bypass last year. I’ve heard plenty of comments myself about me trying to take a shortcut or the easy way out (none of which is true), but I always go back to “it was the right choice for me and my life. It will not be the right choice for everyone.”

I did Jenny Craig for a while a few years ago and enjoyed parts of it, but ultimately, I’m a foodie who enjoys cooking my own meals. I wish you nothing but the best on your journey!

Posted March 25, 2019

Good for you for realizing that what may be right for you, may not be right for something else. I agree with that sentiment. I think the people that lash out at me are dealing with something they are un comfortable with and need an outlet. Who knows!
      Thanks for the support and kindness.

42. Heather says
    Posted March 25, 2019

Whatever works for you is the best! I meal prep and that works for my journey and I get side eyed from people but it’s not about them so you do you!!! I lost all my baby weight w/ my first after she turned one so I try not to worry or get down on myself w/ my 9 mo. Great work,mama!!

43. milo says
    Posted March 25, 2019

Thanks for sharing what’s working for you in case it works for one of us too! I hope it keeps working and you’re able to accomplish everything you want to! Way to be brave about this!

44. Posted March 25, 2019

Kate – I have been following you for YEARS, and buy the products you recommend, follow your tutorials, etc. And, I love that you’re loving the Jenny Craig program! I too have been really successful with them, and find their food to be delicious and their program to be very easy to follow! Because you help me (with my dark circles, hair products, and keeping me gorgeous in general!), sharing a link to the Jenny Craig recipes I’ve shared on my site — great ways to spice up their meals, if you’re interested. https://www.nothankstocake.com/category/volumizing/

Best of luck to you! Again, totally fan-girling over here, but had to say hello.

Thank you!

45. Ally Greer says
    Posted March 25, 2019

So uplifting and inspiring. I’m a mom of three (4yr, 3yr and 14 months) and pregnancy weight has always been something I’ve struggled with. Thank you for sharing your experience!

46. Britni says
    Posted March 25, 2019

Having had a baby 5 months ago and summer right around the corner this was just the encouragement I needed! Ready to start fueling my body with the essentials I need to be the best mom I can be to my 3 sweet girls!! Thank you so much for all your encouraging posts. It can’t be easy to let the internet world into your life, but I know this momma really appreciates it!

Posted March 25, 2019

Thanks that does mean a lot!

47. Carissa says
    Posted March 25, 2019

Oh my gosh. That third paragraph. Love. Love. Love. Showing my daughter right now. We ALL needed that said. Thank you Kate

48. Posted March 25, 2019

I have followed your blog for several years now and I noticed how you never talked down about your body. I really admire that about you – it seems like women are conditioned to be self-deprecating about their body regardless of their size and you modeled positive body image by simply being positive. This is a great post and I appreciate so much that you are a beauty blog that supports women being our best selves (and I don’t mean best looking).

49. Donna says
    Posted March 25, 2019

Thank you for sharing your journey. I’m interested in the program. What are your thoughts on the taste of the food?

Posted March 25, 2019

Most is good, some is bad but I just skip those if they are on my meal plan for an upcoming week.

50. Heidi says
    Posted March 25, 2019

Is it in Canada? How much does it cost?

Posted March 25, 2019

You’d have to look it up in your country, I’m not sure.

51. Steph says
    Posted March 25, 2019

Kate I think it’s great that you found something you like but when it all comes down to it nothing about your weight determines actual health. Jenny Craig is probably great and extremely expensive! These companies are just getting your money. Losing weight shouldn’t be a yo-yo. Lose then gain and lose then gain. It’s a cycle.
    Eat when you’re hungry stop when you’re full. Listen to your body! Think of your kids they TELL you when they’re hungry. Try to do that—think like a baby or 3 year old. We put so much pressure on ourselves to be a certain way and not it’s necessary and not healthy! Chances are you’ll lose weight on Jenny Craig but then you’ll gain it all back! And then you’ll feel discouraged.
    If you are mindful about eating that will take you so much farther. It’s basic nutrition. Follow your body! Say no to fad diets!
    From a nurse

Posted March 25, 2019

Hi Steph, I think you may have missed the point of my entire post. This isn’t a long term option for me, but it works for my busy life right now. I stated that it may not work for others but it works for me right now. I don’t think I will “gain it all back” like you accused since I’m learning about hunger, portions, and better nutrition.

• KT says
      Posted March 26, 2019

Her weight gain seems to come strictly from pregnancy, not from overeating or bad habits. Also, Jenny Craig isn’t a fad diet, it’s a lifestyle course that teaches you the practical tools of portion control, nutrition, etc.

52. Sara says
    Posted March 25, 2019

Kate – Glad this is working for you but I am confused by this diet choice. Do you think JC is a healthy, sustainable lifestyle change? It is frozen, processed meals. There are so many plans that focus on sustainable habits and healthy, whole ingredients that the whole family can benefit from – why not choose something like that? I am genuinely curious.

Posted March 25, 2019

I preemptively answered this already through writing the post and specifically the last paragraph. thanks!

• Jen A. says
        Posted March 26, 2019

I echo Sara’s (well worded and thoughtful) question, and don’t understand the seemingly defensive response, especially after you wrote, “I’d love to answer any questions that you may have about it…”.

Processed meals are quick and convenient, but for the long-term, some meal prep may make it easier for feeding both yourself and your family, plus you are getting healthier options. For example, Lean Green Bean, has a whole food prep series and so many ideas that have helped me and my family. She also has three children, so making the time is definitely possible if it’s an important priority for you! Just a suggestion since you mentioned that this is temporary for you. Best of luck!

53. Sarah S says
    Posted March 25, 2019

How does the Jenny Craig program work with your home chef meals?

Posted March 25, 2019

We do home chef twice a month and the nights we have home chef, I eat that! Dinner is the meal I’m most flexible about so I can still enjoy things I love every once in awhile + with a better understanding of portions.

54. Cassie says
    Posted March 25, 2019

Good for you. I love your opening sentiments.
    I’d love a followup here or in stories about how you do JC and then feed your family? That’s sounds judgemental but it’s not …. I’m just curious about how to make it work with the busyness of life and work.

Posted March 25, 2019

Justin is pretty much on his own for dinner. He’ll do leftovers and order take out. He’s pretty simple when it comes to food! And I make the boys dinner in the evening, something simple as well — chicken, string cheese, carrots, fruit, etc. They are pretty easy to feed as well!

• katy says
        Posted March 29, 2019

those food options for your kids sound healthy. As you transition back I (supportingly) suggest you to give your kids the same meal you and Justin would eat. Since our boys were 3 or so we have all eaten the same meal for dinner. It is glorious to cook 1 meal for dinner! It is even better when they ask for more vegetables or say “I like our recipe better” when we eat out. I love to cook, so it works for our family. But at least 5 nights a week we sit down for dinner and we all share the same meal. They are 8 and 9 now and ask for their favorites- things I would never expect. 100% supportive of doing what works for each mom/ family. good luck on your journey – you look great!

Posted March 29, 2019

great idea 🙂

55. Kristy says
    Posted March 25, 2019

So glad you found something that works for you! I also love what you said about never hearing your mom say mean things about her body. How parents talk about their own body and other people’s bodies is so powerful for kids!

56. Laura Jewison says
    Posted March 25, 2019

Thanks for sharing!! I’ve always been curious about Jenny Craig! I’ve done Weight Watchers and had success!! I started getting back into exercise in January!! Do you feel satisfied with the meals and taste?

57. Elaine Hewatt says
    Posted March 25, 2019

Good for you! Forge on! Mama’s health and well being has to be on the front burner. 😊 Then you will bring your BEST Kate to Justin and the kids. ❤️You’re worth it.

58. Ashley says
    Posted March 25, 2019

Thanks for sharing what’s working for you! I just started weight watchers and am excited to finally lose the extra weight I’ve been carrying around since getting pregnanct with my first. Love following you and seeing your “realness”!

59. Susan says
    Posted March 25, 2019

You look beautiful! I used to be a size 2 as well, until about age 30. Now I’m mid 40’s and wearing a lot of stretchy pants because I just don’t want to buy a double digit size. (Denial!) Losing weight is so much harder as we get older! I recently lost about 10 lb by exercising, reducing carbs, alcohol and increasing protein (nothing extreme like keto), but it’s not the way I like to eat, for sure. I appreciate you sharing your experience.

60. Danae says
    Posted March 25, 2019

Love that you shared this 🙌
    It’s a very personal thing so thank you. I’m a mom of three year old twins still trying to get ‘baby’ weight off too ha! Love hearing this as inspiration.

61. Ashley says
    Posted March 25, 2019

I wish my mother had been as kind as yours about body image when I was growing up—mine was very tall and slender and I am very short and curvy and she literally said to me once not long ago that my ideal weight and the best I ever looked was when I was in high school. I was a pre-pubescent twig 😑. I just turned 30 and while I’ve never hated my body I definitely had room for improvement! I go to boot camp too and am meal prepping and seeing real progress but learning the hard way that patience is key! I also agree that the number on the scale is not what’s important, it’s all about how you feel! Your post is amazing, as are you and your constant positivity! Ignore the haters, they are definitely projecting their own issues on whatever target they can find!

62. Beth says
    Posted March 25, 2019

Thx so much for such an honest and transparent blog post!!!

63. Alicia says
    Posted March 25, 2019

Kate, you are amazing! I have loved your blog for many years, but rarely comment. I think it is great to take care of yourself and do something that makes you feel good. Keep it up. Exercising with little ones is always difficult, but so worth it.

64. Nancy Hunter says
    Posted March 25, 2019

Kate, are you finding it difficult to cook separately for your hubby and kids? It sounds like the Jenny Craig food plan is fairly simple to prepare, so do you just cook a normal meal for the rest of your family? And wonderful post, you always look amazing and have such an uplifting spirit!❤️

65. Merprkr says
    Posted March 25, 2019

I have been doing Jenny Craig for about 6 months and have lost 56 pounds. I love that it takes away the day to day decisions about what to eat but at the same time teaches me about portion control and balance. Thanks so much for sharing!

WOW amazing! good job!!

66. Tarah says
    Posted March 25, 2019

So glad you have found something that works for you and your life style. It certainly seems the hardest to loose the little extra baby weight after baby #3!! My struggle is finding the time to work out with also balancing everything else with 3 children. What time do you find works best for working out?

Posted March 25, 2019

I HAVE to go before the kids get up to make sure it happens!

67. Jade says
    Posted March 25, 2019

As a mother of girls I love how matter of fact your mom was with you about it being totally normal about weight fluctuating and not talking badly about her body. Things to remember!!

68. Michal says
    Posted March 25, 2019

How does Home chef work into your diet plan? I see you post about it

Posted March 25, 2019

We get home chef twice a month and the nights we cook it I eat that for dinner! It’s a nice change up and I always look forward to it!

69. Kay says
    Posted March 25, 2019

My sister just reached her goal at Jenny Craig and looks great. Good luck!

70. Lauren says
    Posted March 25, 2019

Hi Kate, I’m a long time reader (pre-David!) and I rarely comment but I just want to say that I love how open and honest you are with your readers. I’m sure it can be difficult to do so at times, especially when there are always a few who have nothing nice to say. I appreciate your posts and what you share about your life. Thank you for being real and for being kind. 🙂

71. Molly says
    Posted March 25, 2019

You are rocking being a blogger, wife and most importantly … a great mom. Your journey of weigh loss is awesome. Way to go!!
    In your blue legging pic- I can really see you’ve slimed down. Keep it up the hard work.

72. Susan says
    Posted March 26, 2019

Thanks for sharing. I could tell in your instagram that you’ve been losing weight. It is funny that you mentioned Jenny Craig because I’ve been considering making an appointment with them for the past month. I’ll definitely have to give it a try.

73. Steph says
    Posted March 26, 2019

I have 3 young kids and a husband also. Do you cook a separate meal for your family while you eat your pre-made, Jenny Craig portion? Also…….any chance you’ll get a discount code? Asking for a friend 🙃 lol. I love your honesty in this post!

Posted March 26, 2019

Justin is in charge of his own dinners! And I cook the boys basic meals during the week ! No discount code unfortunately! sorry!

74. Chamila Purbhoo says
    Posted March 26, 2019

I ain’t from U.S but from a small island in the indian ocean Mauritius. Over here we dont have Jenny Craig but we have a similar program called WeighLess. I started in Jan 2019 and lost 16 pounds so far.
    So when I read this post, i felt extremely motivated to go forward..

thx for this beautiful posts with powerful words. Love to read from U.

regards
    Chamila

75. Jessica C. says
    Posted March 26, 2019

Gosh Kate – thank you! My last baby is 8 now so I can’t blame my extra weight on babies anymore (LOL!), but I have weight I’m carrying around that came on after my family entered full time ministry in 2014 which becomes a whole new rat race, a worthwhile one. Our family relocated a second time almost two years ago and the new dynamic has led me to put my body on the back burner, like you mentioned. Older kids, working full time, plus the demands and odd schedule of ministry can be so tricky some days! I really need to find an appointment in the calendar for the gym and hold to it and I need to stop thinking about how difficult the timing always is and commit to it. I tend to have a lot of fear about leaving my family behind while I work on myself, but my husband is so great, just like Justin – I shouldn’t be afraid!

Thank you for being honest, bold to share, and down to earth with your followers. One of the best things about this is that everything is here – we can go back and see your journey through your blog. I remember those things you mentioned from before having kids and how healthy your body looked. It always has in my opinion- more of what I love about you and what you have chosen your platform to stand for. Also more proof that you aren’t trying to sell things or mislead anyone. You are a gem! Thank you for your transparency and encouragement to every kind of woman to do what works for us and have grace with ourselves!

76. Jo Anna says
    Posted March 26, 2019

Kate, thank you for opening yourself, your challenges and successes, to your readers. I have enjoyed learning much about beauty from you, but am truly inspired by your faith, work ethic, and dedication to your family. You are beautiful, and inspire and empower other women to feel confident and beautiful, too.

77. Carrie says
    Posted March 26, 2019

Kate, I’m happy for you! You are a great person and in this day and age when someone’s always saying something rude, I think you’re brave to put yourself out there like this. Good for you! I’m glad you found something that works for you. I cannot actually wrap my mind around how anyone would object to anything in this post. Keep it up! Use your annoyance at any idiotic comments to run faster, jump higher, and put their sorry asses to shame. LOL.

78. Cortni Cross says
    Posted March 27, 2019

I’m wondering how you managed feeding your family when they weren’t eating what you were?

79. Claire says
    Posted March 27, 2019

Thank you Kate, I love your down to earth attitude about weight! It sure shouldn’t define us or consume our focus! I’m so sorry that there are people who will find something negative to say about even the most positive and encouraging post, it’s clearly a reflection of their own problems and nothing to do with the content of your work. Most of the time they’ve completely misunderstood you in the first place! I love your attitude and your ability to be positive and kind even in the face of criticism. You are an inspiration!

Posted March 28, 2019

Thanks Claire!

80. Stefani says
    Posted March 28, 2019

Way to go, Kate! So happy you found a program that works for you. Just getting healthy is truly whats most important. So glad you are doing just that. Curious, how come you all don’t eat together as a family? The way you have worded some of your comments , etc. it appears you eat at different times as the kids and maybe even Justin? Just wondered why is all. Don’t mean anything by it, just simply curious. 🙂
    Thanks for always being transparent with us. You’re an amazing woman!!!

81. Posted March 28, 2019

You’re awesome. Keep going girl!

82. Sarah says
    Posted March 30, 2019

Hey Kate, thanks for sharing this. You look great! I just signed up too and was wondering what you do when you have to travel? I travel for work and when I told the JC rep she said that I would need to bring food with me or find a location and buy it there. What? That’s not realistic. Any tips that you can share?

Posted April 1, 2019

She’s right! Traveling while doing this certainly isn’t impossible but it would be difficult. When I travel I just eat wisely and try to mimic what I’ve seen in the meals I have at home.

83. Kelly says
    Posted April 3, 2019

Kate, I’ve followed your blog for some time but never commented. I just wanted to say that this post really resonated with me. I’ve never tried Jenny Craig but I have a nagging 20 pounds too and your post made me wonder if I’m letting perfect be the enemy of good! As I get worried about the processed food etc etc. But like you I think it’s not forever and if it helps me with the portions and motivation maybe that the crutch I need to just get on with it. So thanks!

84. Erick says
    Posted April 21, 2019

Amazing! I’m sure it was a very hard job, few people are the ones who can achieve what you did and I say it from personal experience. Congratulations!
    If you allow me, my current girlfriend, I met her because we suffered a similar case and she let me know what helped me a lot http://bit.ly/2IRKdS9, I do not want to do promotion but it’s something that helped me and I think it’s good that people know him.

85. Sarah says
    Posted May 13, 2019

I follow you and love seeing your posts. Somehow I didn’t realize you did Jenny Craig, but I feel like this is exactly what I need for my lifestyle as well. I actually just signed up today and will start tomorrow. Looking forward to losing the baby weight I’ve been holding on for way too long and then maybe some more!

86. Brenda says
    Posted May 30, 2019

Thank you so much for this post! I thought about it for a long time and took the plunge and joined Jenny Craig last week. I am 8 days in and have already lost 4.8 lbs. which is unbelievable for me.

I have tried everything and nothing has seemed to work. I keep saying, I wish someone would just tell me what to eat, well Jenny Craig does. I have already learned so much about portions and balance of my food.

Thanks again for putting this on your blog and talking about your success!

• jom says
      Posted July 8, 2019

really inspiring. great blog

87. Maria Theresa says
    Posted July 16, 2019

This is really an encouraging article. I’ve been doing some of the steps and this product helped me lose weight. http://bit.ly/32oShBb

88. Hafez Jalim says
    Posted July 19, 2019

It is really inspiring to know that many people like you take time to control your body weight because it’s about being able to feel better about yourself and not seeing those stressful numbers on your scale, so I loved reading your blog and I’m going to combine with what I’m doing https://bit.ly/30ItFS8 to improve my results.

89. jane says
    Posted July 20, 2019

wow! congratulations for the amazing result! I had trouble in losing weight too but not until I discovered that our body has the capability to double weight loss. We can all lose weight by just doing Simple Rituals that benefits your entire body and still enjoying tasty foods. You can check http://bit.ly/2Z1dyOZ and see empowered women and their real life weight loss journey.

90. Sai Garcia says
    Posted July 22, 2019

Wow! Such an inspiring journey. I started mine as well with the use of this http://bit.ly/2XTUyW8.

91. Susan Rudd says
    Posted August 1, 2019

Question for you…as I have thought about doing something similar that is prepackaged and frozen. How do you prepare meals for your family when you’re doing something of this nature? Do you still cook for them, does your husband do that cooking and feel the kids, so you’re not tempted? That is my downfall, every time…so I wondered how you deal with that. Thanks for your thoughts. You always look so fantastic…you inspire me. 🙂 Best of luck in your journey!!

92. Susan Rudd says
    Posted August 1, 2019

Sorry..saw your answer in previous comments and posts…thank you. No need to respond…best of luck! By the way, I love it that your mother taught you that your weight changes over the course of your life. I think that’s a wonderful lesson in self image and healthy body image. Have you ever watched the “Embrace” documentary. It’s really good…same idea…you might like it. Best!