My Easy Everyday Waves

If I’m wearing my hair in soft waves, this is most likely how I style it! I like a traditional curling iron versus a wand because it gives me a bit more control over my sections!

I linked to the products and tools that I used or mentioned in the video below!

Products used or mentioned:

Aquage Uplifting Foam – all time favorite volumizer

Alterna Caviar Volume Spray – a great volumizing spray to provide lift throughout the hair, not just at the root.

Babyliss 1.25 inch curling iron – I’ve had this iron for years and love the soft curls it gives!

T3 Micro 1.25 inch curling iron – I love the versatility of this curling iron and find that my curls last a bit longer with it versus the Babyliss. Because of that, I typically reach for this option in the summertime!

Cura blow dryer – A favorite blow dryer. It dries my hair so quickly and leaves it smooth and soft!

Duckbill Clips (or jaw clips for thick hair!) – If you don’t have clips to section your hair, you need them!

Amika Fluxus Touchable Hairspray – This is lightweight, flexible hairspray that is great to use while styling the hair.

Kenra Volume 25 hairspray – I’ve been using this hairspray for over 16 years! It’s a firm, long-lasting hold and keeps my hair looking styled all day long.

p.s. you may like the curling iron comparison video I filmed a bit ago!

In this post:

1. Posted December 4, 2018

Your hair tutorials are always so easy to follow! My hair is a bit longer than yours but I think I can apply the same method 🙂

2. Sarah C. says
    Posted December 4, 2018

Thanks for the great videos. If my hair is shorter should I use a smaller barrel iron?

Posted December 4, 2018

Yes but I’d turn the heat down so they aren’t too curly!

3. Posted December 4, 2018

Thank you for this! I have hair similar to yours except thicker and it really resists curl. I’ve been unsuccessful my entire 35 years of life (think rollers and perms!yikes)…but I finally got a Babybliss flat iron and got my hair to curl!! Miracle! But the curls are tighter than I want. I feel a bit like an 80s Barbie. I just ordered your Babybliss curling iron and plan to try to follow this video closely. Really really hoping to get the soft waves I’ve wanted for years! Thanks again!

4. Jaime says
    Posted December 4, 2018

Kate! Love you hair always! I cannot find a decent curling iron, but more than that, I am just not good at styling my hair. I have read reviews on bababylis and there was a lot of burnt hair comments. That curling iron is more along the lines of my budget so is there one you recommend under $50 that won’t burn your hair off? The T3 is just out of my price range right now.

Thank you!

• Jaime says
      Posted December 4, 2018

oops! spelling error: meant Babyliss!

• Natalie says
      Posted December 4, 2018

I have a Babyliss curling iron and it has a temperature dial on it. I turn the heat way down and adjust it up if needed. Never had problems with frying my hair! 🙂

• Hilary says
      Posted December 4, 2018

I have never been able to curl my hair but I just got the Bed Head Curli Pops iron and I love it! I bought it at Ulta so I could return it in case I didn’t like it, but I think Amazon had it for cheaper. I’m still playing around with it but so far it’s fantastic. I have fine hair that doesn’t hold a curl well if that helps!

Posted December 4, 2018

Well I’ve been using the Babyliss for years and have never burned my hair. I think you just have to be mindful of the heat settings. That’s the iron I’d recommend! OTHerwise you can check out hot tools!

5. Jen says
    Posted December 4, 2018

Unrelated, but I have a pencil tree too but now my old tree skirt looks huge. I know you’ve mentioned getting a pencil tree, could you share where you found an appropriately sized tree skirt for it?

6. Steph says
    Posted December 4, 2018

This was great but it would be interesting to see you do a sequence of how you style for day 2 and then day 3. Or mesh them into one video but still show how you revive your hair for the subsequent days.

• Emily H. says
      Posted December 4, 2018

I agree, I’d love to see a Day 2 video!

• Deanna says
      Posted December 5, 2018

Yes! I thought I remembered an older video for 2nd day hair, but I can’t find it

• Tammy says
      Posted December 5, 2018

Ditto! Day 2 plus.

7. LISA D WILSON says
    Posted December 4, 2018

I have alot of fine long hair and when i try to do this I get no curl, but I dont know what product to put in my hair to start that will make my hair hold the curl. I normally use no product in my hair

• Rebekah says
      Posted December 5, 2018

I also have fine, straight hair, and I found that using a ceramic plated iron (versus a gold plated one) was much more effective in curling my hair!

For products, I only use heat protectant before and hairspray after. However, some people with super straight hair have success using a setting spray before curling.

8. Kaitlynn says
    Posted December 4, 2018

Do you have recommendations for achieving a similar look in shorter hair? (just above the shoulders) Should I use a smaller barrel, or stick w/ the 1.25?

9. Angela says
    Posted December 4, 2018

Sounds like I need some Kenra Volume hairspray in my life! Love the waves!

Angela at Blush & Pearls

10. Nicole Batten says
    Posted December 4, 2018

Love your tutorials! You said you were hoping to get 3 days out of your curls, how do you do that? I know you put your hair up at night. I have very fine hair, that by the end of the day is tangled underneath. So between combing out tangles, water spray in the shower(I do up my hair up) and then putting my hair up to sleep, by morning there’s nothing left but a hot mess that Ihave to recurl! What’s you secret?

Posted December 4, 2018

you must get a good shower cap! That will help so it doesn’t get wet in the shower.

11. Kylie says
    Posted December 4, 2018

I’ve struggled using the uplifting foam. It feels like the product is too much and leaves a crunchy feeling at my root. Any suggestions for me?

• Jen says
      Posted December 4, 2018

I have this problem sometimes too. I found that if I make sure to blow out the sections where the product is with a round brush for a minute after it’s totally dry it really helps.

12. Jen says
    Posted December 4, 2018

I know so said you’ll never go dark, but every time you do a tutorial I notice how beautiful your natural dark color underneath is!! Would be so fun to see it all dark! I think it would be beautiful!

• Jen says
      Posted December 4, 2018

Oops! Meant know you said…

thank you!

13. Jerica says
    Posted December 4, 2018

My hair is naturally curly/wavy but very fine. It looks thick because I have ALOT of hair. My length is just an inch or two longer than yours. When I blow dry it and try to curl with a curling iron (I have the T3 1.25in) my curls fall and it looks blah. I get so annoyed because I spend a lot of time trying to curl it for it to look like I didn’t do anything at all. I use the same technique you always talk about by starting at the root and wrapping around keeping the curling iron in the same place. If I handle my hair a lot like you demonstrate in this video I would pretty much lose all the curl. Why is it so hard for me to curl my already naturally curly hair? I figured my curls would hold much better than someone with straight hair. Any suggestions?! Thanks Kate!

14. Patti says
    Posted December 4, 2018

Any advice to achieve beachy waves if you have fine and thin hair? What do you think about ceramic wands for this type?

• Susan says

Yes to this! Me too!

• Sadie says
      Posted December 4, 2018

Any suggestions for beachy waves in fine / thin hair are greatly appreciated :-).

15. Katie says
    Posted December 4, 2018

How do you know what size curling iron to use? I have long hair now but sometimes I get a little fed up with it and then I whack it all off. Is there a good “universal” size for all hair lengths?

Posted December 4, 2018

I really think a 1.25 inch is quite versatile!

16. Jodee says
    Posted December 4, 2018

What temperature do you set your curling iron on?

Posted December 4, 2018

I’m usually a few clicks below the max temp

17. Connie says
    Posted December 4, 2018

Ok help needed and advice from anyone would be appreciated.
    Anytime I do curls like this, they fall out of my hair within the hour. I can wrap my hair around a wand and it stays well. But curling like you are doing, falls right out. I have no idea why. I’ve tried all kinds of products, they just seem to slip on out.
    What can I do to acheive this kind of style ave have it stay?
    PS I have naturally curly hair so my hair has never been hard to curl. But these won’t stay in.

18. Amy says
    Posted December 4, 2018

I bought the same curling iron years ago when you first recommended it. It NEVER holds curls in my hair, even with thermal styling spray and hairspray. My hairdresser even used the same one last time I had my hair done and the curls fell within an hour. Any suggestions?

19. Andrea says
    Posted December 4, 2018

What heat level do you set your babyliss iron to? I tried this curling iron and had trouble with it holding a curl for me. Wondering if I needed to bump up the heat. I think I had it set in the middle. Thanks!!

20. Melinda says
    Posted December 4, 2018

It’s always helpful to see new hair tutorials. Because sometimes you focus on one part of the hairstyle you forget about another part , which sometimes is a very important part. Watching a new tutorial helps you remember that important part of the hairstyle!

21. Reanna Garnica says
    Posted December 4, 2018

Hi Kate! You are my hair inspiration! I usually take a photo of your hair to my stylist when I go to have my hair done 😊. Anyway I bought the BayBliss 1.25 inch curling iron awhile ago after watching you use it, and love it! My question is though, it doesn’t say the temperature in degrees. I like to keep my hot tools around 375, do you know what heat setting number that would correspond to?

22. Lauren says
    Posted December 4, 2018

What heat setting is your babyliss on when creating these curls?!

23. Susan says
    Posted December 4, 2018

I want this hairstyle so badly but I have bangs. And my hair is very fine and highlighted. Would this style look good with bangs?

24. Cindy Shriver says
    Posted December 4, 2018

LOVED this tutorial!! I’ve watched it twice today! I wear my hair like this most days from learning this from you several years ago. But def needed some up-to-date skills. Thank you Kate!!!

25. Deb Darby says
    Posted December 4, 2018

Hi there! Thank you. Do you have any texturizing or layers in your cut at all?

Posted December 5, 2018

yes layers 🙂

26. amy says
    Posted December 4, 2018

i love this style and have been trying to teach it to myself for a bit! i feel like my curls end up turning into one giant curl instead of separating and laying nicely. any suggestions?

Posted December 5, 2018

I talk about this often! Just alternate the direction of your curls as you work around your head!

27. Julie says
    Posted December 5, 2018

Great video Kate! I am wondering if there is an especially good comb to use for teasing?

28. Stephanie says
    Posted December 5, 2018

Your tutorial was awesome! So easy for me to follow. thank you

29. Ashley Russell says
    Posted December 5, 2018

What is the polish you are wearing?

30. Karyn Woodard says
    Posted December 5, 2018

I would love to hear how you style your hair on day 2 or day 3 without washing.

31. Gina says
    Posted December 5, 2018

You mentioned your style lasting 2-3 days. HOW do you not have to curl your hair every day? Does it hold a curl well? Do you pin it up before bed? I have to heat style every day.
    The hair tutorials are very helpful.

32. Teri says
    Posted December 6, 2018

I have been using the Kenra 25 for a while now, and I feel like it holds great for the first 20 minutes. But as the day wears on, I feel like my curls fall out more quickly with Kenra than with my $4 can of Tresemme. Any thoughts? So at the beginning, my hair looks better with Kenra, but by the end of the day, it looks better if I used Tresemme.

33. Posted December 7, 2018

I love your tutorials, they are so helpful. I posted my photos on Instagram because I was very pleases with the results. I can curl my hair, its the extras like teasing afterwards, and the pulling on the curls that help-like little insider information. Thanks!

34. Carrie says
    Posted December 7, 2018

I love this. thank you! I would like to know how you sleep on this hair and then how you style it the next day. Do you comb it all out and re-curl it? Also how to you keep your hair from looking greasy the next day? I have tried all different kinds of dry shampoo and it still looks like I haven’t washed it for days. Do some people just need to wash their hair everyday?

35. Jenn says
    Posted December 7, 2018

Hi Kate! Any suggestions for a heat protectant for fine hair? I have fine, straight hair that doesn’t particularly like to hold a curl without a ton of hairspray so I don’t want to counter the spray by weighing it down but don’t want fried hair either. Help!

36. Misty says
    Posted December 8, 2018

So helpful!! Curious if you have any tips for someone with a ton of layers. I’m trying to get my hair to all one length, but after 3 babies and a ton of thyroid issues, my hair is in constant breakage mode and the layers just seem to never go away!! 😫

37. Heather says
    Posted December 9, 2018

Thank you so much for these very helpful videos Kate! You taught me how to style my hair and as a result, everyone tells me they love how my hair looks! I’m so grateful to you! Will you be posting any new holiday party hair looks this month? : )