Setting Powders: What they can do and a few that I love

Do you use a setting powder? If you don’t and you a running into problems like your makeup is fading or turning a bit blotchy, or you are getting shiny in the t-zone area midday, a setting powder can help prevent or correct some of those issues!

I broke down a few of my favorites, from translucent options to ones that add a bit of glow as well!

Powders mentioned in the video: NYX Professional Makeup HD Finishing Powder, It Cosmetics Bye Bye Pores, Urban Decay All Nighter, Laura Mercier Secret Brightening Powder for Under Eyes, Becca Soft Light Blurring Powder in Golden Haze

I suggest using a large fluff brush whether you are applying setting powder under your eye, or to your whole face! My favorite brushes can be found here!

P.S. Wondering how to apply concealer?  Here are three of my favorite tips!

In this post:

1. Posted November 5, 2018

I actually don’t use a setting powder and am completely clueless when it comes to their function! Wondering if I should add them to my routine!

2. Megan says
    Posted November 5, 2018

You may have already noticed, but it says the video is unavailable.

3. Posted November 5, 2018

I usually use a setting spray but you make me want to try a powder! Also – thank you for including a drugstore option. I usually try to shop at Sephora but I like to use a less expensive option to see if I like something before investing in it.

Felicity | http://oliverandmoose.com

4. Emilita says
    Posted November 5, 2018

I see what I think is the Hour Glass powder in the picture, and am curious what your thoughts are on that. I have it and I’m not totally sold. Thank you!

Posted November 5, 2018

I like it as a highlighter but not an all over face powder

5. Lisa says
    Posted November 5, 2018

Finally got the Laura Mercier under eye brightening powder and WOW! Huge difference and I will never be without! Thank you SO much!

Posted November 5, 2018

Right?! It really is!

6. Ann Stegall says
    Posted November 5, 2018

Thank you! Have you ever tried any of becca’s foundations? What did you think?

7. Lisa says
    Posted November 5, 2018

Hi Kate! I love your blog and following you on social media! I was wondering what blush/bronzer and lip color you were wearing in this video!?

8. Ann Marie Milligan says
    Posted November 5, 2018

Do you ever use a setting spray? Thanks for your videos – you are really helping me out – I enjoy wearing makeup but I enjoy wearing it correctly more!

9. Michele says
    Posted November 6, 2018

I’m going to check out that NYX one. It’s not even so much about the price point for high end stuff (well, yeah, it is!) but also the convenience of being able to get it on a Target or Walmart run, too.

Curious, but did you change your settings for when your posts go live? Up until a couple of months ago, they were faithfully up at 7AM NY time, now it’s less predictable. Not complaining at all, just curious! This is me trying to sound like I understand anything tech-y!!!

10. MariaE says
    Posted November 6, 2018

You recommend very lightly dusting powder. I have only a translucent powder right now. It seemed good to me because I am super fair and don’t want any fake tan messing with my perfect foundation shade. I blend the powder in because I heard translucent powder can give a “flashback” when photographed wearing it unless blended. Do you agree?

11. Michelle S says
    Posted November 6, 2018

Love the recommendations! I got the Laura Mercier a few months ago because you love it so much, and it does NOT disappoint… Question about the rest of the powders though. Would you layer the Becca on top of a setting powder or use it alone? I’ve got an oily t-zone and need to set it, but I also love the idea of adding some understated glow…I’d be nervous to use the Becca by itself for fear of being an oil slick later in the day, but then I also don’t want to look like I’m caked in powders if I layer them.

12. Sherry says
    Posted November 6, 2018

Could you list in order how products are supposed to be layered? Primer, foundation, concealer…then is it setting powder, bronzer, blush? If you use Becca does that take the place of bronzer? Also, is the color Golden HOUR or HAZE? Thanks!

13. Tracy says
    Posted November 6, 2018

I love the Avon makeup setting spray! It has Vitamins A, C, and E in it, and it feels so good. When I have a cold, I even use it to just make my skin feel good without makeup.

14. Nicole says
    Posted November 6, 2018

What about using a setting spray?

15. Angela says
    Posted November 8, 2018

I love setting powders and always use use all over my face (since I’m a bit oily). They always help minimize my pores and just give an airbrushed look. I love the RCMA No Color setting powder.

Angela at Blush & Pearls

16. Emily says
    Posted November 8, 2018

I have the same question as Sherry about order. I’ve watched your latest makeup tutorial but didn’t see the full face powder in there. Does it go before blush/bronzer or over blush/bronzer?

17. Samantha says
    Posted November 9, 2018

Not sure if this is a problem solved by setting powder, but how do you keep under eye concealer from settling into the fine lines under your eyes? After only a couple hours it looks like I have really big wrinkles, but I’m not even 30 yet 🙁

18. Posted November 12, 2018

Finally got the Laura Mercier under eye brightening powder and WOW! Huge difference and I will never be without! Thank you for sharing your post.

19. Posted November 13, 2018

I love setting powders! My fave is the Charlotte Tilbury Airbrush Flawless Finish even though it’s extremely expensive lol.

Isa | isabellabonifasi.com