A Simple 3 Step Smokey Eye

I feel like a universal term that almost every woman knows, whether she’s into makeup or not, is “smokey eye”. It all started with Cleopatra, but thankfully we have more options now and it doesn’t typically go from lash line to brow bone!

The quickest way to do a smokey eye, for even the most beginner of makeup wearers is to use a cream shadow. And the icing on the cake? You can grab this at almost any drugstore.

liquid lipstick in “infamous”, eyeliner, eyeshadow in Espresso

Since a smokey eye is already a lot darker than what I usually wear on my eye, I like using a chocolate brown liquid liner instead of black. It still gives my lash line some darkness but it’s not as harsh as black liquid liner.

For the shadow, I used my finger and simply pressed it all over the lid, starting in the center and working my way out to the edge of the crease. Then for the lower lashline, I used a small smudge brush and pressed some shadow along the lashes, from the corner of my eye to where my lashes end. Oftentimes tutorials for smokey eyes will have a few different eyeshadow colors that require blending and shading, but this is the easiest way to get the darker, smokey look!

Finish with a few coats of mascara and you’re done!

A smokey eye is great for date night or anytime you want your eyes to be the focus of your face. I like to balance it with a slightly more subtle, nude lipstick and a soft blush color.

p.s. a tutorial for applying cream eyeshadow!

In this post:

1. Posted October 18, 2018

I’ve actually never tried a smoky eye before. I love how subtle your look is! Could be a good way to start experimenting with this style! 🙂

2. Angela says
    Posted October 18, 2018

I really need to switch to a brown liner. I think black is just too harsh for me now. Thanks for the tip!

Angela | BlushandPearls.com

3. Allie says
    Posted October 18, 2018

I love the idea of a brown liquid liner. Thanks for the tip! Also, the glossier eyeshadows have a great brown color for a smiley eye. It’s really easy to blend too.
    xAllie

4. Posted October 18, 2018

Such a simple yet beautiful look! I love it <3

5. Posted October 18, 2018

Wow! So much more simple! Thanks for sharing!

6. AA says
    Posted October 18, 2018

Did you use a primer for this eyeshadow?

7. Casey says
    Posted October 19, 2018

Great post, Kate! I love that I can easily recreate looks you teach. One question, is the shadow you feature here matte or shimmer?

~Casey

8. Eva says
    Posted October 19, 2018

Gorgeous! So easy. I have to try to be a little more fearless about shadow colors. At some point I just moved away from using eyeshadow, but it’s nice to have a change every couple of days to keep feeling fresh!

Eva | http://www.shessobright.com

9. Jordan says
    Posted October 22, 2018

I absolutely love this look! I just picked up this lipstick in the shade “cookie”, and the formula is so amazing! I’ve been looking for other shades to try out, so I’ll have to give this one a go!

10. Steph says
    Posted October 22, 2018

Love the look but this is in no way, shape, or form a smokey eye! Like, not even a little. Brown eyeshadow does not equal smokey eye.

• Sandra says
      Posted November 8, 2018

Same thought. Just saw Ali Andrea do your makeup. Now that was fabulous!

11. Posted November 5, 2018

Smokey eye look is definitely a classic and you did such a lovely one, babe! 🙂

Jadirah Sarmad