When should you apply a face mask?

I love face masks as a spa-like indulgence, especially when it’s been a long day! Even if it’s the type of mask that dries completely and you could run a marathon in it, something about layering a product on your face to sit for about 15-30 minutes forces you to slow down and relax!

There are so many different face mask options on the market that will aid in almost any skin need. You can choose from sheet masks or loose creams that you apply yourself, and I have to admit I prefer the latter by far. BY FAR. Is it just me or do all sheet masks feel like they just came out of the freezer right before you apply them?!

There are some face masks that would better serve you if applied in the morning! You’ll reap the benefits of glowing healthy skin instead of simply going to sleep with it!nFor masks that are hydrating, illuminating, glow-enhancing, or generally formulated to make your skin feel like you’ve just left the spa, try using those in the morning. And if you can swing it, go light (or barefaced) on days you do this! Savor the perfect skin from the mask and show it off to the world! One of the times I felt like my skin looked the absolute best was after a face mask when all I applied was a touch of concealer at my under eye area and a bit of highlighter on my cheekbones. I felt like my skin looked healthy, nourished and vibrant!

Generally, any treatment mask that is intended to deal with breakouts, pores, problem areas, or exfoliating should likely be saved for the evening. Take the time to cleanse your face really well before applying the mask so the product can work its magic.

You can also totally up your face mask game by applying it with a brush. I swear, even this $5 brush will make you feel like your are spoiling yourself. Not only is it more hygienic, but it feels nice to apply it on the skin this way!

While you are at it, throw a terry cloth headband like this one or this one in your shopping cart as well. These should be headache-free and keep all your hair out of your mask! And if you want some extra luxury, try this comfy robe!

Do you have a regular face mask routine?

SaveSave

In this post:

1. Posted May 25, 2018

It makes sense that some masks are better applied in the morning – though I rarely have time, since I like to sleep until the last minute! 🙂

2. Allie says
    Posted May 25, 2018

I need to get one of those brushes! I love turning my beauty routine into an experience. I typically apply a face mask while I’m taking a bubble bath. It’s the perfect amount of time to let it sit, and it’s easy to get off. Sheet masks I apply before I get ready for an event.
    Happy Friday!
    xAllie

3. Amanda says
    Posted May 25, 2018

Try putting your sheet mask in a zip lock bag and submerging in some warm water for a few minutes to reduce that icy feeling!

4. Anna says
    Posted May 25, 2018

Hi Kate! I use a toner in my regular routine, after my cleanser and before a serum or just moisturizer. I’m not sure if you use a toner, but if so, do you apply your toner following the mask? And then follow with your moisturizer or any serums you use?

Thanks for sharing this post!!

• Rebekah says
      Posted May 31, 2018

I apply my toner after the mask to remove any remnants. That’s some advice I read on Renee Rouleau’s blog.

5. Rianne says
    Posted May 25, 2018

This post is really handy I never know when is the best time to apply face masks. Will have to give the products you mentioned a try.

6. Nicole says
    Posted May 25, 2018

I’m not very good with consistently using face masks, but my go to is the Origins retexturizing mask with rose clay! My skin always feels so nice after that. I can’t do the sheets – they make me feel claustrophobic.

7. Laurin says
    Posted May 25, 2018

I recently read that Mandy Moore throws her face masks in the fridge before applying while traveling! I’m going to try this trick out for those puffy skin days! 🙂

8. Khadija says
    Posted May 26, 2018

I love face masks! They are like a life saver for me when I’m having a bad skin day! I tend to use face masks for problematic skin and they make such a difference! Great tips.

KHVDIJA | http://www.khvdija.co.uk

9. Posted May 26, 2018

You learn something new everyday! 😀 Thank you for sharing your masking wisdom Kate and upping my masking game!

Ellie Xx

10. Kat says
    Posted May 26, 2018

That Fresh Black Tea mask goes on cold and stays cold. You can even kind of “reactivate” the cooling sensation by rubbing it in some more.
    It is expensive, but wonderful for helping stop tension headaches.

11. Katie says
    Posted May 26, 2018

Ahh, I love a good face mask day! I’ve taken to using a sleeping mask at the moment…. which is so easy because I can just throw it on before I go to bed!

Katie | http://www.katielclark.co.uk

12. Posted May 27, 2018

Thank you for this post! I usually put them on before I hit the bed but I literally learn something new today. Thanks! Love it 🙂 xx

13. Melissa says
    Posted May 29, 2018

I love Essie Bachelorette Bash!!! It’s such a perfect pink!

14. kiesha says
    Posted June 5, 2018

Great info, because I normally just use my face mask any time of the day. tbh I don’t think it’s even helping my skin. I would really love if you could recommend a face mask for sensitive skin which helps to remove blackhead & oil from the skin. Awaiting your reply.

15. Erin says
    Posted June 11, 2018

How often in a week do you use a mask? I find that i’m never sure how often to do it? I heard once a week, but then some packages say you can use the mask more often? do you mix and match to use masks more often (exfoliate once but then use the glowy ones more than that?). Thanks for the great post.