Winter makeup tutorial + first impressions of new products (4 drugstore products!)

It’s been a minute since I sat down, hit record, and just did my makeup while chatting about the products as I went. I get a fair amount of requests for this type of video and I must admit they are some of my favorites to watch from the YouTubers I follow regularly!

I picked up a few new products at Ulta recently so I used them for the very first time during the video. The Bare Minerals The Nature of Nudes eyeshadow palette is unbelievably beautiful. I mean, it stopped me in my tracks. I’ve used a few more times since this post and am equally impressed with all the shades.

I tried the NYX HD Finishing Powder in shade “banana” for the first time during the tutorial and really liked it! I didn’t notice a profound amount of brightness from it, but it worked well as a setting powder.

I really loved the Revlon Colorburst Matte balm in Sultry and the PhotoReady Brightener and Primer. I found my eyeshadow to last all day and I’ve used the Primer a few times since and really like it. I could live without the Revlon Colorstay Brow Mousse. It wasn’t super easy to use and I found it to be a bit too warm for my coloring.

You can watch the video below and find links to ALL the products I used in the video at the bottom of the post!

p.s. check out these pretty earrings!

SaveSave

In this post:

1. Posted January 5, 2018

Love the fresh look for winter! 🍃 So gorgeous! ❤️

2. Holly says
    Posted January 5, 2018

Thanks for sharing this video! I am just recently trying to get more into makeup and this was a great way to see how other people do it!

3. erin says
    Posted January 5, 2018

sometimes I have trouble getting more out of the Stila eyeliner. It’s almost like the tube gets stuck. Have you had that problem?

4. Kimberly says
    Posted January 5, 2018

Since you have tried so many hair tools, which one would you recommend to use for a shoulder length lob to create the beachy, wavy look? I would really appreciate your help. Thanks so much!

5. Allie says
    Posted January 5, 2018

The Bobbi Brown eye opening mascara is awesome!! I like using it over Roller Lash (or whatever sample I have lying around). It’s also nice to later an older tube under a new one. Happy Friday! xAllie http://www.theallthatglittersblog.com

6. Kirsty says
    Posted January 5, 2018

You are glowing! Such a lovely makeup look, thanks for sharing 🙂

7. Angela Jane Lomax says
    Posted January 5, 2018

Gorgeous, your hair looks amazing too

8. Maegen says
    Posted January 5, 2018

Kate- are you not using fibers any longer?

9. Cecilia says
    Posted January 5, 2018

Try the Clinique Just Browsing Brush-On Styling Mousse. I love the Benefit Gimme Brow ans have been failey pleased with the Clinique product while it is gone.

10. Katie F says
    Posted January 5, 2018

You should try essence make me brow, it’s a dupe for the benefit brow product they pulled off the shelves. I get it at Ulta and have tried both products side by side and it’s fab!

11. Kait says
    Posted January 5, 2018

How did the lip balm last??

12. Carol S. says
    Posted January 5, 2018

Love your honest and beautiful makeup tutorial. I love the tips that you give along the way. I would love more information (and maybe a link) about the Bites Agave Lip Treatment. Sounds like just the product I’ve been searching for…

13. Hannah says
    Posted January 5, 2018

The Loreal Brow Stylist Plumper is an awesome dupe for the Benefit Gimme Brow. The spooly is just like the Benefit one, it has fibers in it and it keeps your brows in place all day! Plus it’s a little more affordable for anybody that’s looking for a drugstore brow gel.

14. Jennifer says
    Posted January 5, 2018

Kate- where are your gold hoop earrings from? Or can you link them on Instagram or here?

15. Hannah says
    Posted January 5, 2018

Can you give details on the double sided eye shadow brush you’re using?

16. Kristen says
    Posted January 5, 2018

What is the lip treatment you raved about and that you said you use every night? I like using matte on my lips but agree that I don’t love the dry feeling!

• Alissa says
      Posted January 7, 2018

Its the bite agave lip treatment! I have a sample size right now and am already obsessed.

17. Melissa says
    Posted January 5, 2018

Just FYI there’s an error in one of the links – when you click on the matte balm it takes you to the brightener. Just so ya know. 🙂

I like that lip color. I might have to go buy it.

18. Karen says
    Posted January 5, 2018

LOVE the earrings… but the link isn’t working 🙁

19. Gina says
    Posted January 5, 2018

What would I tell my hairdresser to get the same cut as you currently have?

20. Tori says
    Posted January 5, 2018

I am completely in love with your red lipstick here!

21. Darby says
    Posted January 5, 2018

Is the lip color here that you’re wearing the same as the one you were wearing in the picture from your post on 1/2? I love that color and I just gotta have it lol

Posted January 6, 2018

yep!

22. Jenn says
    Posted January 5, 2018

How is a beauty blender different than a sponge? Is it better? What kind do you use? And, thank you for the tips on carrying the eyeliner out and not leaving the edge of the eye open:)

23. Kris Newton says

Hi Kate!

Love the earrings and was excited to see that you had added a link to them. However, I don’t think the link is working. At least it isn’t for me. Can you please post what brand the earrings are?

24. Gina says
    Posted January 5, 2018

I love watching your tutorials!! I love your earrings,but the link isn’t working. Can you share? 😀

25. Leah says
    Posted January 5, 2018

I know this doesn’t really have to do with the post but, I have just started using the MAC paint pot in Soft Ocher, and it creases on me after a few hours..have you ever had this before? I don’t use a whole lot just enough to lightly cover my lid, do you have any suggestions? Thanks!

26. AA says
    Posted January 6, 2018

Hi Kate,

I love your tutorials and have bought many beauty products based on your recommendations- and I’ve been very happy!

One thing I’ve noticed is that the make-up tutorials tend to mostly feature natural eye shadow shades such as browns and grays. I would love to see more variety! For example, like when you did the Smokey plum eye (http://www.thesmallthingsblog.com/2016/03/smokey-plum-eye/)

I would love it if you featured other eyeshadow shades! Maybe blush/pink, blues or silvers. Just a request 🙂

Thank you!!

27. Niki says
    Posted January 6, 2018

I love the earrings and want them for myself but the link isn’t working. Where are they from?

28. leza says
    Posted January 6, 2018

Lovely
    Want to now buy evetything she used!!

29. Carrie says
    Posted January 6, 2018

Kate…you look so pretty! I had a quick question. Do you use Retin-A? I am contemplating giving it another go around – specifically the Retin-A Micro because it’s touted as being less irritating. Just wondered your thoughts!

30. Amy M. says
    Posted January 6, 2018

Hey Kate, I had a question about your concealer. I have rosacea and get nervous about trying new products that could potentially cause a flareup. With that said, I cannot find anything that covers the redness on my cheeks/nose – do you think the concealer you use would work, or do you have a different recommendation? Thank you so much!

31. Rachel says
    Posted January 6, 2018

The Bare Minerals Nature of Nudes is my kind of palette. I like taupe/neutral tones for my eyes. I love the no fuss winter look you created without a ton of products. The lip color is everything!

32. Cherie says
    Posted January 6, 2018

Hi Kate!! Do you still use Benefit’s Goof proof brow pencil? I’m trying to decide between Anastasia Dipbrow and the goof proof brow pencil. I use lighter makeup during weekdays for work so was thinking the brow pencil may be More for everyday? Thanks!!!

33. Lizzy says
    Posted January 6, 2018

That BM pallet is GORGEOUS!

34. Posted January 6, 2018
  35. Susan Wilson says
    Posted January 6, 2018

Thanks, Kate, for taking the time to teach us a bit about getting ready for the day. I, like Emily Ley, first found out about your blog from looking at a Pinterest hair tutorial you posted. I pray for you and your new baby’s health.
    Looking forward to learning even more from you.

Susan

36. Tracie says
    Posted January 7, 2018

Love this look! Especially the lips!

37. Kari says
    Posted January 7, 2018

Loved this! Thank you for doing this video. The tip about the eyeliner underneath the eye was intriguing. I have never smudged my eyeliner and on top of that I always apply my eyeliner with to much “intensity”. I had a😲🤭😢moment and not to cry. So all that to say, I’ll be changing up my eyeliner lining. 🤪😅Love ya Kate!!

38. Robyn says
    Posted January 8, 2018

Hi from Texas! I so enjoy keeping up with your blog. I love your lip color in this tutorial. I bought the Revlon ColorBurst Matte Balm in Sultry and it is a TOTALLY different color – nowhere near anything red…. Just checking to see if maybe I got the wrong one…?

39. Rhonda says
    Posted January 8, 2018

I have always used liquid black eyeliner because I like the clean lines and the fact that it doesn’t smudge.

Does this stila (non liquid) smudge? stay on all day? I want to have a softer look and love the idea of softening with the brush.

40. Lauren says
    Posted January 9, 2018

The link you put for the lip balm takes me to the eye primer/brightener page, just fyi!

41. Siobhan says
    Posted January 15, 2018

I love for when you do these drugstore “useful” moments ! It helps with three kids to know I can grab some good products for the everyday lovely look . 🙂 as well as bananas and eggs !(mom multitask funny 😉 you help to navigate the two isles of jammed products ! I love the makeup stores but they can be tiresome to drive to after a long day keeping small people happy !and the looks ! I get it a “rushed rut “ sometimes Thank you ! You are just lovely !

42. Rachael says
    Posted January 15, 2018

Loved the lip color. I literally went and bought it the next day and wore it to a wedding I went too! Thank you so much. It is fabulous !

43. Amy says
    Posted January 15, 2018

How do you feel about semipermanent makeup? I’m also pregnant (which I know I currently can’t have done) but after the baby I want something that will make getting ready so easy. Maybe tightlining & microblading?

44. Marla Stecki says
    Posted January 19, 2018

That lip is crazy gorgeous!

45. Marla Stecki says
    Posted January 19, 2018

That lip is crazy gorgeous! I love living in Raleigh too!