3 Tips for Perfect, Long-Lasting Concealer

I’ve always had dark under-eye circles. I don’t have puffiness or heavy bags, but I just have a good deal of darkness under my eyes. For me, concealer is a GAME CHANGER in how awake and refreshed I look for the day. I’ve tried a handful of great concealers over the years, but recently I tried out Urban Decay’s All Nighter concealer and it is a new daily favorite. It knocked my tried and true Make Up For Ever concealer down to second place, which is a tough thing to do!

While I’m talking about this, I want to quickly point out that I try a LOT of different products. Just because this Urban Decay All Nighter concealer is my current favorite, does not mean that I do not like Make Up For Ever Full Cover concealer anymore. Both are fantastic, but I’m currently enjoying Urban Decay All Nighter right now! I always give products a good try before I talk about them so I can give them an honest review.

Anyway, I’ve found that a little goes a long way with this concealer, which is true for most concealers anyway. It’s quite thick, so my favorite way to blend it is with a damp beauty blender. You could certainly use a brush, or even your fingertip too!

3 tips for perfect, long-lasting concealer:

1. Apply a small amount AFTER applying foundation. You can always add more, but too much concealer leads to creasing which is the literal worst.
  2. Apply in a triangle shape spanning the side of your nose, to half way up your cheekbone and meeting below at the center point. Don’t simply swipe a line of it right under your eye, spread this product out so it gives overall brightness to that area of your face.
  3. Set with a setting powder. Setting your concealer is a must, especially for any of you who experience eye makeup or mascara smudging below your eyes. If you are not setting your concealer, you are asking for trouble. My favorite setting powder for concealer is Laura Mercier Secret Brightening Powder. This is magic. It brightens the under eye, takes all the tackiness away from concealer, and lasts all day with no creasing.

Of these 3 tips, the third one is the most vital. Setting your concealer will help it last so much longer, and stay right in place. Even if you don’t typically set your foundation with a setting powder, set your concealer!

I use a very old fluffy brush to pick up the powder and pat it into the concealer, but here is another brush option that is still available!

A few budget options for a loose setting powder are this one by e.l.f. HD underage setting powder or this one by No7!  If I ever come across a sample of this setting powder by Tarte, I’d love to try it under my eyes because I think it will be nice and brightening!

p.s. For more recent skincare posts, check out this one about my winter morning skincare!

SaveSave

SaveSave

SaveSave

SaveSave

SaveSave

SaveSave

In this post:

1. Kristin West says
    Posted December 6, 2017

You were reading my mind with this post. How’s the coverage for dark spots on your skin as opposed to under eyes?

2. Posted December 6, 2017

I keep forgetting the triangle shape application technique. Thank you for reminding me! 🙂

3. Jessie says
    Posted December 6, 2017

I hadn’t been using concealer for a while and I recently got Tarte Shape Tape. The salesperson said it wasn’t really for under eyes, but I just can’t accept that! I’m going to try this technique with the setting powder because I fall into the “eyeliner and mascara under eye smudge” category allll the time! Do you apply before or after eyeliner and mascara?

Thanks!

• Michele says
      Posted December 6, 2017

Did she say what it IS for? I use this too, under my eyes. Curious to know what it’s meant for if not the undereye area?

• Jessie says
        Posted December 6, 2017

She said it’s just for covering blemishes. I think she was saying it’s not for under eyes because it is the same tone as the rest of the face. she said to go for an under eye highlighter, but I didn’t want to buy 2 products.

4. Kimberly in NC says
    Posted December 6, 2017

Thanks for the budget friendly ELF powder recommendation. Do you have a budget friendly concealer option?

• Ray Ray says
      Posted December 6, 2017

Try Maybelline Instant Age Rewind!

• Kimberly in NC says
        Posted December 7, 2017

Thanks for the recommendation!

5. Allie says
    Posted December 6, 2017

Great tips! Another great product is the bare minerals liquid serum concealer, and setting it with leftover powder foundation. xAllie http://www.theallthatglittersblog.com

6. Olga says
    Posted December 6, 2017

Dark undereyes have always been a big problem for me one that I could never get away from. So no matter what I would always wear concealer when I got out of the house! However until now I would never set it because it would always look too heavy. I will try one of the powders you a reccomending though! Thank you for the post it’s really helpful!

Love,
    Olga from Myme

7. Natalie Webster says
    Posted December 6, 2017

Thanks for this post!! I’ve upped my make up game the last two years, but there are a few things I have questions about:
    – I use a B.B. cream…does that count as foundation?
    – based on what you said, the B.B. cream goes on before the concealer?
    – I normally put a powder (current is by hourglass) on over my B.B. cream…does that count as “setting powder”?
    Thanks, Kate!!!

8. Rebecca says
    Posted December 6, 2017

Should we try picking a shade a little lighter than our normal color to give a brighter look? Or do you want to try to match it to your foundation? Yours seems brighter…mine is darker so maybe that’s what I’m doing wrong?

9. Anne Spencer says
    Posted December 6, 2017

What color do you use in the Urban Decay?

10. Sarah says

You look FANTASTIC!

11. Erinn says
    Posted December 6, 2017

Great tips! I’m really interested in a beauty blender..I usually just use my finger to blend.

12. Erin says
    Posted December 6, 2017

Do you ever use a peachy-colored corrector first, then a concealer on top? I have very, very dark circles and have found I need a corrector topped by a concealer then a setting powder, but still I’m not happy with the results. Initially it looks great but hours later my circles are quite visible and the product has settled into my fine lines. Any suggestions? Is this a product issue? I use a Snashbox corrector and IT Bye Bye Undereye concealer.

• Erin says

Smashbox*

13. Olivia says
    Posted December 6, 2017

What about drugstore concealer ? Any suggestions? Love reading ur blog and I’m really enjoying ur Insta stories !! I feel like I know you haha not in a stalker way either lol

14. Shannon says
    Posted December 6, 2017

What color concealer did you choose? The color selections are not very good.

15. Alison says
    Posted December 6, 2017

What foundation did you use in this post?

16. Liz Cornett says
    Posted December 6, 2017

Thank you so much for this!! As a tired mama of three with circle, but no puffiness like you, I’ve been looking for advice every where! Perfect timing! What are you thoughts on Tarte’s Shape Tape? Severa people recommended it as “Magic” so I bought it and am underwhelmed.

17. Helen says
    Posted December 6, 2017

Hi- how do you know what shade you should choose?

18. Amanda says
    Posted December 6, 2017

Which shade in the concealer did you use? It looks great on you!

19. Hannah says
    Posted December 6, 2017

What is the difference between this setting powder and It cosmetics bye bye pores that you’ve mentioned before?

Posted December 6, 2017

this one has a brightening agent to it

20. Vickie J says

I’m LOVING the lighting on these photos – so natural and beautiful 🙂

21. Eva says
    Posted December 6, 2017

Your undereye’s look great in those pre-concealer pics! I have dark ones too, and I have been trying to get them to look better to begin with. I like Nars and Clé de Peau concealers – but I have been having some creasing. I don’t use foundation though, so would that be strange to powder the undereye and not my face?

22. Amanda says
    Posted December 6, 2017

How do you know what color concealer to use?

23. Mindy says
    Posted December 6, 2017

FYI, the filtered light setting powder from Tarte is amazing!! You will love it 😊

24. Amy says
    Posted December 6, 2017

I have never had any problem with eyeliner smudging under my eyes until the past 6 months. I have tried multiple eyeliners, pencils, gel liners, etc. Do you think the setting powder will work? Even when I don’t wear concealer (bad idea), the eyeliner smudges below my eyes.

25. Rachel says
    Posted December 6, 2017

Hi Kate! What is the reason for putting on your concealer after foundation? I’ve heard it both ways so just curious. Thanks!

• Jenny says
      Posted December 7, 2017

Yes, I’m curious too. When purchasing foundation and concealer from BareMinerals, they strongly stated you must put it on before foundation. Love your two cents on this.

26. Posted December 7, 2017

I think the results are very much affected by age too…as you get more wrinkles it won’t be as easy to cover very dark circles I am afraid.

27. Holly says
    Posted December 7, 2017

These are such good tips, especially knowing where to put it – I am definitely one of those people who just shoves it under their eyes & hopes for the best! I am also definitely going to start using setting powder to keep it in place, love the look of the No.7 one.Thanks for the top tips!

Holly from The Art of Being Holly xo

28. Jennifer says
    Posted December 7, 2017

What shade of concealer do you use?

29. Andrea says
    Posted December 7, 2017

I use tarte setting powder, but have issues with flashback in pictures when I wear it. I have huge issues with my mascara smudging under my eyes! How do you avoid flashback in pictures when using e setting powder?

30. Molly says
    Posted December 7, 2017

What shade concealer do you use? Better yet..how do you suggest one chooses the correct shade? I seem to always struggle with this!

Thanks!