Makeup for family photos

We had family photos taken recently and since I know a lot of people have their picture taken around this time of the year I thought I’d run through how I do my makeup, and share some tips along the way for makeup that photographs well!

It should surprise no one that I like to keep it pretty classic for family photos, so my makeup tones are warm browns, natural looking blush, and a slightly pink lipstick.

Check out the video tutorial below!

What I used:

Arbonne Perfecting Liquid Foundation (second choice: Tarte Amazonian Clay foundation)

Tarte blush in Exposed

Urban Decay Morning After

Stila Smudge Stick Waterproof Eyeliner in Damsel

ByeBye Pores Translucent setting powder

Glo Skin Beauty Palette (similar option: Make Up For Ever Artist Palette Volume 1)

Glo Skin Beauty Contour Palette (similar option: Anastasia Contour Kit)

Sonia Kashuk brushes

Benefit Goof Proof Eyebrow Pencil in 1

Benefit Gimme Brow

Pixi Lower Lash Mascara

Benefit Roller Lash Mascara

Cherry Blooms Lash Fibers

p.s. If you want to learn how to straighten your hair but maintain volume and fullness, watch this!

First photo by Jordan Maunder

SaveSave

SaveSave

SaveSave

In this post:

1. Posted November 2, 2017

Love the natural, classic look of your makeup. The photo looks beautiful too πŸ™‚

2. Allie says
    Posted November 2, 2017

You look beautiful! Makeup for pictures is so tricky, thank you for all the tips. When I got my makeup done for my engagement photos and wedding it felt so heavy, but then looked perfect in pictures. One product they used that I really liked was the Becca highlighting powder. xxAllie http://www.theallthatglittersblog.com

3. Posted November 2, 2017

Just wanted to say I really appreciated this post! As a mom, I don’t want to wear a ton of makeup for family photos, but I do actually want to look like I’m alive and awake! Thanks for this!

4. Sherry says
    Posted November 2, 2017

We are the same foundation shade in Arbonne and was wondering if you would share your Tarte shade? I was color matched in Ulta and felt it was way too dark. There are too many choices! Thanks!

5. Dianna Miller says
    Posted November 2, 2017

I’m learning so much from all your beauty tutorials! I’m trying to do a better job applying my makeup for the camera. I’m also trying to train myself to not apply much eyeliner under my eyes as it makes them look harsh and small. It’s hard to break the habit! LOL!

6. Alyssa says
    Posted November 2, 2017

Great video with so many helpful tips! My two cents are just to be careful using anything reusable on a cold sore (the virus lives on the surface of the sore), and don’t let anything that touched a cold sore get anywhere your eyes! You can reinfect yourself, and an infection in your eyes is really serious.

7. Jan says
    Posted November 2, 2017

Thank you! So practical!

8. Monica says
    Posted November 2, 2017

I loved this video, but I also wanted to say that I love your freckles! You could totally pull off a lighter coverage foundation or tinted moisturizer and look gorgeous! Thanks for the great tutorial!

9. Kim says
    Posted November 2, 2017

Your foundation looks flawless! Gorgeous look!

Kim

http://trendkeeper.me .. the best long cardis and giveaway!

10. Linda says
    Posted November 2, 2017

Is there a drugstore dup for that lipstick?

11. Lindsey says
    Posted November 2, 2017

Getting family photos taken…tomorrow. I have natural red hair and pale skin, would you recommend that lip color? I like the things you said about it…easy to wear, more natural…but often what works on almost everyone else looks brown instead of pink on me. Thanks! Grateful for your tutorials.

12. Posted November 3, 2017

What do you do if you have a large natural crease in your eyelid? Thanks!

13. Katherine says
    Posted November 3, 2017

Very nice…especially the eye makeup. And I like the lipstick color very much. But I have a difficult time wearing warmer peachy blush with cooler lipstick tones. It always looks like it clashes on me. On my cool toned skin a natural pink blush always blends better with my pink and mauve lipsticks.

14. Laura G says
    Posted November 7, 2017

can you please put up a link to where you got the lace burgundy dress in the post about the get-together with friends and shopping at Aldi? it is adorable!

15. Kellie says
    Posted November 9, 2017

Such a natural look! Awesome tutorial. Do you have an alternative recommendation to the Glo Skin eye palette? Hoping for something I could pick up at Sephora or Ulta πŸ™‚

16. Ann says
    Posted December 5, 2017

Hi, Kate. Love your blog. Just curious, how long does your tube of lash fibers last? Thank you.