Apple Streusel Cinnamon Bread

My mom gave me this cookbook a few years ago and unfortunately with the popularity of Pinterest I rarely crack open any cookbooks! But, I was looking for something different than muffins one Sunday morning, so I flipped open this one in search of a different kind of breakfast bread. I found the Apple Streusel Cinnamon Bread and it looked perfect. I followed the recipe exactly from the book, but if I ever make it again I will definitely add cinnamon to the batter and not just the streusel!

Apple Streusel Cinnamon Bread

2 cups flour

1 tablespoon baking powder

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 cup sugar plus 2 tablespoons

1/2 cup butter

1 cups chopped peeled apples

1/4 tsp lemon zest

1/2 cup milk

1 egg

1/2 tsp cinnamon, divided in half

Preheat the oven to 350. Stir together flour, baking powder, salt and 1/2 cup sugar. Cut in butter until it forms to coarse crumbs. Reserve 1/2 cup of this mixture and set aside.

Stir in apples, 1/4 tsp cinnamon and lemon zest to the remaining mixture.

In a small bowl, mix egg and milk well. Add to apple/flour mixture and stir until just moistened, adding a splash of milk if it seems too dry.

Pour batter into a greased 9x3x5 loaf pan.

Add remaining 1/4 tsp of cinnamon and 2 tbsp of sugar to the reserved flour mixture. Stir together until blended, then sprinkle over top of the batter in the loaf pan. Press down lightly.

Bake in the center of the oven for 55-60 minutes, or until inserted toothpick comes out clean. Let cool for 10 minutes prior to cutting and serving.

Enjoy!

*adapted from Goodness Gracious cookbook

For more yummy recipes, try these light caprese bites or Florence’s Coffee Cake!

1. Posted April 25, 2017

It looks delicious! I hear ya about never looking at cookbooks thanks to Pinterest. The internet can be so distracting sometimes!

2. Sofia says
    Posted April 25, 2017

That looks and sounds amazing!! I’ve been making it my goal to find + use recipes that aren’t on Pinterest and I’ve been able to find some real gems!

xo, Sofia

3. Kerri says
    Posted April 25, 2017

Yum! That bread looks delicious. I am a sucker for anything cinnamon related.

4. Posted April 25, 2017

This would be perfect to make ahead one weekend and have for breakfasts throughout the week!

5. Posted April 25, 2017

It looks very very nice. I also make such bread. I experiment with the fruits. You can use pear or some berries instead of the apple and will also be very good.

6. Eva says
    Posted April 25, 2017

I think I would end up eating the whole top! Haha!

7. Kay says
    Posted April 25, 2017

This looks so good! I will have to try it out <3

8. Mylene says
    Posted April 25, 2017

Oh my goodness! It looked so good that as soon as I saw your post this morning I decided to bake it with my kids. I just had my first piece and it’s sooooo delicious! I told my husband he should be worried there might not be any left when he gets home from work!!

9. Posted April 25, 2017

Looks so good… 😋 I’ve sometimes added cinnamon chips (Hershey brand) to coffee cake batter and it adds a good touch of cinnamon throughout the batter, like what you mentioned! Another easy cinnamon fix (basically a recipe for lazy cinnamon rolls, lol) is sprinkling some cinnamon chips on crescent roll dough, roll them up and bake. Mix up some powdered sugar frosting to drizzle on the top and oh man…delicious. Now I’m getting hungry! 🙂

10. Susan says
    Posted April 25, 2017

I love apple coffee cake!
    I’ve been obsessed with baking Bundt cakes:

11. A Sparkle Of Grace says
    Posted April 25, 2017

This looks so yummy!
    A Sparkle Of Grace

12. Caitlin says
    Posted April 26, 2017

Apple cake is my absolute favorite so I can’t wait to try this! This plus coffee sounds like a pretty solid Saturday morning!

13. RDM says
    Posted April 27, 2017

Where can one see nutrition info?

14. Maya says
    Posted June 6, 2017

Do you use cooking-apples, or eaters for this? Thanks 🙂

15. Posted September 17, 2017

It looks delectable! I hear ya about never taking a gander at cookbooks on account of Pinterest. The web can be so diverting once in a while!