links + loves

Did you see my lipstick with Birchbox? So exciting! A few of my girlfriends have already bought it and it makes me so happy! You can get it for just $10.00 on Birchbox.com, whether you are a subscriber or not!

Justin and I started The Man in the High Castle this week and it was certainly intriguing. We are only one episode in, but I’m sure we’ll watch more to see how the story unfolds. Did you know it is the most watched series on Amazon Prime? I read that as I was googling shows to watch and as SOON as I find that article that backs up that claim I’ll link it here 🙂

Emily rounded up her winter to spring wardrobe picks and I have to say they are all perfect!

Do you have any Valentine’s Day plans? We don’t, but I may try this Texas Sheet Cake from Pioneer Woman again for our small group. It’s been a few years since I made it but it’s so good! But also THIS looks amazing.

What a cute playroom.

Doesn’t this soup look delicious?!

I made this on Monday night and while it tasted YUMMY it was a little soupy. I’ve never made Arborio rice, so perhaps I did something wrong there but I do want to try it again because the flavors were awesome.

Luke turns 2 years old on Sunday! I can’t believe it! He seems so much older than that to me, but I think that’s because he’s been talking up a storm for awhile. The child loves pretzels so I’m planning on making some chocolate dipped pretzels and also having cake. The weather is predicted to be 78, YES 78 DEGREES, on Sunday so I think he’s little party will be held outdoors!

Have a great weekend!

1. Kari says
    Posted February 10, 2017

I always love your Links + Loves! I need to get that lipstick:) Thanks for sharing. Enjoy your weekend festivities!!!

2. Inna says
    Posted February 10, 2017

I love your loves and links posts! What a great way to bunch things together and show us what you like! I literally click on each link and enjoy reading about them. Have yourself a great weekend!

Posted February 10, 2017

Wow thats so nice Inna, thanks!

3. Kristen says
    Posted February 10, 2017

I ordered your lipstick and am checking the mail DAILY till it gets here! And I just got my new Charlotte Tilbury Eye shadow palette yesterday! And it is the perfect palette!! Thank you for all your recommendations!!

4. Posted February 10, 2017

The Man in the High Castle is amazing!! We’ve watched both seasons and it does take a little bit to get into but it is extremely well done and well acted.

5. Andrina says
    Posted February 10, 2017

Dinner looked amazing! If your aborio looks soupy, just cook it bit longer til it absorbs the liquid. I need to make that for dinner now.

6. Cheryl says
    Posted February 10, 2017

Regarding your recipe, I think the proportions look a little heavy on the liquid. I started making risotto for my kids when they were about your boys’ ages, and it has long been one of their favorite things. It’s a GREAT way to introduce other flavors, too, because you can sneak veggies in and they don’t really care. (Butternut squash, I’m looking at you.) Also, about the recipe, I’ve never seen one that includes milk, especially low-fat milk, because it tends to curdle if you cook it too much. My go-to is the recipe on the back of the arborio container, and I just stir it as much as possible and don’t worry about it.
    Cute lipstick, BTW. I think I’m going to throw it into my daughter’s next Birchbox.

7. Mara says

Happy Birthday, Luke!!

8. Kait says
    Posted February 10, 2017

Does Luke like soft pretzels too? If you have a SAMs club near you, you should check out their snack bar! They have THE BEST soft pretzels. You can buy them by the case too–I think it is like $35 for 60 pretzels. Bake them for three or four minutes at 450 and they are as good as any pretzel shop! They come with a cinnamon sugar mix and pretzel salt. I know 60 pretzels seem daunting but what a perfect snack for his party or get-togethers with friends!

9. Posted February 10, 2017

That is the perfect lipstick for spring/summer! I just love bright tones for the warmer seasons.

Blush & Pearls by Angela

10. Katie says
    Posted February 10, 2017

The Man in the High Castle is a GREAT show! I’m into the second season and it does not disappoint.

11. Adelle Davis says
    Posted February 10, 2017

I BOUGHT your lipstick!! I can’t wait to try it. Happy Birthday to Luke!!

12. Christy says
    Posted February 10, 2017

Hey Kate, I’m a risotto purist so I haven’t baked it before. I add a little warmed broth at a time and get it to the “just right” consistency before adding more. Otherwise I’d think you could end up with a soupy or dried out mess if you tried baking it as the recipe suggests. I love this link for most common mistakes when making risotto the long and in my opinion, most delicious way. 🙂 Bon Appetit!

Posted February 10, 2017

This is great, thank you!!

13. Maria says
    Posted February 10, 2017

Have you watched “The Crown” on Netflix? It’s really, really good.

14. Stephanie says
    Posted February 10, 2017

Just got my lipstick in Playful today in the mail! Love, love, love the color and texture! Perfect!

15. elizabeth ashley says
    Posted February 10, 2017

I LOVE Man in the High Castle!!!! And congratulations on your Birchbox lippy!

16. Molly says
    Posted February 11, 2017

Pioneer woman’s chocolate sheet cake is a favorite in our house! For special occasions though, we make her Strawberry Nutella cake ( looks similar to the other one you posted) and it’s amazing!

17. THERESA says
    Posted February 11, 2017

Here’s an article about the top shows on Amazon Prime. http://www.businessinsider.com/most-popular-amazon-tv-shows-2016-12

And I also recommend The Crown on Netflix.

18. Noelle says
    Posted February 11, 2017

Kate, I actually tried that EXACT recipe a few weeks ago and mine also came out a soupy. I literally thought I was going to have to dump the whole thing before I took it out of the oven. We made ours in a large dutch oven that’s quite a bit deeper than the one the author used, so the chicken was kind of submerged in the rice rather than on top.

Thankfully, the risotto did absorb most of the liquid, but unfortunately the chicken was more poached than roasted, which was not super appealing. We really enjoyed the risotto portion, but the chicken was very “meh”.

19. Holly says
    Posted February 11, 2017

Hey Kate!! I love the Man in the High Castle – so glad you’re watching it.

FYI for some reason your last two Links + Loves posts have made my Feedly app crash whenever I try to open them. It doesn’t happen with any other posts via Feedly and I am able to view all posts on your website just fine. It doesn’t bother me, but I just thought you might like to know!

Happy birthday to Luke!! My birthday was yesterday – I loved when you had him a couple of years ago so close to my birthday. February is a great month!

20. Janine says
    Posted February 11, 2017

I live your lipstick recommendations! What shade?

21. Posted February 12, 2017

Never heard of that show! Googling now!

22. Dianne says
    Posted February 15, 2017

I am quite a bit older than you and I just love the ideas that you share for makeup. It helps me keep myself updated! I live in California but am from Raleigh so I had to write. My brother said it was reeeeely warm there. I MISS NC! Lovely blog, cheers! Dianne

23. rachel lyons says
    Posted February 26, 2017

Kate–abrorio rice is best when made into risotto and don’t skimp on the brand! Risotto for me, is a meditative process. It takes a while but it is sooo worth it! I love nigella’ s Risotto recipes!

24. Posted May 22, 2017

Very interesting details you have noted, regards
    for posting.