If you are a low-maintenance makeup kind-of-gal, or one that doesn't wear much makeup at all, these are some great products to start with.
1. A bb cream is a great base for evening skin tone, adding a hint of color that is blendable and breathable, and providing smoothness and spf. It's much lighter than traditional liquid foundation so it won't leave a heavy finish on the face.
2. A light powder will provide a matte finish and even tone in top of the bb cream. This part isn't necessary, but great for those who have oily prone skin, or prefer a matte finish.
3. this Almay eyeshadow compact comes with everything you need for a dimentional eyeshadow look. Plus it even tells you where to apply the product.
4. I can't get enough of the Maybelline Color Whisper lip gloss/balms. One swipe gives you a hint of color, but a few layers will add enough depth for a full coverage color.
5. A blush with a few different tones will leave your cheeks with luminous color, highlight and dimension, all from one product.
6. CoverGirl Lash Blast is the best mascara I've ever used. Once swipe is good, but three swipes is better.
7. Sephora's waterproof eyeliner is bold and long-lasting.
These are great base products to start a makeup collection with. You can build on it with new lip color, a brighter blush, or different eyeshadow colors--but having good quality products to start with will be easier to add to.