grey + grey

dress (similar) // belt // boots // lipstick

Sometimes the only thing that goes with a grey sweatshirt dress . . . is a slouchy grey sweater. You heard it here first : grey goes with grey.

Or at least I think it does.

Does it?

This dress hasn’t been the easiest item to style in my closet, but every time I put it on I remember why I liked it in the first place. It’s comfortable and casual, but with the right accessorizing it can look slightly less loungewear and more “put together”. I wore it this summer with some bright shoes, but this time went with a necklace for the pop of color.

1. Posted January 8, 2013

Yes, gray goes with gray!! You look great!!

2. Posted January 8, 2013

Well, if grey doesn’t go w/ grey I’m in heap of trouble. For like a really long time. That is a gorg outfit.

3. Tia says
    Posted January 8, 2013

Love the outfit πŸ™‚ you always look adorable !! What color is the max lipstick your wearing ?

Posted January 8, 2013

Syrup by Mac! There’s a link at the bottom of the post!

• Posted January 9, 2013

So very cute!!

4. Carly says
    Posted January 8, 2013

Love this, it’s a great neutral outfit! That necklace adds the perfect pop of color!

Carly

5. Posted January 8, 2013

I love this outfit! It’s beautiful. I would definitely wear it.

You did a really nice job styling the dress.

~FringeGirl

6. Maria says
    Posted January 8, 2013

I think that gray goes with gray, personally. The dress looks great and super comfy. xo, Maria

7. Chris says

grey + grey = win win!

8. Posted January 8, 2013

haha, yes, grey def goes with grey πŸ™‚
    also, love that belt!

– heather
    This Life Is Yours Blog

9. Angie says
    Posted January 8, 2013

stop it!! you’re so pretty and your outfit is so cute! πŸ™‚

10. Posted January 8, 2013

Did you know you don’t have an insta feed on your side bar any more? I just wanted to tell you because I like looking at for oufit inspiration! But, maybe you got rid of it πŸ™‚

Posted January 8, 2013

yeah, I took it down. Trying to clean things up a bit in my sidebar πŸ™‚

• Posted January 10, 2013

Ah, I see! Simple for the new year! PS your outfits are so so inspirational to me and helped me get out of a slump after I had my son a year ago. You are classy and timeless!

11. Lex LB says

So stylish!!

12. Posted January 8, 2013

Beautiful! And I love the plumb necklace with the grey.

13. Kristin says
    Posted January 8, 2013

Very cute! Casual, classy, and comfy all in one. My kind of outfit πŸ˜‰

14. Jenn D says

Love your necklace!

15. Posted January 8, 2013

i love how differently you styled this dress in each outfit. the summer one feels so very summer and late night drinks by the water while today’s is exactly like anyone would want to look in the winter–cozy, but not drab. the plum really kicks it up a notch and brings out your eyes.
    grey on grey is always a good thing!
    xo
    writeslikeagirlblog.blogspot.com

16. Amy says
    Posted January 8, 2013

I think you styled it lovely!

17. Posted January 8, 2013

I love putting similar colors together! You can always amp it up like you did! Gorgeous combination!

18. Alissa says
    Posted January 8, 2013

NO I completely agree with you, sometimes grey is the only thing that actually goes with grey!

19. Posted January 8, 2013

Love this! Next year, I’m definitely investing in some open draped cardigans like this one. So chic!

20. Posted January 8, 2013

For whatever reason, gray is always the color of comfort to me. I just think of super cozy hoodies and sweatpants. So this outfit makes me feel like I’d be wearing pajamas to work. Which is probably one of the best feelings there is. πŸ™‚

21. Posted January 8, 2013

yes! it absolutely goes!! so gorgeous and classic!

22. Posted January 8, 2013

Kate- i have this dress, and started layering a chambray or pop of color collared shirt under mine. I also took a cue from you, and layered tops w/collar strings/bows (like your grey polka dot neck tie blouse) underneath w/a cardigan. Try a few of those options… they’ve been working well for me! =)

sounds cute! πŸ™‚

23. Posted January 8, 2013

You look Gorg in Grey!!! Have a great day:)

24. Posted January 8, 2013

This is adorable! I love how you mixed all the different neutrals together; I’m a huge fan of mixing neutrals. And “shades of gray” is one of my fave looks! I bet this is super comfy too; I’m a little jealous I’m not wearing it right now, haha

25. Posted January 8, 2013

Love this look so cozy chic! adore the necklace!

26. Sarah says
    Posted January 8, 2013

I gravitate toward grey pieces…but often find that more grey is what pulls the outfit together (as much as I want my favorite cream cardigan to work, it doesn’t!). I’m glad to know I am not the only one pairing different shades of grey. Lovely!

27. Posted January 8, 2013

I like the colors and the overall goal of the look… but I think the belt makes it look… unproportioned and makes you look a bit hippy and wide. And you don’t look that way in other pics, so I would either lose the belt completely or don’t belt it over the ruffles.

Posted January 8, 2013

I see what you’re saying for sure. I contemplated the belt but without it the dress + sweater is shapeless!

• ali joy says
      Posted January 9, 2013

hmm, what about a wider belt? something stretchy with a large-ish leather buckle.

ali

• ali joy says
      Posted January 9, 2013

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

28. Posted January 8, 2013
  29. Kendra says
    Posted January 8, 2013

I have to agree with lilybethblue. My 9-year-old daughter agrees, too. She walked in the room, viewed the picture over my shoulder and said, “Oh, the hair lady you like is pregnant!”

Posted January 8, 2013

eek. you never want to hear that one when you aren’t!

30. Posted January 8, 2013

love the gray on gray — such a pretty look on you! xo

31. Kendra says
    Posted January 8, 2013

(I got a pregnancy question once and promptly went on Weight Watchers and lost 17 pounds!) But, you don’t need to lose weight at ALL! I opened 2 windows – one with this outfit and another with the picture of you showcasing your better life bag. if you put them side by side, it’s amazing the difference in your body shape. You look little and perfectly fit in the better life bag picture.

32. Posted January 8, 2013

I absolutely adore this outfit. So want to steal it from your closet. Not only is it so cute, it looks SO comfy! Love comfy cute outfits! Thanks Kate!

33. Posted January 8, 2013

I love this! I have a similar open sweater from Maurices. I’ll have to try this look with some items I own, too! I need new boots though… Clumsy me, I tripped (a few times) on the steps in to my house and over the past few months I realize I’ve ruined the toes on the boots. In my defense, the stairs to my front door are cobblestone and uneven!

34. Posted January 8, 2013

Looks gorgeous! You have such great style!

35. Posted January 8, 2013

Its a very pretty combination Kate. I would just put the belt over the dress but not over the sweater. πŸ™‚

36. kmsten says
    Posted January 9, 2013

oh i loves grays together! πŸ™‚ i cant tell though..are your tights navy or black?

Posted January 9, 2013

black!

37. kmsten says
    Posted January 9, 2013

38. Posted January 9, 2013

I love this! Especially with that beautiful necklace and the shade of lip stick you’re wearing!

39. Posted January 9, 2013

40. Posted January 10, 2013

Are your boots black or brown?

41. SH says
    Posted January 11, 2013

I love the outfit! And the pop of color in the necklace is perfect. So classy!

thehartungs.blogspot.ca

42. Posted January 12, 2013

What color/brand is your lipstick?

43. Kellie says
    Posted January 14, 2013

I love greys!! And I love the necklace! I see them and think they look great on other people but always feel so self conscience when I wear one myself.

44. Posted January 21, 2013

Cute outfit! For some reason the link for the boots isn’t working for me. Can I trouble you to point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

45. Posted February 2, 2013

Such an awesome outfit! I love your blog! I have started something similar, feel free to follow me! πŸ™‚

46. Nichole says
    Posted February 3, 2013

you are absolutely beautiful and adorable. I love seeing a “normal” or average size woman strutting awesome fashion. I love fashion blogs but it’s usually rail thin people and I have a hard time visualizing weather that style will fit my body. I’m a size 10 most of the time and somewhat curvy. Thank you for sharing your fashion sense πŸ™‚