emerald skirt

blouse, Francescas similar
skirt, c/o Tailor & Stylist (10% off with “smallthings10″ code!)
shoes, similar & cuter
bag, kate spade similar
necklace, banana republic outlet (very old)
I’m sure by now you’ve heard that Pantone declared Emerald the color of 2013. I’m not as excited about it as I was for Tangerine Tango in 2012, but I’m sure emerald will make it’s way into my wardrobe this year.

Actually, it already began with this skirt. I was drawn to the high waist and subtle pleats on the back, along with the muted emerald color. It’s easy to pair existing pieces with it, rather than working with a particularly bright green skirt.

I was excited to wear these tights, as well, however these went straight into the trash can after I shot this. First of all, they were size “s/m or m/l” which isn’t exactly clear. I thought that was strange when I bought them, but I assumed they would be the stretchiest tights I’d ever wear.

Not the case. They were way too short, and I’m not even all that tall. They were also crazy thin, so the tugging to try to stretch them long enough caused a few runs.

Anyway, don’t buy them. But if you see any other polka dot tights like these, let me know. I’m a pretty big fan.

Comments

Hey Kate! If you have a Nordstrom Rack nearby, check out their tights. They are the Nordstrom brand, and called something like “Sheer Polka”. At a price of $3.97, I have not found anything to beat them! I buy them and the diamond pattern ones by the dozen, then wear them for a good year. :) The black diamond ones are a bit thicker than the black polka, but the polka are pretty good too. I still haven’t figured out if there is something imperfect about some of them as sometimes I see little imperfections, but I am pretty sure nobody else notices. I get compliments every time I wear them! Also, I have had a pair of really thick tights from Target for quite some time now, and they last a good while.

Very cute outfit. All the reviews for these tights were bad and everyone seemed to have the same problem as you did :(. They are very cute though.

Love, love your outfit. You look so pretty!

I love comfy tights. Recently I bought two pairs and hate them. They are short on me too and just have way too skinny legs (or maybe mine are just way too big!) for the size/weight. Anyhow. Your polka-dots looked pretty for the picture.

~FringeGirl

I’ve been waiting for a picture to appear with the polka dot tights done in a more professional way! I love the way you styled them. Now you’re just going to have to buy another pair!
    With Luck

I love the pleated detail on the back! I’ve always been wary of high waisted pencil skirts because they look so… restrictive. Do you have any problems moving around in it?

Aw, such a bummer about the tights! I think Forever 21 is similar. Or at least it was a few years ago. I figured “One size fits all” really would fit all, but apparently not a 5’6″ medium weight girl. Had to toss those too! Love this skirt though! You look so tiny in it! :)And emerald is DEFINITELY a good color on you!

This is beautiful! I’m always impressed by your creativity. Someday I may be able to put together beautiful outfits like you. ( I am going to need LOTS of practice.)You look great!

I would check out Belk, that’s where I got my polka dot tights! and you can get a “Hosiery Card” and after you buy 10 pairs of tights, you get a pair free! Can’t wait to meet you Sunday!

Oh, I love it! I can’t wait to incorporate more emerald into my wardrobe. It’s one of my favorite colors.

Here’s a link to a pair of polka-dotted tights I’ve been eyeing. The dots are a little on the big side, but ASOS has other, similar patterned tights with tiny bows, crosses, and hearts. So cute!
    teaonsaturn.blogspot.com

{You did see that Tailor & Stylist has some polka dot tights, right??}

That skirt is so cute & a great price! Their prices are actually pretty great all the way around! Hmmmm…. ;-)

Love your shoes!

I love fancy tights! I usually get mine at Kohls. I usually have a hard time finding them long enough for me so they’re not sagging in the crotch! (my instead is 35″) I think most of mine are Vera Wang and they always last me a very long time. I was just there the other day and saw some black polka dot ones!

I just bought this skirt in black!! (the emerald was sadly sold out in my size) I also bought some polka dot tights from Tailor & Stylist – thank you for the discount code!!!

P.S. you look dang good in that skirt, fyi

Hi Kate…Kate here! As far as the tights go, I just did a tutorial on how to paint tights, and you could definitely do it to get polka dot tights–and it would be so cheap! I used silver paint on black tights…but you could do black on grey or black on black if they weren’t incredibly opaque. Here’s the link in case you want to take a look:

Not trying to advertise, just thought it would help! Good luck!

Kate

Is anyone familiar with the sizing and quality of Taylor & Stylist? There aren’t many reviews on the website but I found a really cute sweater dress I’m thinking to buy!

That outfit looks great on you! I am going back to work and although I have a home office I’ll be traveling to corporate once a month. I need cute outfits like this one!

Kate, Adorable skirt—love the back pleats! As to polka dot tights— try Wolford, worth te price and currently on sale @ Neiman Marcus, have to love that. The dots are a little larger, but still very cute.

Love it! Also that green dress with the high scraf neck line you have is Emerald. I found the same dress on clearance for $9. Needless to say I was excited.

I have polka dot tights from Jcrew Factory that are made in Italy and oh so luxe feeling! I have worn them several times and haven’t gotten a run yet. They are quite sheer though, and the dot pattern is denser (dots are more abundant!), but I really like them. Not available in control top though, which I do enjoy for smoothing any *ahem* bumps.

I love this outfit! The skirt, the bow on the belt, the polka dot tights – it’s beautiful and so feminine!

Sheree
    thehartungs.blogspot.ca

This skirt looks fabulous on you, Kate! Your curves looks so feminine and it compliments your little waist so nicely! I also love how you paired it with the cream blousey top and the gorgeous Anthro belt! And the polka dot tights? I die.

I have a pair of polka dot tights from White House|Black Market that I absolutely love. They are still very thin, which I think they probably have to be to have that sheer affect. But take a look…

I’ve had luck with tights and hose of all colors and patterns at Nordstrom’s hosiery dept. In fact, got some fun orange tights and a pair of over-the-knee socks to go with my flat boots just yesterday! Love the skirt and the necklace Kate!

You look fabulous!! I always think you look great and that your outfits are great, but this is the best! You look very tall and lean. Beautiful!

Hey Kate, I have been following your blog since I lived in Virginia (I originally found you via Pinterest when searching for hairstyles). Anywho, I am an NC State Graduate and my husband and I just moved back to the Raleigh area. I saw your post for this outfit and I loved the tights. It just so happens that I have to dress up next week at work for a presentation and decided I wanted some polka-dotted tights to snazzy up my outfit since I will be in front of 100 people or so. So off to the mall I went. I just wanted to let you know that I went to Crabtree Valley today and found some polka-dotted tights at The Limited for $10 (they were originally 20)- they have been marked down to 50% off. If you can make it in the next day or two they had quite a few left. I will e-mail a pic of my outfit since you inspired me for what to wear. Thanks Kate!

Girlie! You are fan-freakin-tastically gorgeous in that outfit! (As someone else said, not trying to date you.) You really know how to pull it all together and I’m glad that I found you on pinterest a while back.

Keep up the great posts!

Hello Kate! I’ve not checked online, but Old Navy had some really cute polka dot tights a couple of months ago, so you can probably find them super cheap now. Also check Forever21, they usually have tons of that kinda stuff pretty inexpensively.

Side note: I can really tell that you’re toning up! You’re looking great girl!

locketinmypocket.blogspot.com

Kate- DO you mind sharing what size you ordered in this skirt? I just got this skirt in size Medium but am wondering if I need to size up again to size Large? I am usually a size small so I took your advice and sized up to medium, but it still feels a bit tight. Does your skirt feel tight on you?