daily makeup routine

I’ve updated a few items in my daily makeup routine so I thought it was time to share my favorite products with you again.

1. Benefit It’s Potent Eye Cream. Applied daily under my eyes
2. Arbonne Makeup Primer. One pump used all over my face.
3. Mac Pro Longwear Concealer. Used under my eyes and on blemishes
4. Arbonne Perfecting Liquid Foundation. One pump used all over my face, oftentimes applied with fingers–occasionally a brush when I have time.
5. Tarte Blush in “Amused”
6. Neutrogena Bronzer
7. Mac Paint Pot in Painterly // eyeshadow primer. Applied by fingers on eyelid.
8. Mac eyeshadow in Era
9. Mac eyeshadow in Brun
10. Mac eyeshadow in Vanillla
11. Stila Smudge Stick in smoke // used on my lower lash line.
12. Sephora Eyelash Curler
13. Maybelline Gel Liner // used on my top lash line.
14. Tweezerman Tweezers.
15. Maybelline Eyebrow Pencil
16. Mac Studio Fix powder // used to set makeup.
17. Cover Girl Lash Blast Mascara
18. L’Oreal Voluminous False Fiber Lashes

I’m not very creative when it comes to doing my makeup. The most adventurous thing I try is a new lip color. You’ll find me in the same brown/neutral eyeshadow for years.

Do you find it hard to discover the right eyeshadow? It has taken me awhile to discover the right darkness, without being too smokey, without any hint of red or warmth. All the browns I wear have to be very neutral/blue based, otherwise I look like I’ve been crying for weeks.

My favorite product, of all that is pictured above, is the foundation. I wrote more about it here. Simply put, it’s the best foundation I’ve ever used. It’s not cheap, but it does last for months (depending on usage of course). And I have found it to be valuable to invest in a high quality foundation in order to avoid breakouts, bad coverage, or a mismatched tone.

I also love using that Stila Smudge Crayon in Smoke on my lower lash line. It gives depth and color, without looking too heavy or dark. And it’s reflective, so it both brightens and gives some color to my eyes.

Comments

So funny that you posted this because just yesterday I was searching your blog for your older post that listed your makeup products. I am strictly a bare minerals foundation and Mary Kay everything else girl but I am thinking about trying MAC!! Thanks for this timely post! :D

I just got the Benefit it’s potent eye cream in my December BirchBox and I have been loving it! I love it when I find the just right for me product :) I’ve been thinking about trying MAC…maybe I will add some colors to my Christmas list!

I also love a very neutral brown for my lids (also fair skin, lightish hair and blue eyes) but it works, so I’m okay with that. I am much more willing to branch out on eyes than I am on lips, though. I cannot bring myself to wear anything other than a nude pink lip if my life depended on it.
    I also have a tried and true LashBlast + L’oreal Voluminous mascara routine!
    I love these kinds of posts, thanks!

The problem with Arbonne is that you can’t test in a store. When ordering for the first time, how do you know what color to choose? Did you test it at a party?

Hi guys you have a fantastic blog , i would just like to invite all your readers to look at my new site
    http://www.phukethairclinic.com MSP (Micro Scalp Pigmentation) is a highly advanced, modern hair loss treatment for a man that replicates actual shaven hair follicles on the scalp. The illusion is so realistic that you actually think you have hair, and so does everyone else. Get what style icons and celebrities are calling “The next male grooming must-have”.

Thanks for sharing! I’m not attached to any of the products that I currently use, so I always like getting recommendations!
    Also, just wanted to tell you that I really like the way you’ve been starting off posts lately, with the picture and the title over top of it!

I am always on the hunt for the perfect eyeshadow; I’m pretty sure it doesn’t exist. ; )

I am also fair, blue eyes, naturally dishwater blonde/light brown hair and really struggle with makeup colors. Any eyeshadow that has any hint of red makes my eyes look so bloodshot too. Recently I’ve been wearing Bare Minerals Ready Eyeshadow Palette in The Escape. There are two colors in the palette, a nice light gray and a cream base. They even have tips on the Bare Minerals website for application ideas. Thanks for sharing; your blog is so cute!

What is a good under eye primer you have used? I am constantly battling my concealer setting into the fine lines under my eyes. I use an anti-aging eye cream am/pm and have been for about 8 years. Bummer for fine lines!

• says

I use the It’s Potent eye cream under my eyes before applying my concealer. Well moisturized skin will help prevent the concealer from settling in, but if you need something thicker, I suggest heading to Sephora and asking an associate–they are fantastic.

I love your products! I’ve been looking into getting an eye cream, because that area is just getting worse and worse for me (and I’m only 21, so it can’t just be age!).
    And it’s interesting what you said about needing completely cool-toned shadows. I’m so cautious of too many cool-toned shadows on my eyes because I’m afraid it’ll start looking bruisy! But you never look bruisy, haha. So our undertones are probably different!

Per your suggestion, I bought the sephora wrinkle filler but i’ve used it all and sephora no longer sells it! Do you have a product that you like just as much? Thanks and have a Merry Christmas!

This was just what I was looking for! It’s so nice to see what you use for those of us that are clueless about makeup but want to figure it out. Thanks! I’m going to go to Sephora to get specific advice for my skin/eye color but now I feel like I’ve got the right idea of where to start.

I never line my lower lash line because I feel like it always looks to heavy/dark. I’ll have to check out the Smudge Crayons!

And after that, I must dive into the world of lip color. I never wear lipstick, because with full lips and very fair skin, I feel like a clown when I wear color on my lips! I need a “your lips but better” color! :)

I feel the same about eyeshadow! I stick with the same brand/colors forever! I did just buy the Naked2 palette from Urban Decay and it has the perfect colors for light skinned people. It is great! Can you order Arbonne foundation through their website or do you need to go through a representative?

I have a question. Since you are so amazing with your beauty skills I figured you may be able to help. My face is very ashy. Its crazy because it was oily before. Im figuring that it is hormones because I am breastfeeding my third child. It seems no amount of moisturizer works. The dryness is focused around my lips and nose, not very attractive. I do not have manly hair yet it looks like it. Could you point me into the right direction?

I’m a little braver with the eye makeup (not too much though), but I’m always a little scared to experiment with the lip. I’m going to have to cave and try the red lip though, it’s so classic!

Regarding what you’ve said about investing in a good foundation – I could not agree more! I have been using MAC Studio Fix powder foundation for years (I apply it with a brush, not the sponge applicator it comes with), but once in a while, I get seduced by other foundations. Most of them don’t live up to my expectations. Back to MAC I go! Thanks for posting the specific colours of your eye makeup too – your eye makeup always looks beautiful.

I just spent a small fortune at ULTA yesterday! Now, I want to try the arbonne foundation and primer. I am currently using the urban decay naked palette and eyeliner and like it so far. I’m like you though, if something states that it’s gonna make my life easier and make me look like a supermodel (ha!) I’ll try it!! : )

That seems like a lot. Does it get old applying it everyday? I ask out of honest curiosity because I hardly ever wear anything and when I do it’s usually just a sheer tinted cream, blush, and mascara. I guess if you consider lip balm makeup I wear that a lot. :)

Hi Kate! Thanks for the update! I am meeting with an Arbonne consultant this week and am excited to try this foundation too now.

Just checking – is the Tarte Blush the exposed nude that comes up when you click on the link? It looks a little different in the different pictures. Thanks!

Kelli

Hey Kate! I LOVE your blog! I look forward to reading it every day :) This question doesn’t really go with this post, but I’ve been meaning to ask you for a while…..you said you wear a camisole under your shirts/sweaters to prevent bra line from showing, and I do that too! I wear a tank top under everything!! Do you mind sharing what kind of cami you wear? Thanks!!

Kate, you’ve shown two mascaras — under what circumstances do you use each one, or do you use both at the same time? If so, do you layer them (in what order?) or do you use one on upper lashes and one on lower?

What shade of Tarte blush do you use? I tried searching the archives, but nothing popped up. It’s a very nice pink for those fair-skinned ladies out in the world, such as myself

I’ve just discovered your blog {through Pinterest!} and I love it. I’ve been pinning stuff like crazy from here!
    I love how you do your make up, especially love the colour of your blush. I’m going to have a look and see if I can get any of those products over here in England.

I agree…Arbonne foundation and primer are the best! With the foundation, I don’t even need a full pump to get the coverage I need. Love me some Arbonne!

I totally understand your eyeshadow dilemma. Anytime I wear eye makeup with a hint of purple or pink I get comments about how tired I look. Oh to be a fair skinned blonde!

This are my fave posts!! I love checking what other people like. We have the same routine, brown/neutral for eyes, pop of colour on the cheeks and lips :D

Which lipstick are you wearing on the pic??

I love this post! It often interests me to see what other women’s make up routines are, and how they differ from mine. I love primer, although I haven’t tried the brand you use. I’ve also never tried an eyeshadow primer, but it seems tempting!
    thehartungs.blogspot.ca

Hi, Kate… nice entry… I wanted to mention that Smashbox makes cream eyeliner that is amazing. There’s even a little 8 pack of all different colors you might like to have on hand. There’s black in there, but also a cool charcoal and a deep bronze that would look amazing with the natural look you have going. Just thought I’d mention it… :)

Hi I was wondering have you ever tried Mary Kay. I am a consultant and have worn the stuff for 17 years. I do more of the skin care & don’t wear much makeup while at home with the kids. Do u like it? Why your other makeup choices??? Price? Better on your skin? Or never tried them?

I love your blog! And I love your look, but I am trying to find dupes. Any suggestions? I am an animal lover and unfortunately AVON, MARY KAY and Estee Lauder brands (which include MAC, Bobbi Brown, Smashbox, and CLINIQUE) are no loner cruelty free. They used to be, but they have decided to move into the Chinese market which requires animal testing, so I can’t in good conscience support them.
    I don’t think a lot of people are aware of it, since it was done very quietly- really sneaky, since they know the US market doesn’t really like that kind of thing

Kate have you used Tarte products? I was a MAC girl forever but switched to tarte amazonian clay foundation. I love it! Would love it if you blogged about their products I would love to get more of them! Thanks!

Kate, on a recent makeup video update (I think) you mentioned the Bobbi Brown concealer for under eyes. Do you still recommend the Mac over that? Also, how well do either work with Bare Minerals foundation? I’m not sure about using a liquid or cream concealer with a powder foundation. Thanks!