Beauty 101: Contouring Your Face

I’ve only been contouring my face for the past few months, and mainly only do it when I’m filming or taking photos for the blog (which is often. . .so I guess I contour my face quite often!). It’s a great way to add color and depth to an otherwise “flat” one-color face.

This is my guide to a quick contour. There are so many other great resources for more detailed and in depth contouring guides, so I recommend your search ” face contouring” in the pinterest search function. or click here

However, for the very basics and about a 30 second quick contour, follow the steps below!

*I’m a little heavy-handed with my products just to ensure you can see the placement on my face. Don’t feel like you need to add more product to contour, simply the right amount in the right location.

*lip color is Revlon “Pink in the Afternoon”, earrings: Elisabeth Ashlie, nail polish: Essie’s Midnight Cami, top: The Loft

See what a difference the highlighter makes? And in person–it definitely brightens up your face! It’s a great way to transfer the summer glow into a season appropriate glow.

My guess is you already have blush and bronzer, so if you want to test out this method right away, use  some light eye shadow in place of the Bare Minerals highlighter. If you like the look, definitely invest in the highlighter!

Comments

1. Kimberly says

Thank you for sharing the lip color you’re wearing…so pretty! What navy polish are you wearing? It’s so helpful when you list the color products you’re wearing :)

Thank you for this tutorial! I haven’t tried contouring yet because I haven’t quite figured out the right bronzer for my skin tone. It’s so tricky when you’re super pale!

Do you have a lipgloss over your Pink in the Afternoon? Mine looks so matte on my lips.

Thanks for the tutorial, this is great! I’ve never used a highlighter before but always hear great things about them. I LOVE Bare Minerals and actually just ran out of Mineral Veil so I might have to pick up this highlighter when I go. Happy Friday!

I think I may need to invest in some lipstick, it makes your whole face just pop! Love this quick contour guide too because it’s not too in-depth for everyday use.

5. Anonymous says

This may seem silly but I’d like to see a post of all your nail polishes. You pull off trendy colors and keep it classy!

6. Anonymous says

Great tutorial! I can’t get the link to the top you are wearing to work. Does it have different stripes on the sleeves?

Love this! I’ve never used a highlighter so I’ll definitely try it! Can you tell me what color eyeshadows you are wearing? I saw you responded above that they are your usual ones but I’m not sure what those are! Thank you!!

I’m going to try the highlighting and also the blush from Benefit you recommended. I loved the color of your lipstick but I also wanted to ask (weird question) – do you use any tooth whitening products? I am looking into strips and noticed how white your teeth looked when I was oohing and ahhing your lipstick. Thanks in advance! :-)

9. Heather says

Honestly…no lie. I did this yesterday and today and it seriously and truly made a difference. I wish I paid more attention to this like for the past 16 years!

10. Alana Kay says

LOVE this post! I currently contour using only blush and bronzer, and am excited to try a highlighter – thanks for recommending a great product. :)
    Do you use a contour brush to apply the bronzer? If so, what brush?

This was so helpful! I’ve been looking for a great highlighter that isn’t too sparkly…I may have to make a trip to sephora and pick this up today!

Is Coralista similar to NARS Orgasm blush? I have a lot of the other Benefit blushes, bronzers, highlighters…but not Coralista. Also, thanks for the highlighter tip! I’ve been wanting a new one to try.

Love your site!
    Brittany of @suburbchicblog

I love your blog!! And I love this post – it’s nice to find new things to freshen up my boring day-to-day makeup routine. I’m excited to try this. Oh, have you ever heard of Ruche? It’s an online clothing boutique. I just think some of the clothes/jewelry reminds me of your style (plus they’re really affordable). http://www.shopruche.com Thanks!

Hilary, UT

14. Erin says

When using the highlighter, do you put it on before or after powder? I find that when I put it on before my powder, the effect is not that same, but if I put it on after the powder you can see obvious lines of where I put it on?

15. Paige says

I’ve been looking for a highlighter for quite some time. Just bought the $22 BareMinerals brightener because of your post. Now that’s power. ;)

Kate, I love everything about your blog! Great post! Any tips on disguising rosey undertones?

On a side note, what is the font used on your pictures in this post? I love it! Sorry if this has been asked before. Thanks!

17. Anonymous says

Another awesome kit I found for highlighting the face is the “Tropicoral” kit by benefit for sephora. It has coralista, high beam, cha cha tint, and a great gloss. I am obsessed with coralista it is so awesome! Thanks for showing it here!