Poppy Shrimp?

I was enticed by this lip color months ago when it first came out. It was a custom shade created just for J.Crew in the perfect color–a universally flattering shade of red/orange/pink/coral

And then I saw it was on sale. So I snatched a tube.

And then I discovered something. . .

It nearly matched my nails exactly. Cajun Shrimp is a popular shade of polish from OPI that isn’t too orange, but isn’t red. And Poppy King for J.Crew is almost identical in nature–it isn’t too orange, but isn’t red either. So if you ever wondered what Cajun Shrimp would look like in a lipstick shade, well I think Poppy King is as close as you will get.

And there you have it. My discovery for the day.

Consider yourself enlightened.

*I rushed and rushed and rushed to get these photos taken so I could post this and you would be able to get the lipstick while it was on clearance. But unfortunately J.Crew sold out. I’m sorry! If anyone knows any shades similar to this one, share it in the comments below!

Comments

Didn’t you have a post up about jcrew jewelry on eBay? I can’t find it anymore and when it was up I didn’t have a chance to click the link. Thank you!

• Anonymous says

It was another blog, whoops. I think I just saw the necklace on your 30 for 30 and thought it was your post when I was thinking back. Thanks so much!

Very pretty color.

I just found your blog recently and I’m enjoying the hair tutorials. I’ve been trying them out and practicing. I’m not skilled in hairstyling like you, but I think with practice I can improve.

Thanks for the great posts and sharing your expertise.

3. Mandy says

I’m in love with this color! I generally don’t paint my fingernails, I just keep them manicured with clear polish, but my toes I’ve always done the french manicure so it would go with whatever I wear. BUT I’ve discovered this OPI color and it ironically goes with just about everything! If there is a high five for summer, this polish is on the list:)

4. Anonymous says

Love that color…Cajun Shrimp is one of my favorite nail polish colors so I know I would have liked this shade in a lipstick! Maybe they will bring it back!

I’m a new reader to your site and love, love it! I’m addicted to Aquage Uplifting Foam now! You seriously should work for them!!

Enjoying your posts…..
    Jan

5. Samantha says

I would try “Sunny Citrus” my MaryKay if you like this color; it is a reddish/orange/coral and is close. It’s not exact, but it’s a nice alternative if this one is sold out. :)

I recently bought Cajun Shrimp but am yet to paint my nails with it, but I can’t wait to try it!!

-Alice
    shinyprettythings-alice.blogspot.co.uk

x

I’m not a big lipstick gal but I adore that OPI shade! Must have it :) I’ve also been loving Essie enuf is enuf and watermelon. Coral/pink/orange shades are my fav right now. Thanks for sharing!

8. Kristin says

I’m been looking for a good lipstick for awhile now. This might be the ONE!

Also, Kate, what style bag is your cream-colored Kate Spade? I’m in love with in, and in search of one myself.

So funny because the dress I am wearing today is the same exact color and I had a wedding Friday that my nails were done in the Cajun Shrimp Gel polish and toes to match (not gel). I think the corally color is my new fave!

10. Anonymous says

Just snatched up a tube of this on sale (+extra 30% off) a few days ago! I’d been stalking it for months! Mine is still in the mail – now I’m super excited to get it! Thanks for the post :)

I have been following your blog for a couple weeks now and LOVE IT!!! I had to go to the dermatologist this week to have a precancer froze off my nose so I have not been feeling very pretty (no make-up) but thanks to your hair tutorials, I have awesome hair. I read J Crew will be restocking the lipstick soon!!! Thanks Kate!!! :-)

12. Anonymous says

Love your blog! That color looks great on you! The perfect mix of red/coral/orange in my opinion. Love the hair tutorials, I’ve been a braiding fool!! Thanks!!

Poppy and coral don’t work on me, but they’re fab on you! Your eyeshadow, however, would look great on me…what brand/color is it?

14. Lindsay. E. says

Maybelline’s Coral Crush is an EXACT match for J.Crew’s color! I have it and I love it! Save your $$ and head to the drugstore!

• says

I’m not super familiar with that area , but it looks to me like the clssoet location listed on the chart is Farmington, with a date of May 1. If you tend to have similar weather to Farmington, I would use that date. You’re right on the edge of the two groups. If it is a mild winter/spring and you are excited, I would follow the yellow schedule. If it is a cold winter-spring and you are more relaxed, I would use the green schedule.

• says

I’m really exetcid to get your wonderful info and am looking forward to Spring and planting. We live in Lehi on the West side of the freeway just South of Thanksgiving Point. Are we on the same schedule as Pleasant Grove?? Thanks so much.

I have not read all the comments here so this may be covered but I have heard that cajun shrimp has been retired. I have always been frightened of this bright of lip color but it looks fabulous on you! Lipstick is the one part of cosmetics that I still probably do not get right. I love pinks and usually wear a very soft color. msqueenfashionista.com

I read on another site that Revlon Colorburst Lip Butter in Candy Apple is pretty similar. The color looks great on you! I am not sure how it will look on me. I will probably try the nail color, though!

17. Anonymous says

I’ve just glanced over the comments, and maybe I’ve missed it, but what CHEEK COLOR are you wearing with it?? (I’d love some more info on the colors and highlighter?? you’re wearing in other pictures, too (pinks) – because it’s sooo pretty! Thanks!)

18. Lindsey says

I also recieved the same birchbox.

I thought the tanning wipes were very subpar. I did not like that I could not see where I was applying the self tanner, could not tell if it was blending properly, and the smell was UGH & the color was just ok. IMO- the best self tanner ( and I have tried many ! ) is St.Tropez mousse. You get and instant beautiful color, it does not stink( my husband is very scent sensitive and he hasn’t complained once) & applied with a special sponge mitt that you purchase seperately- it goes on smoothly & you can visually see what the heck your doing. I really love the fact that I can have pale legs once minute and within a few minutes – a nice soft tan that within a few hoursdeepins to a nice tan. It also dries quickly.
    I haven’t tried the brush cleaner as of yet. The lip stain was too dark for my coloring, but looks good as a cheek brightener. Especially if I add a touch of bronzer before I apply it.

I used the leave in spray on my son’s hair. : )

Love, love, love this color on you so I went to the Meijer to search out something similar but less expensive. I found Cover Girl’s Fairytale. It was on sale and I had a dollar off coupon so I only paid 3.99+tax. Yay!! I’m not use to the color but I think it looks ok on me. I’ve always had a hard time wearing coral but I think this may work. Love your blog!!

20. Anonymous says

After reading your blog I rushed out and purchased OPI Cajun shrimp. LOVE the color. I did notice today that in certain area of the polished nail there are black streaks. Has anyone else noticed that? Could it be from the clear top coat and not the OPI polish? I do not notice the streaks on every nail.
    Julie

Hi Kate ! Thank you for your generosity on your 26th birthday. I entered the drawing and was hoping to leave you a message or comment, however the script “rafflecopter”on my ipad didn’t allow me to leave a comment. Anyway, Happy 26th Birthday. You have a lot to celebrate in life…..

Enjoying your blog every week! Simcerely, Kim from Wisconsin

22. Christine Cano says

Happy Birthday Kate! I just came across a video hair tutorial of yours on pinterest and ended up reading your blog for an hour. I don’t usually look at blogs but I just love your hair and wish I could do something with mine. I am definitely hair style challenged. You come across sweet and engaging in your video’s – great job!