Beauty Blender

I received that pink teardrop shaped sponge pictured above in my February Birchbox. It’s called a Beauty Blender. It is used for applying liquid foundation.
It’s been years since I’ve used any kind of sponge to apply my liquid foundation. I remember hearing that it can absorb the product and therefore “waste” some of it, and I’m sure I stopped using it shortly thereafter. I have no idea if it actually absorbs enough to waste the product, but nonetheless, I switched to brushes.
I really like brushes. I also really like to use my fingers.

but now. . .

I really like the Beauty Blender. I read somewhere that it makes your foundation “look like it’s airbrushed”. I think thats actually true. The foundation goes on smoothly and evenly. And I don’t have use a lot!
I was using the beauty blender dry until I actually read the directions and saw that you should wet it (but then squeeze it out really good), and then use it. I tap about a quarter size amount of foundation on the top of my left hand, then dot the beauty blender on it and apply it to my face.

I’ve been using it for about a week and only really used one section of it. I’m hoping to slowly work my way around so I use a “fresh” section each day. I’m curious to see how long it lasts!

So if you were looking for a new application method, or also received the beauty blender in your February Birchbox (lucky you), I’d highly recommend it.

Comments

1. Heather says

Thanks for recommending Birchbox to us. I have been getting mine for about 3 months now. I love it. Several times, I have recieved products I’ve been looking into, the beauty blender being one of them. I love it! I use a lot less foundation using this. Thanks so much for all the great advice/tips!!!

• says

I got mine from ULTA for only $4 and it was worth it!!! They’re all pretty much the same so if u get one for $2 it’s no different from one that’s $25 (: get it!!

I just subscribed so I’ll get my box in March! Can’t wait. I was looking into glambag, but even though you might get full size, you also don’t get the points like with birchbox on full-size products.

I didn’t know you were supposed to use the Beauty Blender wet! I have been using it dry and it works well too! Can’t wait to see if it will make a difference!

LOVE the Beauty Blender! I have been using it for about a year now for both my own makeup as well as my Mary Kay clients thanks to Robert Jones. He is a phenomenal makeup artist who really suggested using it for the “airbrush look”. Thanks for sharing!

It’s a revolutionary product for me! I love using the tip for harder to reach areas. I wash it every other day with a super gentle cleanser rather than beauty blender brand though.

I love reading your blog! I also subscribe to Birchbox and look forward each month to read your blog to compare what we each got. Thanks for doing what you do!

7. Anonymous says

I have been using the Beauty Blender for years and love it! Mine last a long time and hold up very well. Which is important to me as the sponge is expensive. I have used the recommended beauty blender cleaner to clean it, but in a pinch sulfate free shampoo works well. Definately use it damp…wet and squeeze out the extra moisture. You will never go back to a cheap sponge again!

8. Jackie says

I got the beauty blender in my February birchbox as well, and I highly recommend it! My makeup looks fresh all day long instead of looking half rubbed off by the end of the day.

I received mine one in my Birchbox too and LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it. I used mine dry. (never read directions!). I cannot wait to try tomorrow wet.

love your blog! Thanks for putting such an amazing effort into sharing with everyone. I look forward to seeing you everyday over my cup of coffee!

I tried the Beauty Blender for a few weeks but it seems to cultivate a lot of bacteria too no matter how well I cleaned it. It broke me out quite a lot.
    Since then I stuck to the new Shiseido foundation brush, it’s a good brush, works much better than any foundation brush from MAC, Sigma etc I’ve ever used before

I just ordered the set of two from Birchbox with my points and I’m so excited to try it! Also, as it’s been mentioned, you can clean it and reuse it over and over. If you care for it properly it should last you quite some time!

Boo, I didn’t get it in my Birchbox! I will look into it though. Did get a fantastic product for minimizing dark spots ( I’m a bit older than you so I guess I go this instead of the beauty blender…LOL). Thanks for all your tutorials. Had someone tell me my hair looked GREAT the other day…LOL Used the Aquage uplifting foam and the Kenra 26!

So glad you posted about this! I received the blender in my box and had to research it because I wasn’t sure what it was. Do you use liquid foundation? I use Bare Escentuals powder so I’m wondering if I can still use it. Thoughts??

14. Amanda says

I just signed up for Birchbox b/c of your great reviews! I just received my first one and was a bit disappointed by the contents, the worst being these weird sticker things for your eyelids that’s supposed to be over-dramatic eyeliner, something I would NEVER use. I’m gonna hang in there another month to see what happens. I just wish I could get the cool stuff you seem to get!

• says

Hang in there Amanda! I got those werido eye liner things too! I threw them out. It is probably the first item I have received from birchbox and was like “I’ll never use this” I’ve been getting birchbox since October and have added many items to my beauty must haves.

• Valerie says

Oh no ladies! The sticker eyeliner is amazing. You can cut them down so they’re not as dramatic. I would agree it’s not for every day, but on a night out I like to have a darker eye and it’s great b/c the eyeliner isn’t smearing all over the place. Best part is when you’re tired you can just peel it off.

I love the beauty blender, got mine a couple years ago. Wanted to let you know, you can wash it! And should, best case senario, wash it after every use to avoid bacteria buildup which can cause acne and irritated skin. There is a specific cleaner thats made for it and works really well (plus it smells yummy!) But you can also just use gentle hand soap, works great also! Hope you like the beauty blender!

Checkout my blog! http://www.beformblog.blogspot.com

I got the Beauty Blender in my Feb box as well and do like it. I still canceled my Birchbox, tho. Although there are several things that I have liked – they just aren’t big enough samples to make it worth $10 a month to me.

Love my birch box! I received the beauty blender and absolutely love it! I don’t use liquid foundation but I used the tip of it for my under eye cream concealer (the one I got in Jan birchbox) and then I use the middle part with my mineral powder from MAC and use the bottom to buff in my creek color from MAC. LOVE IT!

I agree with a few other girls here. I just got my first Birchbox this month and was pretty disappointed with my box! :( You seem to always get some really great products! I’m gonna hang in there a few more months and see how it goes.

Is there any reasoning to why people get different products? I went on their website and did the “personalization” questions.. did you do that? Did it seem to help at all? I really want to like Birchbox!

19. Anonymous says

I’ve just picked up some new makeup brushes. They promise the “airbrush effect,” too! I’m beyond excited about the results I’ve gotten so far! Sephora Airbrush foundation and concealer brushes. They’re a little pricey, but they’re totally worth it.

20. Anonymous says

You get much better things in your Birchbox than I do! I’ve only gotten it for 2 months and I’m going to try 1 more month and then decide if I want to continue or not.

• Anonymous says

I totally agree – it seems like only bloggers get the cool Birchboxes. After 3 months, I haven’t received 1 thing that I would purchase full price!

• says

make sure your profile really represents your beauty personality. I signed up with a friend a few months ago and she is always disappointed with her box, but she always loves everything in mine. When we sat down to compare profiles I had to laugh as she had selected “trendy” and “adventurous” for her make-up routine…it’s no wonder she was getting stick-on eyeliner and tattoo lip things she hated!

I’ve used both the Beauty Blender and Sonia Kashuk blue sponge and they are nothing alike, other than slight resemblance in the shape. The Beauty Blender is kind of soft and squishy and gets bigger when you wet it and then squeeze it out. Very soft application. The Sonia Kashuk sponge is very dense and doesn’t really make a difference if it’s wet or dry. It’s more of a typical sponge with an ergodynamic shape. Hope that helps!

I totally agree with you! I thought the same thing until a few months ago! I work at a make up store (Merle Norman) and we are taught to apply the liquid with a brush… I prefer the sponge like yours, but since it isn’t a Merle product we aren’t allowed to use them, which stinks! But I so agree! It’s amazing.

I’m totally jealous! my Feb Birchbox was very dissappointing, nothing good unless you like powdered mouthrinse!!
    I have heard of the beauty blender and have been wanting to try it, thanks for the post! I will have to look for one to try.

I didn’t get that in my Birch box:(. I got my first one this month and I will try it again next month, but there was not one thing in mine that I liked! :( I am hoping for something more useful next month. I thought since it was Feb they may do something towards v-day I guess not. You seem to enjoy it so maybe I will like next month more.

I’ve been reading only great reviews about it, and I just unsubscribed from the Birchbox…I should have waited for 1 more month…I guess I’ll go get at Sephora.

I actually sell this thing where I work, and I’ve been contemplating purchasing it. I think I might have to, after reading your review on it! I just use my fingers right now to apply my MAC foundation, but it really doesn’t do that great of a job…so, I am going to buy the beauty blender and see how I like it. Thanks for this tip!!

Hi Kate, just recently stumbled on to your blog and just wanted to say that as a free lance make up artist I highly recommend the beauty blender. It is a great tool and can also be used as an eraser of sorts. If you ever apply too much blush you can use the beauty blender to blend it better (for lack of a better term) it will pick up some of the color and keep it but it will also help distribute it more evenly.

28. Jody says

Hi Kate! I was reading about the Beauty Blender online (because of course now I want one!), apparently there is a cleanser for it. Check out their website.

Also, to those who were disappointed with their Birchbox this month – fill out your online beauty profile. I got my mom a subscription for Christmas and decided to go ahead and get myself one as well. We get completely different things each month. Hers not so good and mine are much better… I am wondering if it’s because I completed the profile and she did not. Just a thought.

29. Anonymous says

Hi Kate! I got the Beauty Blender in my Feb. box, too! I researched how to use it with Bare Escentuals(what I use) and it works great for the mineral makeup. I have used mine damp and love it. Just wanted to let you know that you can use it with mineral makeup, too!

30. Anonymous says

Hey Kate, I just had a question for you. First I noticed in one of your posts you said you have oily skin and still use foundation. I also have oily skin. I used to use clinique but stopped because I thought it made my skin more oily. Which foundation would you recommend for oily skin?