All you need is a few good bobby pins and hairspray!
1. If your hair doesn't have any product in it, go ahead and spray a little bit a hairspray all over so it has some "grab".
2. You can tease at the crown for a little extra lift (see this video for teasing)
3. Begin by sectioning off a small section at the back crown of your head and secure with two bobby pins running parallel.
4. Loosely grab a section on one side of your head and pull it back and over the bobby pins in the center. Essentially, you are covering those first pins so you don't see a mess of bobby pins it the back.
5. Do the same on the opposite side and cross over the section you just did. Secure with a pin or two and your done with the Half Up part. You can leave it just like this!
6. If you want to continue into an updo, swirl your hair in a circle, hold in place with one hand, and begin adding pins to the circle to hold it in place.
(see those pins in there? If you stick them in perpendicular to your head you won't see too much of them!)
And there you have it! Perfect simple updo that anyone can do! It helps to have hair approximately shoulder length or longer for the updo part, but anyone with shorter hair can always do the half up!
Good Luck and let me know how it goes!